QANTAS- ethnocentric, geocentric or polycentric? (1 Viewer)

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
according to the QANTAS case study book
QANTAS use both polycentric and ethnocentric

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Polycentric in the sence that they have a policy of employing host country nationals (hcn's) where possible, as it avoids cultural training and relocation costs

Ethnocentric in the sence that employees from the parent company are used when no suitable hcn can be found (who dont know the business culture)

So based on this, they're also geocentric as they'll hire the best person for the job.

Last edited:

Maianbarian

I think you guys have the wrong definitions. I was confused myself because different textbooks contradict each other so I rang the advice line and apparently these are the correct definitions:

Polycentric: The best person for the job is employed regardless of their country of origin.

Geocentric: The company employs people from the local area. I.E. BHP sets up a wire processing plant in indonesia, they will employ indonesians.

Ethnocentric: The company uses staff from within the parent company. I.E. BHP transfers an Aussie manager to malaysia to run the plant.

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
i beg to differ

ethnocentric - home country personel top levels

polycentric - host coutnry personell top levels and middle , home for rest of positions

geocentric - best person regardless

rainonmay

floating around
HSC
Seraph said:
i beg to differ

ethnocentric - home country personel top levels

polycentric - host coutnry personell top levels and middle , home for rest of positions

geocentric - best person regardless
i agree
my teacher told me there were other definitions but this is the correct one

BlindGuardian

maianbarbarian.....ur wrong
maybe u should all just read the text book so u wont have to have this argument.
Seraph's post is right.
I don't care if the C.E.O of Coke comes up to me and tells me its wrong, i'm still gonna go by the book cos thats what the markers are looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)