Quake 4 (1 Viewer)

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Demandred did you ever play Rocket Arena 3 on the Optus or/and Gamearena servers.. like ages ago? I think there was some guy called Demandred who used to frag there.. can't remember 100% though..

Well remember your FX5700 is getting old nowadays too, so if anything the inferior frames at higher graphical settings will be due to both your processor and your old video card. Gameplay is important.. but in my opinion for FPS graphics play an equally important part.. I mean part of a good FPS's fundamental goal is to immerse you, the player with realism and exhilaration and for that to happen there must be great gameplay and graphics.. which is why I guess I spend $3,000 every two years building new computers. Sigh, such an expensive hobby.
Yeah I'm gameplay > gfx... but since my bf always bags me out of my computer, at least I got some glory.

I'm about to go spend money on a amd 3800 x2 ( $520 or there abouts ) cos I desperately need something better for not only gaming, but also a lot of graphic design work n stuff. Motherboard.. $120... new gfx card.. I'm gonna do later cos I can last with that for a little longer ^^

Collin

HSC
N/A
LexxY said:
Yeah I'm gameplay > gfx... but since my bf always bags me out of my computer, at least I got some glory.

I'm about to go spend money on a amd 3800 x2 ( $520 or there abouts ) cos I desperately need something better for not only gaming, but also a lot of graphic design work n stuff. Motherboard.. $120... new gfx card.. I'm gonna do later cos I can last with that for a little longer ^^
Why not just build a completely new rig eh? :cool: An Athlon64 X2 would be pretty nice indeed, grab a healthy 2GB or RAM and replace that FX5700! I know you say gameplay is the king here (not disputing), but you'll surprise yourself with how much more you'll enjoy the game once it looks that much better!

PS Radeon 9600 Mobility suck. LoL of course the game ran better on your machine.. I think the next gaming rig I'm gonna get will be a laptop. I've always wanted a laptop and I think by the time I upgrade again next year, the gaming capabilities of the ones in the market will be sufficient enough for my liking (I remember when I got this X800 rig last year the best a laptop could offer was a 9800 Radeon Mobility. And now 7800GTXs are coming out simultaneously in both desktop and laptop versions ^_________________^

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
yeah lol.. i totally know what ure saying.

I only have enough for processor, motherboard and ram ( just ) tho. but im trying to get a wholesale price deal atm.

he is getting a new computer... not lappy. dual processor and two 7800gtxs ( i think thats right ).. he got a deal for $4000

Last edited:

Collin

HSC
N/A
Remember if he doesn't do graphics work or use multithread applications there's not much point right now getting dual-core. I mean, if he's just gonna use it for gaming (and I assume so since he's err.. getting twin 7800s), he should get a nice Opteron or Athlon64 imo. As for getting two 7800GTX...... what games does he think he need those to play?!?!?! Oh man, and I thought my graphic-whoreness was bad! LOL.. oh well, atleast he'll be able to enjoy F.E.A.R @ 16*12, 4xTSAA, 16xAF with all the eyecandygoodness on. Hmm, I think I'm just really really jealous.. *envy*

Btw just came back from the mall... got F.E.A.R & Quake IV.. woohoo, tonight's gonna be good. :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
Been playing it for an hour.. my this game is awesome. I agree with Demandred that it can get a bit monotonous at times however I found the overall superb graphics and firing mechanics in it to create a sufficiently satisfying level of immersion so that this doesn't bother me too much. Btw really wish you put a *spoiler warning* for 'think it had a lot more potential in the 2nd half of the game...'

Demandred

HSC
Hey JKDDragon, sorry, didn't think it was that necessary. The whole plot (including the last 'missions') are on the official quake 4 website and was plublished in many major magazines and gaming sites. I thought it was probably general knowledge by now.

