• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question about Creative Writing (1 Viewer)

Squall_Ivan

HSC
Hello. Is it better to create a creative story that does not involve teenage problems like love etc? Also, if i write a story in 3rd persson with lots of dialogue, how do i change that into a letter or a feature article? Thanks

rama_v

HSC
Squall_Ivan said:
Hello. Is it better to create a creative story that does not involve teenage problems like love etc? Also, if i write a story in 3rd persson with lots of dialogue, how do i change that into a letter or a feature article? Thanks
My teacher told us not to write anythign too senimental or too tennage-ie if you know what I mean. Also avoid excessive violence and anything too controversial is what she said...try and write what other people dont write about, it will make yours stand out - dont write a typical love story or a typical action film doen in 40 minutes if u can :)

Squall_Ivan

HSC
ok, thanks. So, if i write a story about a kid maturing, is that not too teenage problems/stlye?

Squall_Ivan

HSC
Thansk a lot. One more question is if i write a story in 3rd person with lots of dialogue, how do i change that into a letter or a feature article? Thanks

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i'm not sure I understand your question --> if you decided to write a letter, feature article etc. then you just...write it. You don't think of a story that you'd write as a short stand-alone text and then try to convert that to a letter etc.
steer away from poetry. It is far too subjective and you're setting yourself up for misery.

If you're looking for something easy that will make your work stand out, try writing in 2nd person or from a point of view not the central characters (even an inanimate object). Try doing a search through this and the advanced forums, there's been hundreds of threads asking the same question

Squall_Ivan

HSC
so... i shouldn't prepare a story and manipulate it in the test depending on text types?

LostAuzzie

HSC
We were told by our teacher, to go in with three storylines (varied to cover a much broader range of questions) and if your given a different text type you can manipulate the story to convert it to the different text type.

She also said not to go in there with something prepared for each different text type as its not worth it (I didnt quite get why but im sticking to her advice). Also dont go in with no plan whatsoever expecting to be creative because it wont be as well done as if you have some sort of plan.

I hope that helps

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A friend told me that his teacher told him that the best stories are about suicide and stuff because you have lots of room for emotive language and imagery. lol
I remember someone who wrote a short story about suicide in Year 9, and he was asked by the teacher if he had a problem or was suffering from depression after he got it back. He got quite a shock when he heard that. LOL!!!

HSC
N/A
Oh god yes, PLEASE avoid suicide and general killing-off-lead-character stories!!!

It's so entirely overdone. If you're going to do it, do it damn well, because 90% of the state will probably do it.

With the knowledge that markers sit though goodness knows how many generic journeys stories, my friends and I set out last year to be entertaining. We played a game - the more outrageous the concept, the better.

I wrote about a piece of Gak. :D It got stuck in a fishbowl!

HSC
N/A
^ that sounds interesting.

Death and suicide can be good if used well. But make sure you use it well.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
exactly, the key to any of these is 'do it well' --> if you are able in the exam to take the traditional teen-angst storylines and turn them aorund somehow, that would probably look good to a marker - however, it's pretty difficult to do that under pressure so you're best avoiding them like the plague. Death themes can be great, suicide is something else altogether

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)