Q16 (1 Viewer)

christopher8827

HSC
N/A
Oh shit. For question 16)a - did anyone assign the parallel lines for the corresponding angle wrong? I think I might have switched them around.... Anyone know the correct answer?

Seal7

HSC
How do you get 1/2 for c) ii)?

When I try it I keep getting c>1/4
Same here, btw I just discovered this forum, here is the proof I quoted to my friend for i)

"I did some work on Question 16 c

i) x^2 + (y-c)^2 = r^2

And y=x^2

Substitute 2 into 1

y + (y-c)^2= r^2

Rearrange (expand) to make a quadratic, y as the variable

y+y^2 -2yc + c^2 -r^2 = 0

Grouping terms

y^2 + y(1-2c) + (c^2-r^2) = 0

We know that there are two equal (in terms of y) solutions to this, because the circle and the parabola touch symmetrically around the y axis at the same value of y (given in the question). Therefore the discriminant of this quadratic = 0

discriminant = b^2-4ac

substituting in

(1-2c)^2 - 4(c^2-r^2) = 0
Expand and cancel (easy enough) to get 4c = 1 + 4r^2

In part ii) I got c>1/4, which is incorrect (we were meant to get c>1/2). Until I can figure this out I won't go any further. "

maknaedori

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how many marks we lose in a 3 mark question if we just right the answer? E.g. if we did trial and error.

mikaa

HSC
OMG same! i ended up with c>1/4 hahaha got me so pissed!i

but then it was only a one marker so i gave up in the end.. tehe :)

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
Re: The real solution to Q16. (B) (ii)

Since there's many BS answers flying everywhere, here's (one of) the real answers:

alot of people does it a different method, but that seems cool. However, you didnt use the use 4c = 1 + 4r^2 as the starting line, as used the original equation, so im not sure if that's fully correct.

talisman

HSC
Attached is my solution to 16c ii). Tell me what you think of it.

16cii.jpg

George121

HSC
All this controversy over question 16 is hinting that general maths tomorrow is going to have controversy with a few questions.

#inb4fail

mikaa

HSC
^agreed.

he makes me feel so unwelcomed for uni :'(

eileend

HSC
Q16 a)i) i used the parrallel lines and how the two sides had the same x sides... and ended up with the proof of AAS

ii) i have no idea what i did but i think my final answer was x=(a+b)/4

b) i)I had no idea how to do it so i just wrote crap..
and (ii) to (iv) i was good with it

c)... that was horrible =.=

duckysd

HSC
The whole papaer was pretty easy. EXCEPT question 16(after c). Thought I do know how to answer now.
For C. i.
we have x^2 + (y-c)^2 = r^2 and y = x^2

Solving simultaneously (FOR y - or for x but y is easier). We get y^2 + y(2c-1) - r^2 + c^2 = 0
From the graph and according to the question, there is only one y solution where the circle and the parabola intersect. Hence they give you the clue that the points are symmetrical ((-x)^2 = (+x)^2). This means that the discriminant i.e. b^2 - 4ac must equal 0 since only one y root.

Now, (2c - 1)^2 - 4(c^2 - r^2) = 0
4c^2 - 4C + 1 - 4c^2 + 4r^2 = 0
4r^2 - 4c +1 = 0
FINALLY 4c = 1 +4r^2

For the second part, I was told by my fellow asians (who do 3/4 unit and sat the 2U test) that if we solve for x, we would get an inequality since the discriminant (for x this time) would be more than 0 (2 intersections on either side of the circle.). Next year I will sit 2U again and we'll see things from there.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
a) was easy. l just hope they can read my handwriting!

b) was difficult to understand, l only attempted the last part. l'm glad the last part was pi/6 though!!!

c) all l did was make the 2 y's equal to each other so that both sides had x's and c's. would that get me a mark?

hopefully l'll get 7/15 for this section. so l still have a chance to get band 5 :/

duckysd

HSC
For 16 c)i) I spent more than an hour and wrote more than two pages. And still did not get the answer. Though that was a step.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)