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
JKDDragon said:
Remember if he doesn't do graphics work or use multithread applications there's not much point right now getting dual-core. I mean, if he's just gonna use it for gaming (and I assume so since he's err.. getting twin 7800s), he should get a nice Opteron or Athlon64 imo. As for getting two 7800GTX...... what games does he think he need those to play?!?!?! Oh man, and I thought my graphic-whoreness was bad! LOL.. oh well, atleast he'll be able to enjoy F.E.A.R @ 16*12, 4xTSAA, 16xAF with all the eyecandygoodness on. Hmm, I think I'm just really really jealous.. *envy*

Btw just came back from the mall... got F.E.A.R & Quake IV.. woohoo, tonight's gonna be good. :D
he does shit loads of graphics work :p hence why he is getting it. working on things a3+ with illustrator and photoshop.. in design all that kind of stuff.

yeah u jealous bitch ;)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Stayed up till 4am playing it.. -_-.. but I just couldn't stop playing till I got out of those series of Strogg bio plants, you know.. those torture chamber levels (which kinda reminded me of Doom 3 abit.. infact even more shocking than Doom 3 because the aura of suffering and gore just seems to be higher). The one with all those mutilated bodies coming alive spewing acid just made me feel uncomfortable. I just felt like I had to get my butt out of there before I stopped playing. I have to say the single player is pretty polished indeed. The vehicle levels are also pretty fun. The hovering vehicle level kinda reminded me of the third level in Half Life 2 where you're off on your way to Black Mesa East.. although I thought this one in Quake IV wasn't as good as the HL2 one. The Mech level was also nice, but god those squiddy things are annoying. Surprisingly I thought overall the game worked pretty well. When it came to Doom 3, it performed pretty good on my X800XT, but still the frame rates lagged at times. With Quake IV, which of course uses the same engine.. I feel that the performance seems alot better.. and also that the game looks better than Doom 3 overall, probably because Doom 3 is so dark that it doesn't really get an opportunity to showcase off this amazing engine to it's full potential. I don't play with AA on though, I think my video card will grow arms and slap me in the head if I punished it with that. Anyway, starting that level now where you're with a bunch of other pods/fighters crashing down for the 'final mission'. Again I feel refreshed coming out of those 'mutilation' plant levels so yeah :D

Oh yes one more thing.. some of the cutscenes are very nice. The one where you're turned into a Strogg was pretty cool to watch. It also made me cringe a bit too.. =S

Demandred said:
Hey JKDDragon, sorry, didn't think it was that necessary. The whole plot (including the last 'missions') are on the official quake 4 website and was plublished in many major magazines and gaming sites. I thought it was probably general knowledge by now.
Well I saw a few trailers for it beforehand and in it you could hear a voice saying 'the only way to defeat them is to become them' *rock music* etc. I didn't get that concept at first.. because I couldn't comprehend what relevance turning into a Strogg would bring.. so I kinda kept that bit at the back of my mind. Then when the game started, you started off as a human marine so I just totally forgot about that.. but it's ok now since I'm past that level anyway :D BTW that Makron's laugh is creepy shit.

anita_wax said:
omg the multiplayer looks awesome on this game. i want it!
What did you think of Quake III multiplayer? It's kinda just like that.. infact some of the older Quake III levels are even present, just updated with the new graphics engine. So overall the multiplayer is pretty simple, nothing fancy like Battlefield 2. If you love Quake III, if you love Painkiller etc. (which I do) then Quake IV multiplayer should appeal to you. Haven't tried rocket jumping though yet, wonder if that still works :D

LexxY said:
yeah u jealous bitch ;)
Aww stop teasing me :( *bursts into tears*

LexxY

s2 Ralf. Marry me!
HSC
The way to finish any game: /god /noclip ^^ lol :p

Collin

HSC
N/A
Hey you're a cheater! Get outta my thread! *kicks her butt* mwaahahaha.. :D

Collin

HSC
N/A
Cmon man, what's the fun in cheating? :/

Demandred

HSC
I guess its normal for girls to cheat in FPSs due to their natural predesposition against anything scary or hostile. But boys... Pansies!

Hey JKD, I am upgrading soon, what specs/settings/fps are you q4 running on?

Collin

HSC
N/A
At the moment I'm running the game on 10*7 res, all hardware/performance features enabled and on max except for AA for which I have that set to 0. Frames average around 40-60fps.. which is great for me. There were 3-4 areas of the game where I could feel the frames dipping down to the 20s though.

If you have lots of money to spend, keep your eye out for the new ATi card. Or if you're a nVidia fanboy, they're about to release the 512MB version of the 7800GTX. *drools*

Kaiser Zero

Banned
HSC
Its not like I cheat in MP... I just wanted to finsih SP before maths

Assasinator_2

HSC
If you guys see Fat Man floating around on the servers, give me a yell and tell me where ya from :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)