Question about choosing related texts (1 Viewer)

rebeccatommo

HSC
Just wondering everyone seems to comment saying to kind of back away from texts that have been overused.
Anyone know why? What if you can analyse it really well?

Though also was wondering if "The Perks of being a Wallflower" (Novel) was an overused text?
Was going to use finding nemo as a film but relised its probably not best to use a disney film and its probably overused aswell.
Though was thinking Up in the Air as a film?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering everyone seems to comment saying to kind of back away from texts that have been overused.

Though also was wondering if "The Perks of being a Wallflower" (Novel) was an overused text?
Was going to use finding nemo as a film but relised its probably not best to use a disney film and its probably overused aswell.
That should be fine.

wogboy23

HSC

People tend to relay the message that overused texts should be veered away from, because from repetitive markings year after year, the marker will have a pretty solid understanding of values, context and belonging-related ideologies of your text, thereby honing in more quickly within the small time frames they are given to mark your papers.

Having said that, I got a Band 6 in Advanced English last year (95), and used one text that was common, and another that wasn't as frequently mentioned. My core text was 'As You Like It', which I then coupled with my chief associate text, 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding' (imo, probably a cliche belonging film). I then further elaborated the challenges of belonging and not belonging with the Radiohead song, 'Paranoid Android', through notions of alienation and modern malaise etc.

So really, it all comes down to how well you evaluate your ideas, inextricably linking it to the question effectively and coherently.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think Perks would be good to do, I've only known of one person using it before so it can't be overly common.

But it may be alot more common for the 2013 HSC cause the film is coming out. But you like the novel, go for it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)