Question about Access Scheme (1 Viewer)

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Don't worry, that's an easy fix :p. If you got two of either NSW/SYD or UTS i'd take it as a good indication of your chances of getting it for either MAQ/ANU/UWS or whatever.

Lainee

HSC
Yeah, but then I'd start worrying that I felt too sure that it was in the bag that I'll start worrying that my UAI wouldn't be enough even with EAS. And I betcha that after I get my UAI it's going to be in a grey area and I have to start worrying about whether EAS was enough to get me in. :p Ayy... going to be a long month.

aditya

HSC
@ lainee

if its any consolidation i heard someone that got 91.8 made the commerce at sydney

and commerce at unsw is 93.25 (or was)

and law went down from 2003!! how mad is that... it was like 98.4 last yr it was 98 :eek:

amazing...

but yeh im in the same boat neo... i want the MAC one!!! sooo bad... if i get that ill be over the moon then i can goto accoutning/finance and use that elite transfer system to go intoa acturial mid way through!! big relief...

lol good luck to all of us unforntunate people.. hahaha

Lainee

HSC
aditya said:
@ lainee

if its any consolidation i heard someone that got 91.8 made the commerce at sydney

and commerce at unsw is 93.25 (or was)

and law went down from 2003!! how mad is that... it was like 98.4 last yr it was 98 :eek:

amazing...

but yeh im in the same boat neo... i want the MAC one!!! sooo bad... if i get that ill be over the moon then i can goto accoutning/finance and use that elite transfer system to go intoa acturial mid way through!! big relief...

lol good luck to all of us unforntunate people.. hahaha

If the cutoff for EAS Law went down last yr then it could very probably go up this year. :(

So no one has gotten the UTS letter so far, still?

Melody

HSC
N/A
dimsum86 said:
I got rejected from UNSW and USYD.
Hm...i'm not stupid enough....
I didn't apply for USYD but I got rejected by UNSW.
It really sucks because my marks HAVE been severely affected over the course of the last two years, especially the past six months. My application could have been better but even with what is in there I should have gotten accepted. Shits me when others get in who may not have been affected by their disadvantage while someone who has been disadvantaged significantly does not. Luckily I have moved more toward Mac or ACU :D Should get in without EAS too :) If I did still want to go to UNSW, they would have had a dozen phone calls from me already trying to sort the whole mess out :)

Lainee

HSC
Melody said:
Shits me when others get in who may not have been affected by their disadvantage while someone who has been disadvantaged significantly does not.
Well, you wouldn't know whether someone -was- seriously disadvantaged would you, unless you can walk in their shoes? I trust that the people who filter through the EAS applications are experienced enough, after years of reading such applications, to chuck out bogus claims. Like myself, I went through the worst two years of my life but when I submitted my EAS application and friends asked I just told them: "Nah, just bullshitted to get the thing." I think alot of people do that too - just to save themselves the shame of having to explain why. I think the selectors are the best judges of who deserves the scheme and who doesn't.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
yea im one of the ones who just pretends to others i bullshitted my application because i dont like telling them the real reason

Melody

HSC
N/A
Lainee said:
Well, you wouldn't know whether someone -was- seriously disadvantaged would you, unless you can walk in their shoes? I trust that the people who filter through the EAS applications are experienced enough, after years of reading such applications, to chuck out bogus claims. Like myself, I went through the worst two years of my life but when I submitted my EAS application and friends asked I just told them: "Nah, just bullshitted to get the thing." I think alot of people do that too - just to save themselves the shame of having to explain why. I think the selectors are the best judges of who deserves the scheme and who doesn't.
I too said that I "just bsed to get it" and I understand your argument but in my case I can't understand why I was knocked back while others that I know whose performance was not really affected by their disadvantage (given, I do not walk in their shoes) were accepted. My gripe is not with others getting in, it is my frustration at going through so much, with my results evidently and substantially affected, and yet told that I was not disadvantaged enough. As I said, I am not interested in UNSW anymore, otherwise I would be on the phone trying to work things out. I can get in by myself but I really feel for others now and in the future who are not as fortunate in that respect.

HSC
Hm, its good that you all bothered to actually submit the EAS form though...I was one of the people who did not bother submitting their form - I was really dumb not too though, and I really regret not doing it because I can't get into my 1st preference now. GIven, my UAI is still heaps good, but I thought I wanted to do Commerce, and I knew I had enough to get into a comm/econ degree....but turns out that I want to do law....which i can still do, just not at my uni of choice. SO i'm heaps angry at myself for that, especialyl since I had teachers telling me to submit Access since the beginning of the year...but then again, I guess I can always transfer...

