Question about B Laws (Graduate Entry) (1 Viewer)

Ricky09

HSC
I recieved a UAI of 93.65 which will currently allow me to enter B Commerce at USYD. I was planning on trying to transfer to B Law/Com after a year but have been told this is queit hard and competitive. Therefore, i was thinking about completing B Commerce and then applying for B Laws (Graduate Entry) which will take an extra year total. But, i was curious as to are there any major differences between doing two seperate commerce and law degrees than doing the combined degree? As in, will B Commerce and then B Laws (Graudate Entry) give me the same qualifications as the combined degree.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
There's no difference between combined law and graduate law in terms of material studied, and you'll end up with the same qualifications - B.Comm. and LLB. The only real difference is that the graduate route will take a year longer than the combined route.

Graduate law is my strategy as well (with Arts instead of Commerce), after my slightly-too-low-for-transfer UAI arrived. Go team not-quite-good-enough!

Ricky09

HSC
Haha.

Good to hear. And yeah, go team bak door into law.

bustinjustin

HSC
Ricky09 said:
Haha.

Good to hear. And yeah, go team bak door into law.
Let's not call it a 'back door' into law.

I like to think of it as 'the Scenic Route'. On the bright side, you'll be able to do a second major in your Commerce degree, and possibly still have space for random electives. Hell, I'm even planning an honours year and will be at uni for 7 years all up.

On that note - if one was to do Graduate Law, do we 'graduate' from our first degree before we do Grad Law, or do we just attend the one graduation ceremony and receive both testamurs after law?

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
bustinjustin said:
On that note - if one was to do Graduate Law, do we 'graduate' from our first degree before we do Grad Law, or do we just attend the one graduation ceremony and receive both testamurs after law?
I assume it's the former.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Obviously it would be the former since "Graduate" Law is for graduates.

HSC
Im thinking of doing this too atm...After looking for jobs over the summer holidays Ive come to the shocking realisation that I possess literally no marketable skills.

But Im still not sure. If I do grad law I will be at uni until Im 24. That is, like, way old.

= Jennifer =

HSC
Silver Persian said:
Im thinking of doing this too atm...After looking for jobs over the summer holidays Ive come to the shocking realisation that I possess literally no marketable skills.

But Im still not sure. If I do grad law I will be at uni until Im 24. That is, like, way old.
Not really considering the average law student (assuming just straight fresh from school) finishes at around 22/23 yrs old

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
Not really considering the average law student (assuming just straight fresh from school) finishes at around 22/23 yrs old
Yeah that's true...but another three years at uni seems like ages...

HSC
markzada said:
Poor doctors. They finish their internship when they are like 26? Add 3-6 more years for a specialty... 30ish mch ?

Grad law FTW!
aww..99.50? :( There's a chance the cutoff will drop a little this year :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
bustinjustin said:
Even if you do combined law you graduate from commerce before you complete the law degree, not the case for all unis though

ballin

Banned
HSC
question. how does the HECS system work for Grad Law? do the fees for it just add onto the fees we have already accumulated?

HSC
N/A
Yep. It's still an undergraduate degree, just graduate entry. So the course fees simply get piled on to your existing HECS debt.

freejk

HSC
I am starting this B law (graduate entry) from next feb.

I was wondering if qualification of grad entry law is more prestige than the combined one?

i heard it from somewhere but as i can see, they are just same LLBs.

abcdeg

HSC
ohhh i really want to do a double major in commerce and also think that a 99.5 UAI is just a LITTLE crazy so this seems perfect!!

what do you have to do to qualify for grad law? is there like a specific grade that you have to get in the degree you did before or anything?

freejk

HSC
yeah im not 100% sure but i guess the total mark for ur previous degree must be at least above 70?

HSC
abcdeg said:
ohhh i really want to do a double major in commerce and also think that a 99.5 UAI is just a LITTLE crazy so this seems perfect!!

what do you have to do to qualify for grad law? is there like a specific grade that you have to get in the degree you did before or anything?
To have solid grounds for entry into grad law, AFAIK, you need a UAI of over 90, and a distinction average in your course degree. Obviously, the cutoffs change a little from year to year, but if you do both of those things you should have a good chance of entry.

maxi_bon

HSC
does anyone know if grad law students are mixed in with other combined law students in classes?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)