Query: Overloading advice for Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

JiGaXD

HSC
Hi! I'm currently studying B.Actuarial Studies/Laws in my first year, and I'm currently wondering if I should overload. I gained credit for MATH1115 so I'm currently studying STAT2001.

Reading from the B.Actuarial Studies or any such combined degree study guide, it says that students are required to "overload" or attend "summer school" if they are to gain exemptions from AIAA Part 2 or something? Sorry if I get this wrong.

Nevertheless, I'm wondering if I should overload. I'm considering doing LAWS1202, 1204, STAT2008, 2032, ECON1102 next semester. I know this sounds crazy, but hey I'm studying actuarial studies and law.

Also, I read that you need a 65% average to overload from the faculty of commerce - Is that a 65% average of all your subjects, or just your commerce subjects? Considering I failed one of my law assignments, 14/30 -_-.

Thanks.

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I don't know specifically about how things work with Actuarial Studies etc. but I think that even if you are eligible, the College office wouldn't be terribly inclined to approve it just because you want it in the absence of some compelling reason. Particularly because you're a first year and you aren't catching up on an underloaded semester or anything like that.

chooette

PhB Chemistry (Hons)
HSC
I don't see a reason why you would have to overload, but if you're getting good marks they'll probably let you overload. I know an engineering student who was allowed to overload in both semesters of second year simply for interests sake (and thus finished the degree with extra units).

If you're not getting above a 65% average it seems unlikely though...

JiGaXD

HSC
I want to overload because I would like to gain exemptions from IAA Part 1. For those who no prior knowledge of actuarial qualifications, and by no means does this apply that I am correct - that to become a fully qualified actuary, you need to pass 3 parts to get the FIAA qualification.

So even though I've been exempt from a subject (completed UMEP maths in year 12), I would still like to overload to gain the exemption from part 1, plus challenge myself I guess...

My grades are okay I guess, it's just that I majorly screwed up the first assignment for law, but it was a first assignment so I pretty much braced myself for a low mark, even though the mark I received was even lower.

Sammy-Blue

HSC
I suggest you familiarize yourself with how the exemptions work, and you will see which courses you need to complete in order to get the full pt 1 (you need to do 3 which don't appear on the Act/Law ANU page, one of which is just a pre-req for another). I'll leave you to find them yourself.

JiGaXD

HSC
Ah. Thanks heaps Sammy!

For those wondering, these three subjects are:
Macroeconomics 2 (ECON2102)
Investments (FINM3001)
Continuous Time Finance (FINM3003)

Refer to: ANU - ANU COLLEGE OF BUSINESS & ECONOMICS

Anyways, I don't think I'll end up overloading for next semester anyway, I'm struggling so much with this foundations of aus. law essay at the moment. The advantages of being spoon-fed in high school have come back to haunt me. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)