Q16's - ? (1 Viewer)

keepLooking

HSC
For most of the parts Q1-14, the solution usually follows a formulated process but from 15 onward, it just seems to be extremely tricky.

As always, I feel like I begin to hit a wall after Q15 because I just don't know how to approach such questions. Is there a way to get past this?

An example is something like this:

After checking the answers, I understand why the solutions followed that method but how would I begin figuring out a method to solve the different kinds of Q16's?

Mr_Kap

HSC
You can't learn this skill in a day. This is what you learn by doing these questions you have never seen before and slaving over them until you figure them out (without checking the answers). It can't be taught in a month or two. Luckily, in 2unit some of these questions aren't too difficult even though you haven't seen them before,(but I admit the one above took me a while when i did the Grammar paper to figure out). This is what maths actually should be, no memorizing of how to do questions and such, just pure problem solving, and the 4unit course has a lot of these questions. Sadly, there is nothing you can really do apart from practice past q15 and q16 so you can get a feel for it.

teridax

HSC
N/A
You can't learn this skill in a day. This is what you learn by doing these questions you have never seen before and slaving over them until you figure them out (without checking the answers). It can't be taught in a month or two. Luckily, in 2unit some of these questions aren't too difficult even though you haven't seen them before,(but I admit the one above took me a while when i did the Grammar paper to figure out). This is what maths actually should be, no memorizing of how to do questions and such, just pure problem solving, and the 4unit course has a lot of these questions. Sadly, there is nothing you can really do apart from practice past q15 and q16 so you can get a feel for it.
I'm going to strongly disagree with you there. 2u maths is essentially a rote learning course for the most part; you memorise the process of the questions through practice, and the application only comes from slightly modifying your technique. Even in 3u maths you have to rote learn bits and pieces of the course, and especially in 4u maths, complex numbers and calculus is a mechanical process.

photastic

HSC
I'm going to strongly disagree with you there. 2u maths is essentially a rote learning course for the most part; you memorise the process of the questions through practice, and the application only comes from slightly modifying your technique. Even in 3u maths you have to rote learn bits and pieces of the course, and especially in 4u maths, complex numbers and calculus is a mechanical process.
Yes there is rote learning for 2u and 3u but at the end of the day the successful students are the ones who have the extensive knowledge, problems skills, effective communication and sophisticated reasoning which is what Mathematics offers. I am a bit offended that you mentioned memorisation because every HSC exam will most likely have questions which no one has ever seen before and this why you shouldn't memorise the process. Just wanted to let this out since I have seen that who rote learnt don't do as well as those who really take the effort to think further when applying mathematic formulas for sophisticated questions.

Mr_Kap

HSC
That's why i said "that is what maths actually SHOULD be", not what it is.

I know that all HSC maths has a lot of rote learning procedures.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Yes there is rote learning for 2u and 3u but at the end of the day the successful students are the ones who have the extensive knowledge, problems skills, effective communication and sophisticated reasoning which is what Mathematics offers. I am a bit offended that you mentioned memorisation because every HSC exam will most likely have questions which no one has ever seen before and this why you shouldn't memorise the process. Just wanted to let this out since I have seen that who rote learnt don't do as well as those who really take the effort to think further when applying mathematic formulas for sophisticated questions.
Well, that is the reality of the HSC; majority of students wouldn't care about 'learning' properly. Rather, they would (including me) prefer to memorise processes as an easier way of doing things. Yes, formulas in math aren't necessary as you can figure out what you need to do using pure logic, but you wouldn't discourage not knowing them at all or having memorised them. Memorising leads to a greater understanding of the maths topics in most cases anyway, since you refine those processes constantly, which is where your 'ability to think further with sophisticated questions' also come. Tbh, in the HSC, you're not studying to think further and gain a greater understanding of what you learn, you're studying to get the best marks into the course you want to do, and if that involves memorisation, it's their decision - harsh truth.

Mr_Kap

HSC
Well, that is the reality of the HSC; majority of students wouldn't care about 'learning' properly. Rather, they would (including me) prefer to memorise processes as an easier way of doing things. Yes, formulas in math aren't necessary as you can figure out what you need to do using pure logic, but you wouldn't discourage not knowing them at all or having memorised them. Memorising leads to a greater understanding of the maths topics in most cases anyway, since you refine those processes constantly, which is where your 'ability to think further with sophisticated questions' also come. Tbh, in the HSC, you're not studying to think further and gain a greater understanding of what you learn, you're studying to get the best marks into the course you want to do, and if that involves memorisation, it's their decision - harsh truth.
pretty much sums up hsc maths in a paragraph

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just a quick bump, will the HSC have a question 16 that is as hard as this?

keepLooking

HSC
Just a quick bump, will the HSC have a question 16 that is as hard as this?
Not sure if it will be as "hard", but it will most probably be as confusing or difficult to begin working it out I am guessing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)