Question about majors (1 Viewer)

sly_skittle

HSC
I want to study Bachelor of Science (Psychology) but also combine it with another degree.
I don't know if I like arts or science more- i used to be good at maths/science then because of the teachers and the school my marks dropped but rose in the humanities. This year I went better in science/maths but they were easy subjects.
so...my question is if I combined Bachelor of Science (Psychology) with Arts/Science is it possible to major in an arts course and a science course?

Also is a major in psychology in science or arts adequate enough to do honours or should I really stick with combined Bachelor of Science (Psychology)?-doing 78 psych units as opposed to 42 in the former.
I want to study zoology and either archaeology or history.

Can I do Bachelor of Science (Psychology)/Bachelor of Arts majoring in Zoology and Archaeology?

Is this realistic;
Bachelor of Science (Psychology) and then Bachelor of Arts majoring in Archeaology and/or history and then using left over units from psych (18approx.) and arts to major in zoology as well?

Also is it hard to do an extra subject (6 units) in a semester- because the contact hours are only about 15 hours for 24 units

sly_skittle

HSC
...and one other thing
How good is ANU at teaching psychology?
I've read on the forums that UNSW and Macquarie are the best but I don't really want to move out of home- but if they were way better i would
Also ANU is ranked 6th in the world for social sciences/arts and humanities so does this include psychology?
sorry-lots of questions

mimiian

HSC
sly_skittle said:
...and one other thing
How good is ANU at teaching psychology?
I've read on the forums that UNSW and Macquarie are the best but I don't really want to move out of home- but if they were way better i would
Also ANU is ranked 6th in the world for social sciences/arts and humanities so does this include psychology?
sorry-lots of questions
one of my friends is doing B Psychology (Honour), she lives on campus and says the quality of teaching as well as life are pretty good.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Psych is OK at ANU. It's a lot better at UNSW and such, thoug.

That's not a slight on ANU, just that UNSW happens to be fantastic at what it does, while ANU is just good.

timmyh

HSC
ok, ive just finished first year of science (psych).....
i think its a bloody awesome course, with really good teaching for the vast majority.... so for slidey to slag it off gets me pissed... i have no idea what UNSW is like but i can only say that it must be incredibly brilliant to offer the same kind of quality i KNOW ANU does despite having tons more students to worry about. ANU psych labs/tutes are limited to 20 ppl each which assures good teaching. Anyway....
1st year is: 1 psych subject each semester, as well as 1 other science subject each semester, and then for the remaining 2 subjects for each semester you can do whatever you want. i used this to do arts courses - 2 sociology and two political science courses.

GO HERE: http://www.anu.edu.au/sas/handbook/ this will be able to help you out with degree requirements etc....

also to clarify with a few things u said.... science (psych) is doing a psych major through the science faculty, science (psych) is not a combined degree....
The science faculty requires you to do 2 majors if u are doing a science degree such as science (psych) obviously one of these majors would be psych, you can choose any other disipline to major in e.g. chem, bio or more psych (a double major in psych). U say u want to study zoology or archaeology or history. Zoology is done through the science faculty (i did a 1st yr science course called evolution, ecology and genetics which would prob be the closest of any 1st year subject.) I dunno if ANU offers archaeology (we do antropology in the arts faculty). We do a variety of history courses through the arts faculty.

So, when u ask is it realistic to do:
"Bachelor of Science (Psychology) and then Bachelor of Arts majoring in Archeaology and/or history and then using left over units from psych (18approx.) and arts to major in zoology as well?"
I dont think you'll be able to fit that many majors in (u really need to check this with the 2007 handbook) .... remember u only do 4 subjects a semester

So what i would recommend is doing either of
1. arts (majoring in whatever)/science (psych) and do the arts courses that interest you.. anthropology, ancient history etc id guess
2. Do science (psych) and use your options like i did to do some arts courses.
By the end of first year, or maybe even first semester you'll get a idea of what uni science and arts is all about and pick the direction you want to go in.
Im not sure whether u can do honours if u do arts/science (psych).... if u cant do honours and u want to use your psych degree ur really limited. You need some kind of 4th year psych (honours or phd) to be able to do anything in psych e.g. clinical work, hospital work etc. (excepting research).
hope this helps rather than confuses lol.... that website should be able to clarify the requirements.
Cheers, hope u decide on ANU

sly_skittle

HSC
timmyh said:
So what i would recommend is doing either of
1. arts (majoring in whatever)/science (psych) and do the arts courses that interest you.. anthropology, ancient history etc id guess
2. Do science (psych) and use your options like i did to do some arts courses.
By the end of first year, or maybe even first semester you'll get a idea of what uni science and arts is all about and pick the direction you want to go in.
Im not sure whether u can do honours if u do arts/science (psych).... if u cant do honours and u want to use your psych degree ur really limited. You need some kind of 4th year psych (honours or phd) to be able to do anything in psych e.g. clinical work, hospital work etc. (excepting research).
hope this helps rather than confuses lol.... that website should be able to clarify the requirements.
Cheers, hope u decide on ANU
Thanks for that!
I just emailed the dean of honours (or something like that) at ANU to ask whether it is possible to do honours after a combined degree so I'll wait to see what they say. If its not possible I think that I'll do Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) and also major in statistics. I really want to go to ANU but I get annoyed with the lack of courses they have which actually lead to a specific career- e.g. pharmacy, aeronautical engineering- but I guess thats because it's more of a research Uni and tailored to people who do postgraduate study

timmyh

HSC
true, ANU does get a lot of its good rep for producing research but from what ive experienced its a damn fine uni for undergrads as well.... besides as far as i know there are only 2 unis in NSW/ACT that offer something like pharmacy so ANU isnt unusual in that regard... Anyway hope u get everything sorted and enjoy ANU

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)