Quality religion textbooks (1 Viewer)

Tom2nv

HSC
hey all i was just wondering if anyone could suggest a religion textbook which comprehensively covers the new syllabus dotpoints either from past experience or simply by many people recommending it. I would be interested to know what you guys think is a comprehensive textbook for this subject. Anyways reply with some feedback if you can thanks!

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
depends which level (1 or 2unit) and which year.

There is a good set of books called "Spotlight SOR". Their Yr 11 book by Nicholas Coleman covers the Yr 11 course really well for both levels but their Yr 12 book by Howard Clark only covers 1 unit (but it is excellent as well)-www.sciencepress.com.au Good price

The grand daddy (and best book) is Living Religion by Peter Mudge but it is expensive. Have to keep in mind that y=it covers everything so you will only use half of it! By Pearson Publishing??

Macquarie are supposedly releasing a book but it has been pushed back to July. Their previous books have been excellent and very affordable. (my opinion if it ever gets released-> Best option

You can also get an old textbook if you are a one unit student and just use the syllabus to work it out.

There is a really good cd-rom from OLMC @ Parramatta that you could convince your school to buy as its $400 but its the best resource out there ATM

Therir is also a set of study notes that you can buy (dont have the details handy but can get for you) but they are $125/unit. They are really good but expensive-school shpould purchase them and give to everyone

I think there is also a new version of the Terry Lovatt book (Studies of Religion) but I have only seen the electronic proof. It was OK but expensive for what it is. I think its by socialscience press

HTH

Last edited:

-pari-

HSC
N/A
we use living religion in school

but to be honest, i find religion to be a very research based subject, and my notes are a compilation of info i find on various sites on the net etc (be careful where you get your info from though)

i actually dont use my living religion textbook a whole lot...

scrixer

HSC
N/A
Here are various texts and my opinions on them:

Beck, M., Tatz, P., Lewin, R., Crotty, R., Comans, M., Lyall, G., Breward, I., Johns, A., Kelly, M. Kohn, R. & Pattel-Gray, A. 1997, Exploring Religion, Oxford University Press, Melbourne. [OK but based on Victorian syllabus]
Clark. 2007. Spotlight: Studies of Religion HSC, Science Press, Marrickville. [Excellent for HSC 1U]
Coleman, N. 2006. Spotlight: Studies of Religion Preliminary, Science Press, Marrickville. [Excellent for Prelim 1U and 2U, although the chapter review questions aren't great]
Hayward, P. and Noble, J. 2003. Macquarie Revision Guides – HSC Studies of Religion, MacMillan Education Australia, South Yarra. [Excellent revision for HSC, old syllabus. New one should be just as good?!]
Fleming, Louise. 2001. Excel, Senior High School, Studies of Religion,2nd edn., Pascal Press, Glebe. [Good revision for HSC, old syllabus. New one should be just as good?!]
Lovat, T., McGrath, J., Fletcher, E., and Follers, J. 2006. Studies of Religion. Thomson Social Science Press, South Melbourne. [WAY too brief in each topic for Prelim and HSC 1U and 2U]
Morrissey, J., Mudge, P., Taylor, A., Bailey, G. and Rule, P. 2005. Living Religion, 3rd edn, Pearson Longman, Sydney. [Excellent for Prelim and HSC 2U, especially the "Activities". Quite bulky for 1U]

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
scrixer said:
Here are various texts and my opinions on them:

Beck, M., Tatz, P., Lewin, R., Crotty, R., Comans, M., Lyall, G., Breward, I., Johns, A., Kelly, M. Kohn, R. & Pattel-Gray, A. 1997, Exploring Religion, Oxford University Press, Melbourne. [OK but based on Victorian syllabus]
Clark. 2007. Spotlight: Studies of Religion HSC, Science Press, Marrickville. [Excellent for HSC 1U]
Coleman, N. 2006. Spotlight: Studies of Religion Preliminary, Science Press, Marrickville. [Excellent for Prelim 1U and 2U, although the chapter review questions aren't great]
Hayward, P. and Noble, J. 2003. Macquarie Revision Guides – HSC Studies of Religion, MacMillan Education Australia, South Yarra. [Excellent revision for HSC, old syllabus. New one should be just as good?!]
Fleming, Louise. 2001. Excel, Senior High School, Studies of Religion,2nd edn., Pascal Press, Glebe. [Good revision for HSC, old syllabus. New one should be just as good?!]
Lovat, T., McGrath, J., Fletcher, E., and Follers, J. 2006. Studies of Religion. Thomson Social Science Press, South Melbourne. [WAY too brief in each topic for Prelim and HSC 1U and 2U]
Morrissey, J., Mudge, P., Taylor, A., Bailey, G. and Rule, P. 2005. Living Religion, 3rd edn, Pearson Longman, Sydney. [Excellent for Prelim and HSC 2U, especially the "Activities". Quite bulky for 1U]
Macquarie has just been finally released

Excel isnt doing a book for the new course (at last account anyway)- their books are rubbish in my opinion

Exploring Religion has not and will not be released for new course either (according to book resellers last year anyway)

The new Lovat book actually looks good for those who struggle (bit expensive though at $50)

Leading Edge has just released a new book (study guide??) including content and revision stuff for $30. They had previously released past papers and called them their own!! (So be aware!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)