HSC
sweet_chick said:
i just hope the little v sign means neutrino
yeh, but they had a v dash, which means anti-neutrino

seadonkey

HSC
serge said:
yeh, but they had a v dash, which means anti-neutrino
beta decay u do get anti neutrino. it was orignally called the neutrino but research showed it hav anti matter propeties. so it was renamed the anti-neutrino

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
I wrote a whole booklet 8 pages for the 7 marker...i didn't want to loose any marks.

B.J

HSC
serge said:
same here, cept i rounded it off to 3 sig fig

yeh i got 234 Pa aswell
Really? Pa? how does that happen i thought it would lose a number..... i got 234 Ac

rithvikt

*Abeh-OI-*
HSC
can sum1 xplain 31b the decaying shit....i got the thorium mass number but wtf is that Q nuclide...?..beats me

mrkotter

use the data sheet to know if the maths is right for the mass dilation of the proton. Yeah it doesnt help with doing the mass but at least you know if your getting the right answers.

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
rithvikt said:
can sum1 xplain 31b the decaying shit....i got the thorium mass number but wtf is that Q nuclide...?..beats me
Its a beta decay so atomic number goes up one and mass stays the same. This gives Pa-234 (from memory)

Last edited:

richz

actually Pa-234, becuz the th particle from the first reaction undergoes beta decay. so Th-234 undergoes beta decay

rithvikt

*Abeh-OI-*
HSC
thunderdax said:
Its a beta decay so atomic number goes up one and mass stays the same. This gives Pa-234 (from memory)
lol..whoops...i knew it was undergoing beta decay..but i thought Q was an actual particle so i was looking it up in the periodic table.. :rolleyes:

thunderdax

I AM JESUS LOL!
HSC
Who said Q wasn't a particle?
Edit: Oh right, I get you now. Unlucky, all of us do stuff like that occasionally :rolleyes:

richz

rithvikt said:
lol..whoops...i knew it was undergoing beta decay..but i thought Q was an actual particle so i was looking it up in the periodic table.. :rolleyes:
lmao, ur funny

richz

hall of mirrors said:
What did you guys get for that pauli contribution question...
umm... he discovered the neutrino??? its a dotpt??

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
hall of mirrors said:
you didnt mention his exclusion principle?
The exclusion principle is not really necessary to explain what Pauli contributed to beta decay, (the neutrino is the main thing).

Although now that I think about it, the neutrino idea originally arose from exclusion principle. That's because exclusion principle showed that it is not possible for an electron to exist inside the nucleus, therefore the beta particle is not originally an electron within the nucleus, but is created when a down quark turns into an up quark, and... etc.

Last edited:

richz

lol, captain, no need to go to deeply, it was only worth 3 marks

rama_v

HSC
Yeah
No need to explain the exclusion principle fo rthat question. Just had to say that he came up with the neutrino to explain the anomalous energy distribution of beta particles during beta radiation

debaser

HSC
easy option, easy test full stop. yay the hsc is over and im still drunk 27 hours later.

Bizarre

Kicking Uni's bum.
HSC
xrtzx said:
did u get 1.70 *10^-27 kg

and rest mass was 1.67*10^-27 kg

both 3 sig figs
The ress mass of the proton was within that 1.6 - 1.7 x 10^-23 kilograms.

Want to know the easiest way to check?

Data sheet. "Mass of Proton"

And I talked about the exclusion principle explaining why the electron was ejected during beta decay, rather than joining th atom.

Also, it was Pa. Uranium is 92. Subtract 2 protons, is Thorium - element 90. Plus one proton (beta decay) is element 91 - Proactinium.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)