Query (1 Viewer)

haboozin

Do you uhh.. Yahoo?
HSC
c_james said:
Exact same thing happened to me. I was ranked first in the subject, both according to my teacher and studentsonline, and I ended up with an assessment mark of 47 and an exam mark of 48.

Thanks to averaging I still ended up with 48/50 overall, but it's most curious that an anomaly like that occurred.
hey,

this might be because of averaging?

you could have been in the lower end of 48 (ie 95) in your hsc exam, and hsc exma marks could scale up while assessment mark given to the highest ranked person would be scaled down.

There is evidence that a (eg 48) obtained by 1 person is considered to be a different mark as 48 by another person..

there is evidence in table A-3 http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/2005-Table-A3.pdf

if you go down to English Extension 2... both MAX mark achieved and the 99th percentile got 50/50 however the 50 for the MAX was scaled to 50 for uai but the 50 for the 99th percentile was only scaled to 49.1

this brings the idea that 2 people doing exactly the same subjects obtaining exactly the same marks could get different UAI's

has this occured to anyone in a 2unit subject (since there wouldnt be any averaging)

then we should be concerned....

Last edited:

Felixxx

HSC
Sorry I forgot about this thread. I took my problem up with the HSC advice line and it turns out my school submitted 3 people ranked as first.

I had the highest exam mark (48) but the other two firsts received 46. Due to scaling my assessment mark became 46.

The problem then is not due to scaling but due to an error by my school: I was the only student to receive full marks in the course and my assessment ranks throughout the year corroborate that; therefore the school made a mistake. The advice line basically told me to ''drop it'', that it wasn't so important etc.. But I'm going to take it up with my school when they start again later this month.

C_James, I recommend you call the advice line and ask if your school submitted more than one person with a rank of first. That might shed some light on the anomaly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)