• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Queen 'must die' for republic (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
THE Queen must die or abdicate before Australia can become a republic, says Opposition politician Malcolm Turnbull, the former head of the republican movement.

Mr Turnbull, the Opposition treasury spokesman, said Australians would not vote for a republic while the country's monarch reigned.

The majority of Australians support their country becoming a republic, but a 1999 vote on a republic failed because Australians could not agree on the type of republic.

Mr Turnbull said the Queen's departure from the throne would be a "watershed event that would galvanise the population" into debating what type of head of state they wanted.

"I said at the time of the 1999 referendum that if we voted 'no' it would mean 'no' for a very long time," Mr Turnbull said on ABC radio today.

"My own judgment is that the next time when you would have your best prospects (of a republic) is at the end of the Queen's reign - when she dies or when she abdicates," said Mr Turnbull, former head of the Australian Republican Movement.

Mr Turnbull said many Australians still had a great affection for the Queen as she was the only monarch many had known.

Former prime minister John Howard, who lost office last November, was a staunch monarchist but new Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and many in his Government are avowed republicans.

Mr Rudd has dismissed another vote on the issue any time soon.

Opinion polls since 1993 have found the majority favours the country becoming a republic, with a president elected by popular vote.

The 1999 vote for a republic was defeated because the model offered would have seen a president elected by parliament.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23120859-2,00.html

:)

jimmayyy

HSC
fuck being a republic. i like the way we are. if its not broke, don't try and fix it.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I agree

Prince Charles is a quasi-Muslim inbred (well they all are, but it seems to show more in his case, look at the guy) freak, I don't want him as our sort-of head of state :D

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
oh and don't forget the commonwealth games, i hate how we win so much medals, the only reason why is because other countries we compete against barely have enough water to drink or swim in. :)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
We need to replace those Krauts with the true British Royals, the Sturts.

So in conclusion those Pretenders of the Saxe-Coburg and Gotha House can fuck right off.

Evilo

HSC
jimmayyy said:
fuck being a republic. i like the way we are. if its not broke, don't try and fix it.
agreed

I like having the queen on all the coins, otherwise its rudds ugly face.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
fk that, imagine the money we sent overseas to our 'motherland', where we can spend it on. what has the commonwealth ever done for us besides trouble? name 1 thing in the past 10 years. the union jack on our flag makes us look like the biggest sellouts on god's green earth.

Evilo

HSC
wuddie said:
what has the commonwealth ever done for us besides trouble? name 1 thing in the past 10 years.
It wasnt in the last 10 years, but they did help us in vietnam providing troops against the threat of communism.
http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/LuisSilva/00000013.htm

It's one of those things, you might not particularly like them while they are doing nothing, but when we need their help, they will support us in protecting our homeland (and no that hasn't happened in the last 10 years)

wuddie said:
the union jack on our flag makes us look like the biggest sellouts on god's green earth.
I'm proud of our heritage mate, its what created us, our community and our (relativley) safe environment. Denying the union jack is like changing your surname because your parents gave it to you.
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
wuddie said:
fk that, imagine the money we sent overseas to our 'motherland', where we can spend it on. what has the commonwealth ever done for us besides trouble? name 1 thing in the past 10 years. the union jack on our flag makes us look like the biggest sellouts on god's green earth.

it doesn't make us sellouts, it makes out like... we're still on parole

...... since 1901 :p

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
chicky_pie said:
it doesn't make us sellouts, it makes out like... we're still on parole

...... since 1901 :p
well said ma'm.

i mean, the union jack, england can take credit for everything the aussies have achieved even tho they haven't done shyt. it'd be more reasonable if we had the windows logo on our flag, at least everyone here uses it and it has benefitted our lives immensely.

HSC
Evilo said:
That's just dumb. Why wouldn't you try and improve things if you had the chance? People are afraid of change.

Evilo

HSC
veloc1ty said:
That's just dumb. Why wouldn't you try and improve things if you had the chance? People are afraid of change.
Becoming a republic doesnt 'improve' anything. All it does is gives the PM (or significant other) greater power. <--- therefore greater risk to fuck up this country

Apart from giving us "a new sense of identity" - what other reasons would you become a republic?

HSC
Evilo said:
Becoming a republic doesnt 'improve' anything. All it does is gives the PM (or significant other) greater power. <--- therefore greater risk to fuck up this country
The head of state is also held more accountable to balance this.

