Q: "What kind of lawyer do you want to be?" A: "A rich one!" (1 Viewer)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
and as if that isn't dire enough... to quote my legal ethics lecturer last week "when recessions come around, lawyers are the first to go"
That's not true. A full-service law firm can do well in any market, as long as they put their lawyers where the work is.

HSC
N/A
I think people devalue the benefits of working in the public sector. Quite obviously the earning potential is much smaller, however it provides a much greater work/life balance, added job security with a relatively decent income.
Wow, you're advocating the public sector? That's balls, man; doesn't the dearth of compensatory gains mean anything to anyone who doesn't have this thing they call a 'soul'? xD

IMO, any law that deals with systems in which material property is a core focus, specifically, isn't worth doing; that is, nooo to Comm-Law. :spzz:
Marmalade. said:
That's not true. A full-service law firm can do well in any market, as long as they put their lawyers where the work is.
I thought the fact that antisheep's statement, a generalization and a fallacy, was 'nuff said in itself. :p

Basically, it's specious and his/her (legal ethics lecturer's) claim holds no ground.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
that's not all there is to it Eclipse, the fact of the matter is that Law has been repeatedly listed as an over-supplied industry... law graduates are being pumped out at epic proportions and there simply aren't enough jobs for every single one of them to be a practitioner... let alone in the massive law firms...

and as if that isn't dire enough... to quote my legal ethics lecturer last week "when recessions come around, lawyers are the first to go"
That's why he's a legal ethics lecturer and not a partner at Freehills.

The first who went in this recession are:

forex/commodites/equities/fixed income traders/sales people, private equity/hedge fund employees, m&a investment bankers

the next to go turned out to be working class (think Pacific Brands, General Motors)

the major law firms save I think Blakes and Corrs basically have not laid off anyone in Australia. Even my friends at CBRE (if you know what that is) have been laid off in packs

Eclipse008

HSC
N/A
Law for money: welcome to the dark side, and oh, hey money/personal gains. That's awesome.

Law+something else?

ETA: Thread title; public defender, then private-practice attorney.
Or something.
Well yes that's the assumption. There aren't that many unis that offer law as a single degree.

that's not all there is to it Eclipse, the fact of the matter is that Law has been repeatedly listed as an over-supplied industry... law graduates are being pumped out at epic proportions and there simply aren't enough jobs for every single one of them to be a practitioner... let alone in the massive law firms...

That may be so, but just because you have a law degree it doesn't mean you have to end up as a solicitor. Many of my peers want to become journalists, or financial advisors, etc, but do a law degree to enhance their employment prospects.

antisheep

HSC
I thought the fact that antisheep's statement, a generalization and a fallacy, was 'nuff said in itself. :p

Basically, it's specious and his/her (legal ethics lecturer's) claim holds no ground.
It seems i have been misunderstood in this thread

perhaps its my fault for not elaborating enough... but what i meant is in-house lawyers... those that make up a fairly large chunk of the legal practitioner workforce that are lawyers for large companies.... Companies lay them off left right and centre in times like this in favour of outsourcing to law firms when needed... don't believe me? Check the news. I think that Telstra was the last one to fire their legal team.

but perhaps you being a condescending prat didn't help either... the fact of the matter is that you shouldn't just write-off a statement without looking into it yourself...

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Well yes that's the assumption. There aren't that many unis that offer law as a single degree.
Bachelor of Legal Letters and Bachelor of Science.

Study the law of Man and laws of nature!
That may be so, but just because you have a law degree it doesn't mean you have to end up as a solicitor. Many of my peers want to become journalists, or financial advisors, etc, but do a law degree to enhance their employment prospects.
As said, law is an excellent general degree.
Not really?
I don't give a shit for antisheep's remarks, or most anyone's (and frankly, this further reinforces their point; that I'm a condescending prat, which is all fine). I'll tell you when I get torn a new orifice.
... anyway, yeah, my attempt at logic-bashing ftl.
antisheep said:
perhaps its my fault for not elaborating enough... but what i meant is in-house lawyers... those that make up a fairly large chunk of the legal practitioner workforce that are lawyers for large companies.... Companies lay them off left right and centre in times like this in favour of outsourcing to law firms when needed... don't believe me? Check the news. I think that Telstra was the last one to fire their legal team.
antisheep, I didn't sort of look into the facts, but thanks for that. There was something particularly meritorious about that post. My bad.

HSC
N/A
I know; I did Latin.

LLB = 'Bachelor of Legal Letters': American and wrong, like that; or, facetious. :p

antisheep

HSC
antisheep, I didn't sort of look into the facts, but thanks for that. There was something particularly meritorious about that post. My bad.
Appreciate it Lucid...

Sorry i resorted to name calling :p

and I didn't know what LLB stood for... always somewhat confused me so thanks for the info guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)