Quality not Quantity? (Adv English) (1 Viewer)

Stan..

HSC
A question about Advanced English in yr11.. My English teacher said that I have the capacity to do Advanced English, however my writing is small. He told me that in adv English you need to be able to write 3+ Pages in a exam, if I did a reasonable essay spanning 2 pages would i get the same marks as someone who did it in 4?

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Is it messy writing? If it is you better get it neater before you do the exams...or the examiners get pissed!

Stan..

HSC
no just small.. my writing is perfectly legiable(sp?)

mossup

can you do the mossup?
cloud eight & nine tenths. Yes its frustrating
HSC
unfortunately they do have requirements for pages to be written. No matter how good your essay is, if it doesn't meet the required amount of words/pages/length, then you just wont get the marks.....
it sucks...i know!:p

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
LOL! there is no 'required ammount of words/pages/length' officially on the marking sheet.... but i can tell you that no one that wrote less than 4 pages got band 6 for any section last year.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
well they can suck my big fat one if thats how its meant to be. i mean seriosuly, haven't we always been told that it is the quality of the writing that counts, but not the quantity?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Yes your writing has to be SKILLED and more SKILLFUL writing will do better than the less skillful no matter how much quantity, but as for writing messy or neat it doesn't really matter... if they can read it they can mark it.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
lesmiester_dj said:
well they can suck my big fat one if thats how its meant to be. i mean seriosuly, haven't we always been told that it is the quality of the writing that counts, but not the quantity?
i think that in order to have quality, u have to have a some quantity, eg: u cant possibly write out a response to an english essay in three pages........however those that go past two booklets (16 pages) r really stretching it.

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
Stan.. said:
A question about Advanced English in yr11.. My English teacher said that I have the capacity to do Advanced English, however my writing is small. He told me that in adv English you need to be able to write 3+ Pages in a exam, if I did a reasonable essay spanning 2 pages would i get the same marks as someone who did it in 4?
uh wat did u say...........2 pages?. i think my introduction took two pages. u need like a whole booklet (8 pages) to get all ur info down.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
You can always enlargen it anyway can't you?

The lines in the HSC booklets are fat and huge, it's almost forcing you to write massively...

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
its not quality vs quantity, if you write and piece though with quality and quantity you will do well! otherwise neither on its own well get you far ( ie 16 pages of garbage wont get you good marks, nor will one page of perfect writing)
dont be scared if you cant write lots of pages now .. you will improve as you practice.
my teacher said that the average standard student writes 1-3 pages so for an adv student youy need to be looking at 3+. saying that i do ext 1 and wrote 1.5 pages for some responses in adv and ext and still managed to do good in int. assesments...

Odourless

HSC
Its basically you want get everything from a band 6 answer if you only do a couple of pages.......You need to do more to fit everything in.....

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
uh 1.5 pages isnt going to evn get an introduction written in the HSC. to answer the question ur looking at at least 6 pages of quality stuff. if u can get all ur info in less that six pages and u get a band six......................well then ur a bloody genius

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
1.5 pages will get intro, intros are not meant to be 2 pages! they are meant to outline the topics you will talk about in each para. If your write an intro alone in the hsc that is more than 1.5 pages .. you just wouldnt!

joujou_84

GoOOooOONe
HSC
*girl04* said:
1.5 pages will get intro, intros are not meant to be 2 pages! they are meant to outline the topics you will talk about in each para. If your write an intro alone in the hsc that is more than 1.5 pages .. you just wouldnt!
have u seen the HSC booklet...........its got like 10 lines on the page and the lines are like 2 cm apart.................u watch and see................i page minimum for intro

toryn

Queen of Failure
HSC
I have the same problem of not being able to write pages and pages. Here's some advice from my Ancient History teacher: if you can fill 3 normal A4 pages in 40 minutes (including planning) it translates to at least 4-5 HSC booklet pages. I know a lot of people who write endless reams of info, but you don't need quite that much to do well.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Stan.. said:
Quality > Quantity.

What most teachers probably mean is that the exploration of thoughts could be much more in-depth, rather than the mere quantity.

E

eling

Have quality n quantity ..i'd lower the quality for a bit extra quantity tho but i wouldnt go overboard

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)