Q that's most definitely not supposed to be in a past HSC... (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Capture.PNG

Nowhere in the syllabus are we required to know TWO current applications of superconductors. One is obviously Maglev. Success One uses the LHC in the sample answer but nope, nowhere in the syllabus.

We do learn about POTENTIAL uses e.g. motors and generators, power transmission lines, integrated circuits but none of this current use nonsense.

It was 2010 paper for reference, in the Core. Slightly frustrated.

fatima96

HSC
Mate I just did the same paper as you lmao and I had no idea wth to write as a second application so i just bullshitted about power lines :p

fatima96

HSC
Here's the sample answer. The wording of the question is just terrible.

Question 27
Sample answer:
Two other applications of superconductors are in maglev trains and for the transmission of
electricity through power grids.
Although very few are in commercial operation, maglev trains are in principle capable of
transporting people in a faster and more energy-efficient way. Both of these advances are
because the maglev principle removes the problem of wheel-track friction at high speeds. The
availability of faster transport has an effect on society because it either reduces travel time,
allowing higher productivity or more time with family. By reducing wheel-track friction the
maglev principle also reduces the energy cost of transport, which has positive benefits for the
environment.
Superconducting electricity transmission is currently used for short distances, where a large
amount of power must be transmitted or where space for cables is severely limited. This has a
positive effect on society because it enables large amounts of power to be transmitted through
underground cables in cities without requiring large overhead wires. Because superconducting
cables also reduce overall power losses they have positive benefits for the environment too.

emilios

HSC
omg 23b fucked with me too.

shouldn't have done this paper it completely destroyed my confidence.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I've seen this dot point in a textbook which followed the syllabus, and it listed maglev + transmission lines as uses for a superconductor, basically what the guy above me said.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Heere is the dot point "process information to discuss possible applications of superconductivity and the effects of those applications on computers, generators and motors and transmission of electricity through power grids'

fatima96

HSC
Did you mark your paper? what did you end up getting? I got 66% -_- Won't be shocked if I get 70 in the hsc as my scaled mark at this point :|

emilios

HSC
Did you mark your paper? what did you end up getting? I got 66% -_- Won't be shocked if I get 70 in the hsc as my scaled mark at this point :|
no i didn't cos that would only further destroy my confidence :/

oh well either
1) my internal rank will carry
2) it won't count

such is life

Hauser878

HSC
For 23 (b), once the ball is released, from the point of view of someone on the train, the ball accelerates in two directions.
1) Constant acceleration downwards due to gravity
2) Constant acceleration to the side, as the train is accelerating (in the train's frame of reference, the ball is accelerating away from it).
We know the train is accelerating because there are "fictitious forces" on the ball (there appears to be a force pushing the ball to the right)
Therefore, since there is a constant vertical and constant horizontal acceleration, the net acceleration is constant (adding a constant to a constant will be a constant).
Therefore, since there is constant acceleration, the ball travels in a straight line (diagonally).
This is one of those questions which just about everyone gets wrong when they first look at it (I know I did) so don't worry.
Hope this helps and good luck for tomorrow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)