Question about B Laws (Graduate Entry) (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
maxi_bon said:
does anyone know if grad law students are mixed in with other combined law students in classes?
they are in combined 4th year (graduate 2nd year) i believe

ballin

Banned
HSC
to transfer into combined law the requirements are a UAI over 96 and a D average apparently, but i heard that they accept credit or high credit averages if your UAI is high enough. is this true?

04er

HSC
you should call up the law faculty, i'm sure they'd be more than happy to answer all your questions

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
bustinjustin said:
Let's not call it a 'back door' into law.

I like to think of it as 'the Scenic Route'. On the bright side, you'll be able to do a second major in your Commerce degree, and possibly still have space for random electives. Hell, I'm even planning an honours year and will be at uni for 7 years all up.

On that note - if one was to do Graduate Law, do we 'graduate' from our first degree before we do Grad Law, or do we just attend the one graduation ceremony and receive both testamurs after law?
hmm this sounds like a good option. Im enrolled in combined commerce/law at UOW but i don't particularly like the course structure of the law degree here and have switched to commerce for my first year. I also wanna double major (eco/finance) with some maths subjects and possibly an honours year thrown in. Im lost- do i leave my combined degree for now, concentrate on just getting my commerce degree then move up to syd and try for grad law (i like the elective choices better at syd law school). Or is this too risky? What marks do u need for grad law assuming i get honours in commerce (my UAI is close to 98/ got HD's in commerce so far)????

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Cookie182 said:
hmm this sounds like a good option. Im enrolled in combined commerce/law at UOW but i don't particularly like the course structure of the law degree here and have switched to commerce for my first year. I also wanna double major (eco/finance) with some maths subjects and possibly an honours year thrown in. Im lost- do i leave my combined degree for now, concentrate on just getting my commerce degree then move up to syd and try for grad law (i like the elective choices better at syd law school). Or is this too risky? What marks do u need for grad law assuming i get honours in commerce (my UAI is close to 98/ got HD's in commerce so far)????
they normally say that for sydney grad law the entrance standard is about 90 UAI and high credit to distinction average. with a 98 UAI and Ds/HDs you shouldn't have any problem.

doink

Clone
HSC
For Grad Law @ usyd UAI of 90 and Credit Average is a competitive mark to have.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Triangulum said:
There's no difference between combined law and graduate law in terms of material studied, and you'll end up with the same qualifications - B.Comm. and LLB. The only real difference is that the graduate route will take a year longer than the combined route.

So if the only difference is the extra year, does that mean the overall study level is just lighter? (due to it being more spread out)

doink said:
For Grad Law @ usyd UAI of 90 and Credit Average is a competitive mark to have.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems a little easy. The UAI component especially appears quite low - compared to the 99 or so required for under-grad entry - and the Credit average doesn't seem overly difficult, so am I missing something? Is this info wrong? Or am I just in denial about the relative ease of this entry scheme?

Here's hoping its option 3 :spin:

HSC
bell531 said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems a little easy. The UAI component especially appears quite low - compared to the 99 or so required for under-grad entry - and the Credit average doesn't seem overly difficult, so am I missing something? Is this info wrong? Or am I just in denial about the relative ease of this entry scheme?

Here's hoping its option 3 :spin:
Yeah it seems like Grad Law is much easier to get into than the 99.6 you need to get in through the HSC. But remember that, having studied at uni for ~3 years, you'll probably be more prepared for the LLB than a 100 UAI spotty HSC graduate.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
olivegreentiger said:
I read in UAC that graduate law is three years, not one :(
Graduate Law is 3 years, Combined Law (under-grad) is generally 5 years. But if you complete another degree first, often 3 years, and then enter and complete Grad. entry Law, another 3 years, then the total is 6 years - 1 year longer than Combined Law.

So, for example, you complete a straight Economics degree (3 years I think) and then Graduate Law (3 years) the total is six.
However, completing Combined Eco/Law is 5, so I assume this means that Combined Law is generally more "crammed"?

spence

HSC
olivegreentiger said:
I read in UAC that graduate law is three years, not one :(
Did you really think you can do a law degree in one year?

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
Hey new question for anyone that can answer it...if I plan to do a straight Comm degree then Grad Law, can I pick subjects during Commerce which I can credit (grammar?) when I start Law?

Also, by doing this is there any way I could shorten the length of the Law degree if I had already done some overlapping subjects?

I'm hoping I've phrased all that correctly but I'm really tired right now...

HSC
You can't count a unit of study towards two degrees. :(

EDIT: If there are "overlapping" subjects between your two degrees, I suspect you would be required to pick an elective subject to make up for the subject that you've already done.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I don't think that can happen. You can't shorten the 6 years duration of a supplementary degree with a Graduate Law degree.

paulpang22288

HSC
Me: BArchSt with 5.506 GPA (Mid- Credit average) + UAI with 99.4

I should get in USyd LLB Graduate Law right? RIGHT??? (oh jeez I am so nervous)

r.uss

HSC
Here is everything I gained from talking to all the Law people today (in excess of 2.5 hours total talking time):

Graduate Law is not a one year course, it's three. You complete all of the subjects that Combined undergraduate law students complete over the first three years of their combined degree. In the second and third years you join the undergraduates (their equivalent fourth and fifth years, in which they study pure law along with you).

The law booklet itself explains that no matter how you enter this particular degree you come out with an LLB; the graduate stream isn't any different, and is not looked upon differently by employers.

In terms of transferring after completing one year in another degree I have been told to ensure you are competitive in the selection process (80 places out of a total 250 each year are reserved for transferring students) you should have a UAI of 96 and a distinction average for your Grade Point Average. IF your GPA is better than your UAI they will just go off your GPA. To be safe, aim for a High Distinction.

To the initial poster (if this is still relevant): you would be better just completing a commerce degree and then doing graduate law, rather than transferring, since you will have a total of 6 studying years anyway. I'm only transferring because I spent a year doing something totally unrelated to Law/Science.

rx34

HSC
In terms of transferring after completing one year in another degree I have been told to ensure you are competitive in the selection process (80 places out of a total 250 each year are reserved for transferring students) you should have a UAI of 96 and a distinction average for your Grade Point Average. IF your GPA is better than your UAI they will just go off your GPA. To be safe, aim for a High Distinction.
Wow 80 places? Fuck, my GPA is not HD 7. It's 6.25 for 1st year and my UAI is really shit (90s+). Fuck I really blame myself for not pushing myself in second semester. I'll probably cry my heart out on 20th Jan :(

Enough of me sulking, how did you go in your GPA for first year?

r.uss

HSC
Well, distinction average is all that's required! My GPA is only 6.44, however my UAI is 99+... If I don't get into law/science I'll throw the biggest hissy fit EVER.

chiefoverlord

HSC
Well, this is exactly what I did.

I had a 90. Yes, that's right. Then I did a Communications degree, and absolutely axed it. Got into law, graduate entry. Now I'm doing an LLM.

There is a future out there, so long as you bust your balls - no slacking off like you did in school ;D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)