Question about GPA/WAM (1 Viewer)

Hatake88

HSC
Hi guys,
I've read the GPA/WAM guide located on the top of the page (great job btw!) but still have some more specific questions.

I've done 8 junior units last year but am unhappy about the marks of two of them (low credit). This year, I am doing an entirely new degree. My question is, if I do 2 additional junior units compulsory to my new degree on top of the ones I have already done, how is my WAM calculated? The two units I seek to replace do not count towards my new degree so does it still affect my WAM?

I know at my new uni my GPA/WAM will only be based on the courses I do within the university (i.e. I get a fresh start). However, when I transfer, will my bad marks in the two units always drag me down?

Thanks!

Hatake88

HSC
Last year: Usyd

This year: MacQ

I didn't do so well in statistics (compulsory component in resource economics) but this year I'd be doing law/arts.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
You need to explain a bit better. If they are compulsory, why wouldn't they count towards your course? Why are you assuming you will get bad marks in those two, and finally, are you planning on transferring again already!?

If you are redoing two subjects you would have had credited, then they would count. You are doing them as electives, just so happens you have already done them at a different uni and elected to not be credited. The only reason I can see for doing that is wanting to bludge through a semester in a subject for the most part.

Hatake88

HSC
You need to explain a bit better. If they are compulsory, why wouldn't they count towards your course? Why are you assuming you will get bad marks in those two, and finally, are you planning on transferring again already!?

If you are redoing two subjects you would have had credited, then they would count. You are doing them as electives, just so happens you have already done them at a different uni and elected to not be credited. The only reason I can see for doing that is wanting to bludge through a semester in a subject for the most part.
Thanks for the response. Hopefully, this will help clarify:

- The two units I did were compulsory for my first degree but not in the one I am transferring to. For example, business subjects are compulsory for a commerce degree but not for an engineering one.

- I am not assuming I would get bad marks for those two. I have already gotten my final marks for those two courses and they were lower than anticipated.

- Yes, I am planning to transfer back to Usyd if possible. I would be aiming to get into the same degree as this year though so there shouldn't be any problem.

- Btw, because I want to transfer, my marks matter. If I stayed in the university I am going to this year, it won't matter as I will start with a blank slate. However, I worry that for external transfers UAC would count everything I do. And I want to find a way so that UAC does not take into account my statistic units because it will drag my overall mark down.

So, if I don't get them credited at MacQ, then UAC won't count them? I know either way MacQ won't but that's not the point.

Please help me lol. Thanks!

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
Despite your intentions, not a good move man.
How are you going to write these on your resume when you apply for jobs?
2012- 2013 B Eco USYD
2013-2014 Arts/Law, MQ
2014-2018 Arts/Law, Usyd?
(not srs)

But yes, you should have stayed at usyd given it is ONLY the first year, of a 5 year degree (at least) that you plan on transferring into. What's your current WAM? if its above 75, you are well on track for a 3rd year transfer into law if you work harder this year (pull up to 80 ish wam).
What do you plan on majoring in the arts component at MQ? Are you interested in a career in law? or business?

And good luck, it really won't matter much in the long run though! :)

Hatake88

HSC
Despite your intentions, not a good move man.
How are you going to write these on your resume when you apply for jobs?
2012- 2013 B Eco USYD
2013-2014 Arts/Law, MQ
2014-2018 Arts/Law, Usyd?
(not srs)

But yes, you should have stayed at usyd given it is ONLY the first year, of a 5 year degree (at least) that you plan on transferring into. What's your current WAM? if its above 75, you are well on track for a 3rd year transfer into law if you work harder this year (pull up to 80 ish wam).
What do you plan on majoring in the arts component at MQ? Are you interested in a career in law? or business?

And good luck, it really won't matter much in the long run though! :)
Why is it not a good look? I would tell the employer I had family problems during my HSC year, had to live on my own in 2013 but didn't give up and eventually got into MQ with a scholarship. Then, hopefully, I'll get to add that I made my way back into the best university doing one of its highest ranked courses. Its not like I had no reason for my fractured education and I think my resume shows my ability to continue trying during difficult times (afterall, I do have a counselor's account of what happened so its not like I'm lying).

And its not the first year of a five year degree. Its the second year :p My WAM is in the low 70s and I"m hoping lesser competition at MacQ (particularly in the arts faculty) + more hard work will drag it up to the 80s.

Thanks for your response anyways :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)