Q's. Changing Classes + Going to Tutorials? (1 Viewer)

Woony

HSC
I did a chinese placement test during oweek and I had NO CLUE! I did chinese for 1 year in y7 but forgot basically everything.. dont know any characters.. maybe numbers from 1-10... other than that nothing at all... I know a few phrases in mandarin only in pinyin (kinda like english/chinese mixed together) and the test was basically all characters... i had no clue! i basically put my name and circled all "A's" in the multiple choice section. Then the last section was write a reply to this letter... i wrote: wo bu zhi dao (which means i dont know in pinyin)

Despite this they put me in advance introductory chinese class! wtf :( I was the second person to leave the exam room.. i waited around for like 5-10min to see if anyone else would leave after me but noo they didnt.. the next day i check the notice board to see what class im in and a lot of people are in introductory chinese class but not advance introductory chinese class. how the hell did i make adv chinese class!! omg. Just wonderin if anyone did chinese as a subject? and if its possible to change classes if its too hard... i have a feeling they think i was bein stupid and wanted to go in an easier chinese class.. but i seriously dont know mandarin!!!!!

Other than that.. my first subject on monday is a chinese tutorial at 4pm-5.. thats all. I heard we dont have to go to tutorials first week or something?? should i go anyway?

Chris.

HSC
hahaah ne ho ma!
theres no tutorials first week.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I believe chinese actually does have tutorials the first week. I did chinese back in first year (3 years ago) and we did have tutorials the first week even though my other subjects didn't. But I'm not sure if they have changed that so I can't give a definitive answer. But you should definitely check to me sure.

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
This is from the class details:

"Students must attend an average of 5 hours of classes per week for 14 weeks. They're 2hours of lecture for 7 weeks only, 4hrs of language classes for 14 wks. All classes begin in week 1. Group A is for students who've started without any speaking knowledge of Chinese. Group B is for students with a background speaking knowledge of Cantonese or other Chinese dialects but without any knowledge of Chinese characters."

So I'm guessing there's tuts on the first week.

klaw

HSC
Woony said:
I did a chinese placement test during oweek and I had NO CLUE! I did chinese for 1 year in y7 but forgot basically everything.. dont know any characters.. maybe numbers from 1-10... other than that nothing at all... I know a few phrases in mandarin only in pinyin (kinda like english/chinese mixed together) and the test was basically all characters... i had no clue! i basically put my name and circled all "A's" in the multiple choice section. Then the last section was write a reply to this letter... i wrote: wo bu zhi dao (which means i dont know in pinyin)

Despite this they put me in advance introductory chinese class! wtf :( I was the second person to leave the exam room.. i waited around for like 5-10min to see if anyone else would leave after me but noo they didnt.. the next day i check the notice board to see what class im in and a lot of people are in introductory chinese class but not advance introductory chinese class. how the hell did i make adv chinese class!! omg. Just wonderin if anyone did chinese as a subject? and if its possible to change classes if its too hard... i have a feeling they think i was bein stupid and wanted to go in an easier chinese class.. but i seriously dont know mandarin!!!!!

Other than that.. my first subject on monday is a chinese tutorial at 4pm-5.. thats all. I heard we dont have to go to tutorials first week or something?? should i go anyway?
I recommend speaking to whoever's in charge of your course and telling him/her that you suck too much for adv chin.

Woony

HSC
nickyroony said:
This is from the class details:

"Students must attend an average of 5 hours of classes per week for 14 weeks. They're 2hours of lecture for 7 weeks only, 4hrs of language classes for 14 wks. All classes begin in week 1. Group A is for students who've started without any speaking knowledge of Chinese. Group B is for students with a background speaking knowledge of Cantonese or other Chinese dialects but without any knowledge of Chinese characters."

So I'm guessing there's tuts on the first week.
the people at the placement test were ALL asian!! how did they get in group A :(

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
You still have time to change classes (i.e. Lecture periods, Tutorials, etc) via MyUNSW until sometime after 1-2 weeks of commencement.

But, when you mean change class, I think you're trying to change the course right? i.e. From one Chinese course to another. If this is the case, head to your School's Student/Admin Office, or talk to your Course Convenor.

As for tutorials, this varies from course to course, and year to year. E-mail or call the Lecturer-in-charge/Course Convenor or even the Admin Office for that school.

karoooh

HSC
:\

Does that mean I should've done the placement test for French? Because I did it from Yr 7-10, but I feel that I've forgotten everything, so I didn't do it. My sis was like me, and she just did what I did and picked the beginner's class. :\

Meh!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Actually another Placement test runs sometime in weeks 2-5. Check with your course convenor.

@karooh: At your First lecture for the course you mentioned, stroll up to the lecturer and explain your situation to them. Or, just ask them how to register for the next Placement Test for this course.

karoooh

HSC
But doing that placement test wouldn't be necessary, if all I remember is how to pronounce the alphabet in French, 2 of the verbs (etre and avoir) and count to 100 or so.

That can't possibly make me an intermediate or advanced French student. IMO, you'd have to have done it Continuers to be at that level.

I'll just go speak to them anyway. :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)