Evilo said:
Apart from giving us "a new sense of identity" - what other reasons would you become a republic?
Removing the Queen doesn't mean we deny any British heritage but it acknowledges we've moved past that. I disagree with what the British monarchy entails (hereditory ascention, male sons are placed above female etc). Basically I see it as unnecessary. What reasons are there for keeping the monarchy (apart from "it works fine as it is")?

Evilo

HSC
veloc1ty said:
Basically I see it as unnecessary. What reasons are there for keeping the monarchy (apart from "it works fine as it is")?
* we maintain our strong british heratige (which i'm quite proud of)
* A 'safety barrier' by means of the GG (and british influence) to stop extremly controversial things going through parliment
* A link to one of the greatest (non-bush) nations in the world
* A link of security to a large british empire
* Keeps us on tabs with the british for when we need support troops for 'peace keeping' operations.

HSC
Evilo said:
* we maintain our strong british heratige (which i'm quite proud of)
But the majority of Australians don't have that strong British heritage. And like I said, removing the monarchy doesn't mean you lose that heritage.

Evilo said:
* A 'safety barrier' by means of the GG (and british influence) to stop extremly controversial things going through parliment
This depends on the style of republic I would guess, but I don't honestly know it in detail so I can't say. What controversial things have been stopped in the past?

Evilo said:
* A link to one of the greatest (non-bush) nations in the world
* A link of security to a large british empire
* Keeps us on tabs with the british for when we need support troops for 'peace keeping' operations.
Would becoming a republic mean we truly lose these things? The Queen has said she respects any decision we make and becoming a republic would not mean Britain would deny us support.

Cerry

HSC
Evilo said:
It wasnt in the last 10 years, but they did help us in vietnam providing troops against the threat of communism.
http://www.globusz.com/ebooks/LuisSilva/00000013.htm

It's one of those things, you might not particularly like them while they are doing nothing, but when we need their help, they will support us in protecting our homeland (and no that hasn't happened in the last 10 years)

I'm proud of our heritage mate, its what created us, our community and our (relativley) safe environment. Denying the union jack is like changing your surname because your parents gave it to you.
Oh, yes, because if we HADN'T fought in Vietnam, we'd be communist now. We essentially lost that war anyway, since the communists moved back in after we moved out. All that we did was a destroy a country who'd done nothing wrong to us, and didn't really want our "help" in the first place. England REALLY did the right thing by giving us a hand with that...

I seriously doubt that by breaking from the commonwealth, England would totally refuse to help us out when we needed it, anyway. America hasn't been part of the commonwealth for years, and the English are still sending troops to fight wars etc with them.

flappinghippo

HSC
veloc1ty said:
What reasons are there for keeping the monarchy (apart from "it works fine as it is")?
Because then we don't have to get off our arses, out of living our own lives, to have to devote 'responsible-citizen-caring time' (ie. getting politically involved in our society; always a strain on the very fibres deep within that constitute your soul) all so its biggest impact on your life is a few more kangaroos on the dollar coin than before.

GERALD is sitting on a couch watching TV, when he learns that the dollar coin will be getting redesigned with some shitty wildlife scenes, upon Australia becoming a declared republic.

[Gerald]: Oh wow! All that time I spent on this was so worth it!

(Audience laughs)

FINNIGAN walks in..

[Finnigan]:"..NOT!"

(Chuckles from audience)

GERALD and FINNIGAN'S eyes meet; silence. After a moment they walk instinctively together towards each other, and stop at arm's length from each other.

[Gerald] (seductively whispered): Hey there sonny-lad-boy-o-jimbob, what brings you here?

[Finnigan]: Fockin ell!

FINNIGAN impales GERALD with JAVELIN

(Audience laughs as GERALD'S screams are gargled up in lungs filling with blood)

(Main theme starts to play)

Finnigan! The one and only!
Once again! His life's a felony!
Always irate, and quick to hate,
Fin-igan, The
Irish-man
Arrives stolid with your fate!

Last edited:
HSC
At present, to become Australia's head of state:

- You must be a Protestant at the time of assuming the position

- If you have ever in your life declared yourself a Catholic, you cannot assume the position

- You are forbidden from marrying a Catholic

For some reason I don't feel such an institution is quite in line with modern Australian standards of respect and decency for people of religions other than Protestantism.

The fears of the PM having too much power are nonsense. No-one is proposing making the Prime Minister the head of state. Every major form of Republic proposed involves replacing the Queen and Governor-General with a President, who him/herself would be bound by the same limitations the present GG is.

Personally, I'd favour a system by which the President comes form the High Court, selecting the most senior judge who will accept the position. Parliament should also have the ability to dismiss the President with a vote requiring a two-thirds majority.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)