Queensland Med Courses (1 Viewer)

rheyn

HSC
Hey,

I used to think that the UQ provisional med course was the most prestigious med course in Queensland, until recently where I have heard from many people that UQ med is the "if your UMAT and/or ATAR isn't good enough elsewhere, you can come here" type course.

Of course this is stereotyping but still: I just want to know which undergrad Med course in Queensland is the most prestigious/hardest to get into?

Thanks

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Medicine is medicine, at the end of the day you'll have an MBBS or god help me a B.MED (same as MBBS, just a different name as Uncle/UNE want to be different).

I think you have heard incorectly, you still have to achieve a very high ATAR equiv to OP1 or ~99 (or have bonus points, etc I don't think they apply anymore) for UQ provisional med.

Qld only has two undergrad uni's JCU and Bond. Griffith and UQ are graduate medical programs which both offer undergraduate provisional offers/schemes. Out of all of them UQ would have to be the most prestigious simply because it is recognised as the oldest program, and has well established resources. Also most domestic clinicians would have come from there, so of course there is going to be more prestige on UQ. Despite what the students say, even UQ students, they are just saying in jest and playing you as a fool. Since they would of have to get OP1 or close to it and do reasonably will it in UMAT; unfortunately UQ is the only uni to have scrapped interviews that's why you get some idiots who say sh*t. It was obviously a big mistake, IMO.

Technically JCU is the hardest undergrad program to get into, UQ is the hardest provisional program to get into. But overall i'd say UQ is the hardest to get into both provisionally and through graduate streams.

bradpitt

HSC
Hey,

I used to think that the UQ provisional med course was the most prestigious med course in Queensland, until recently where I have heard from many people that UQ med is the "if your UMAT and/or ATAR isn't good enough elsewhere, you can come here" type course.

Of course this is stereotyping but still: I just want to know which undergrad Med course in Queensland is the most prestigious/hardest to get into?

Thanks
I say you heard Bullshit.

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
lol the UMAT part is def true. i mean the UMAT cutoff dropped to 160 (unweighted) which is lower than anywhere in Australia for, essentially, a medical course. the reason for this was that they doubled their intake for the provisional stream from 100 to 200 and lowered their graduate intake from 200 to 100.

90% of the ppl i know (who did UMAT) got offered for UQ provisional med. and all (i mean ALL) turned it down in favour of either UNSW, Monash, UAdel or UNewcastle. for a variety of reasons e.g. the fact that its provisional, the 6 year length etc.

however, the fact that it requires OP1 or (99ATAR) cuts out a lot of people and makes it difficult for many who are unlikely to achieve it. but if you have the right subjects and are looking at 95-99 ATAR, you will make it in on the bonus scheme.

in terms of the classical definition of prestige, UQ is still the most prestigious, def not the hardest to get into. JCU would be the most difficult for a non-rural student as Wooz mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)