Qantas case study (1 Viewer)

hinalicious

HSC
Hey everyone

I have this crappy assignment on Qantas for globalisation and its so fustrating. Could anyone help me by giving reasons why Qantas expanded. I cant find them anywhere...

Brontecat

HSC
There's this really great book that breaks down everything you need to know Qantas (in terms of the HSC), definitely worth buying or hiring. Business Case Study - for HSC business studies

Qantas & Globalisation

- Deregulation of the domestic australian airline industry made the market more competitive meaning they had to generate revenue via. other means, so they looked towards the regulated international markets (where the australian government assisted them by protecting certain routes). They also looked into Foreign Direct Investment and selling shares on overseas markets to raise revenue.
- Qantas has to source essential products such as fuel and aircraft from overseas - hence participating in globalisation.

Brontecat

HSC
For Section 4 you're not actually assessed for your ability to write in a business report so you can write it in an essay if you want. Personally i'd rather write it in business report format anyway, its much quicker to write down things using subheadings (and dotpoints) and it shows that you have a broader understanding of the course. :)

0hNivlek

HSC
This Qantas case study returned to haunt me for accounting last semester :spzz:

shazang xD

HSC
ahhh thankyou Brontecat :)

hinalicious and i are really stuck with this stupid assessment to do with qantas and global business worth 30% :(

Brontecat

HSC
you're welcome, good luck with it :) that book is really worth it though, there's no way i could do anything without it

hinalicious

HSC
Thanks everyone for the help.

The case study book, i had a look at and i might buy it but my assignments due to soonso maybe later.:tongue:

pooshwaltzer

HSC
Hey everyone

I have this crappy assignment on Qantas for globalisation and its so fustrating. Could anyone help me by giving reasons why Qantas expanded. I cant find them anywhere...

The Australian Government sold the domestic carrier Australian Airlines to Qantas in August 1992, giving it access to the national domestic market for the first time in its history.

In 1998, Qantas co-founded the Oneworld alliance with American Airlines, British Airways, Canadian Airlines, and Cathay Pacific. The alliance commenced operation in February 1999, with Iberia and Finnair joining later that year. Oneworld markets itself at the premium travel market, offering passengers a larger network than the airlines could on their own. The airlines also work together to provide operational synergies to keep costs down.

The main domestic competitor to Qantas, Ansett Australia, collapsed on 14 September 2001. Market share for Qantas immediately neared 90%, with the relatively new budget airline Virgin Blue holding the remainder.

Virgin Blue announced a major expansion in October 2001, which was successful in eventually pushing the Qantas domestic market share back to 60%. To prevent any further loss of market share, Qantas responded by creating a new cut-price subsidiary airline Jetstar. This has been successful in keeping the status quo at around 65% for Qantas group and 30% for Virgin Blue with other regional airlines accounting for the rest of the market.

Qantas has stepped up the expansion of Jetstar, with the launch of international services (in addition to existing trans-Tasman and Jetstar Asia flights) to leisure destinations such as Bali, Ho Chi Minh City, Osaka and Honolulu having begun in November 2006. On some routes (such as Sydney-Honolulu) Jetstar supplements existing Qantas operations, but many routes are new to the network. The lower cost base of Jetstar allows the previously unprofitable or marginal routes to be operated at greater profitability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)