Anywho, moral of this post: has there ever been a case where an access application has been accepted after the closing dates, just out of interest? ;)

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
Melody said:
I too said that I "just bsed to get it" and I understand your argument but in my case I can't understand why I was knocked back while others that I know whose performance was not really affected by their disadvantage (given, I do not walk in their shoes) were accepted. My gripe is not with others getting in, it is my frustration at going through so much, with my results evidently and substantially affected, and yet told that I was not disadvantaged enough. As I said, I am not interested in UNSW anymore, otherwise I would be on the phone trying to work things out. I can get in by myself but I really feel for others now and in the future who are not as fortunate in that respect.
yeh i agree cuz i remember dat wen i recieved de letter n wen i actually discovered dat i was not ''disadvantaged enough'' i felt as if they had jus accused me of lyn its was such a terrible feeling....like to go through 2 yrs of hell n den to be accused of lyn (well it was certainly implied newayz...) n yeh wen u no in ur heart dat u urself n others alike have GENUINLEY been disadavantaged n had de potential of doin so much beta n to b denied an only alternative...well i seriously fink dat they should do a bit of confirmation cuz sum students really bullshit while others were damn serious...

jellybeenz

HSC
Whatever, some people get EAS when they don't even deserve it. My friend gets all these extra UAI points because of her supposed low-income family- bullshit she has no money. The girl has a hell of a lot nicer clothes than me (all brand name), she has a computer, internet-access, there isn't a weekend she doesnt go out-- yet she has no money? she doesnt even have a job. All because her parents are divorced and she comes from a single-parent family.

She hasn't been affected by her low-income or single-parent family, she isnt that smart- but she still gets to do Arts at Sydney Uni, where I will probably miss out just because my parents are still together (even though they hate each other and their constant fighting sure as hell has affected my study). But I don't qualify. I hate people who screw with the system- same works for everyone who rips off centrelink.

Sasky

HSC
jellybeenz said:
Whatever, some people get EAS when they don't even deserve it. My friend gets all these extra UAI points because of her supposed low-income family- bullshit she has no money. The girl has a hell of a lot nicer clothes than me (all brand name), she has a computer, internet-access, there isn't a weekend she doesnt go out-- yet she has no money? she doesnt even have a job. All because her parents are divorced and she comes from a single-parent family.

She hasn't been affected by her low-income or single-parent family, she isnt that smart- but she still gets to do Arts at Sydney Uni, where I will probably miss out just because my parents are still together (even though they hate each other and their constant fighting sure as hell has affected my study). But I don't qualify. I hate people who screw with the system- same works for everyone who rips off centrelink.

'Whatever?'
I'm sorry, but I couldn't stand that type of BS. How do u know if she 'deserves it'? Just because u may not be eligible does not make her any less of a candidate. I cant believe u even have the guts to even call her your 'friend'.
I applied for the EAS Scheme and also was approved due to coming from a 'single parent family'. But how can u state that she 'hasnt been affected' from being so?

Although it may seem she leads a 'normal' life - which u define as having 'brand named' clothes, internet access and a computer - even if I have all these things u have mentioned, and furthermore work (unlike ur 'friend') to get some of these things - her parents could make a lot of sacrifices to make her life more 'normal'. Mine has.

You seem to imply that due to the fact that you suffer from the nature of your parents' conflicting relationship (what teenager doesn't?) - this seems to deem urself worthy of a few extra UAI points. How can u even sleep at night thinking u 'miss out just because my parents are still together'? Be grateful they are - that is THE most asshole of a comment I've ever heard one person say on this forum.

People who go around stating they 'hate people who screw with the system' are only bitter and ignorant. They hardly 'rip off Centrelink'. If u knew any better, it is thoroughly difficult to be eligible for any funding, it is necessary to provide ligitimate evidence before anybody can seriously 'rip off' Centrelink. Get ur facts straight. Don't 'whatever'.

Lainee

HSC
I completely agree with what you said Sasky.

I think it's as equally devasting to find out that your legitimate application was not accepted as it is to be successful for it and have others critisise your legitimacy. I find people like jellybeanz who claim that they know someone who doesn't deserve it are either 1. over-exagerrating the frequency of some very few exceptions that manage to enhance the severity of their condition (the disadvantage still exists - eg. separated people - though not to a degree that would qualify them for EAS) or 2. don't really know the true nature of the situation because as I said it is never truly 'knowable'. It is best that when a situation remains this unclear and that real feelings are at stake that people do not make such unjust statements about the legitimacy of some EAS claims.

Melody and mz_purfect - I empathise with the situation you are put in right now, and if I could offer my EAS place to one or both of you I would sincerely do that. I've decided that I don't need EAS to get into my course of choice after all - despite all my disadvantages I've managed to top a whole bunch of perfectly healthy, normal individuals and that's all the satisfaction I need - I can conquer despite adversity. I hope that you both can share in this same frame of mind as myself - you both have UAIs worth envying after and if you think of the masses of people who you topped despite what you both faced. :)

Last edited:

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Where do u get one of these EAS forms?
i have real reasons not BS...

Lainee

HSC
You should be able to get a copy of the new booklet (2006 EAS Booklet) from your career's advisor and/or school counsellor sometime in the middle of the year - June or so. The form is included in the booklet. If you just want to read this year's information (2005 Booklet) it is available online here: http://www.uac.edu.au/pubs/pdf/easbook-2005.pdf

Last edited:

mz_purfect

Pedantic Perfectionist
A paradoxical world where innocents suffer n crims
HSC
Lainee said:
you both have UAIs worth envying after and if you think of the masses of people who you topped despite what you both faced. :)
thanks heaps 4 empathisin wif me Laineee really weneva ne1 i no discovers dat i was rejected is incredulous n empathises wif me...
btw wot confuses me though is how on earth do u know that i got an enviable UAI???? as far as i can remember...i have neva EVA posted my UAI on dis site....hmm Lainee???
newayz im over de EAS thingo cuz as far as i know evrythn happens 4 a reason n i know dat im lucky enuf to get into almost ne course i want all thanks to God. :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)