Question 3 |4 | 5 (1 Viewer)

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
im interested to see how many people wrote it as a reflection...and how many wrote it as an essay, ie - first or third person?

dawso

HSC
however, thats if you took it as an essay....

as the question specifically adressed the responder twice, we had been told this is a reflection so it shoudl be done in first person about what YOU have learnt....not some shit about what HAS BEEN learnt....

hence y im findin out what others did...

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
i didnt write my essay in first person either. i just talked about the responder's expanded understanding and assumed my inclusion under that. 12 pages.

aim2fire

AIMZ
HSC
I thought we had to write in first person throughout the whole essay.. coz it asked for our opinion... ??

dawso

HSC
aim2fire said:
I thought we had to write in first person throughout the whole essay.. coz it asked for our opinion... ??
yeah, i dont see how u could answer the question without first person...

"to what extent has it broadened YOUR understanding of YOURself...............um, yeah, heaps..."

consty_87

HSC
I thought that it was a bit odd that they asked for your own opinion in a question that was obviously asking for an exposition response. The question itself did not really correlate well with text type required, but I think that the markers will understand that there was a fair bit of confusion regarding this issue - they are marking a few thousand papers, and we're always told that they're trying to give out marks, not take them away! Anyway, it will be interesting to read the comments from the marking centre when their released.

consty_87

HSC
Also, there was a question a bit like this a few years ago (when the area of study was 'Changing'). It was something along the lines of "how has your understanding of ... been illuminated?" A lot of students also answered that one in first person, but our teacher said that this was wrong, since expositions are really a one-sided argument showing your opinion anyway.

AlabasterMan

Outside, looking in. Inside, looking out.
HSC
The obvious problem with writing any essay in first person is that no teacher, anywhere, wants to hear your opinion. Face it. Writing in third person relegates the teachers to reading secondhand (poorly disguised) plagiarised material from multiple sources, and occasional opinions carefully phrased to avoid appearing as your opinions. Writing in first person just makes it look like you're taking other people's ideas and presenting them specifically as your own. Even if you do actually manage a coherent thought without actually stealing it from somewhere, that thought is guaranteeably going to have been written and thought of many times before. So, write in third person, because otherwise you attract the overwhelming hatred of someone who's being paid not-very-much to sit in a poorly ventilated, stifling room and mark the same tripe HUNDREDS OF TIMES OVER.

If you haven't realised that you suck by now, well, you suck. So there.

dawso

HSC
AlabasterMan said:
The obvious problem with writing any essay in first person is that no teacher, anywhere, wants to hear your opinion. Face it. Writing in third person relegates the teachers to reading secondhand (poorly disguised) plagiarised material from multiple sources, and occasional opinions carefully phrased to avoid appearing as your opinions. Writing in first person just makes it look like you're taking other people's ideas and presenting them specifically as your own. Even if you do actually manage a coherent thought without actually stealing it from somewhere, that thought is guaranteeably going to have been written and thought of many times before. So, write in third person, because otherwise you attract the overwhelming hatred of someone who's being paid not-very-much to sit in a poorly ventilated, stifling room and mark the same tripe HUNDREDS OF TIMES OVER.

If you haven't realised that you suck by now, well, you suck. So there.
obviously YOU are one of these people hu just go by what u are taught and dont even read the question, my answering yesterday's question in first person it doesnt meant u are requuired 2 say the techniques used were ur own ideas, but what YOU have learnt is YOUR ideas.....

i beleive the markers will want 2 read it in first person because just saying "the responder has learnt" or some shit is crap cause im sure the teachers learnt different stuff by 'responding to the text' and to a different extent so the extent that this text has expanded MY understanding is different to the way it may hav expanded your understanding so i said it was MY understanding...not just some random fucker's understanding

geez im gettin psyched about english for the first time in my life....hate this so bad (N)

AlabasterMan

Outside, looking in. Inside, looking out.
HSC
^actually, you don't need to go through the whole 'the responder has learnt' routine. And you're right; doing that would be worse than writing in first person, because it has the same effect, takes longer to write and is utterly banal. So congratulations, you have acquired a point. Pity its not really that relevant.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
I went okay...wrote a fair bit by my standards...dont know if i made the link very well though :\

Serenade

Sailor Moon
HSC
I personally didn't like the open nature of the question, considering it was an open invite for people to toss in their generic memorised essays... And I was sort of expecting a non-essay form, considering the trend from the past few years... Oh wells, I suppose that means lots more randomness in Modules! XD

kouklitsa

dawso said:
however, thats if you took it as an essay....

as the question specifically adressed the responder twice, we had been told this is a reflection so it shoudl be done in first person about what YOU have learnt....not some shit about what HAS BEEN learnt....

hence y im findin out what others did...
i totally know what u mean... everyones saying it was a straight out 'greater understanding' question... so i did that but what i did was i kept sayign how it affects the reader/responder/viewer as well.. kept it in 3rd person but made sure i had that as well to cover myself... coz technically it was asking how it did shape our understanding

amy rose

I did physical journeys and i thought the question was very broad, but when i got out of the exam room i realised i did not once refer to the "yourselves, individuals and the world" part, instead i just refferred to all three as "us"! I'm hoping this ambiguous word will be accepted my the examiners!
Also, i wrote it in third person as i felt stupid saying 'i' but you'd probably get more marks for making it personal like that....then again all those people saying you never use 1st person in an essay seem to know what they're talking about. Oh well, its time for me to move on......GOOD LUCK FOR THURSDAY YOU GUYS!

smithica

HSC
at the time i thought it was stupid to write in 1st person but i did it anyway and now thinking back on it i guess, they had method to their madness in asking it.... i mean the whole point of doing an exam is to show them what we learnt and at least this time they out right told us to do that.......makes their jobs easier i guess if we say yes...... we no what journeys are.

Cloak

HSC
Lol my essay is perhaps both 1st person and third and somewhere along the lines i qouted superman because i was just cramming even though none of my supplementary has anything to do with superman

tabularasa

HSC
my friend andi were discussing this and the ideal answer we would like to put for a "what did u learn" question.. put "absolutely nothing" best essay ever.

freaked

HSC
Well I can honestly say that I am now (after reading this thread) feeling really stupid.
I hated question 5. I wrote my answer in the last 5mins and had no idea what to say.
I hated that we only had to use one of the texts from the stimulus booklet.
Man I am going to fail miserably

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)