• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question About Occupation! (1 Viewer)

John

Hey, I am pretty sure about a career as a Computer Programmer/Engineer. What I was wondering is the following:

1) What courses should I do?
2) What UAI should I be aiming for?
3) To get into Computer Programming/Engineer, what universities can teach me about it or where should I go to learn about it what UAI?.... if needed.
4) Would the job pay well? What opportunities can I have with the job?

It would be appreciated if someone could help me out, just give me a overall knowledge about being a computer programmer/engineer and answer my questions, Thanks.

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by John
Hey, I am pretty sure about a career as a Computer Programmer/Engineer. What I was wondering is the following:

1) What courses should I do?
2) What UAI should I be aiming for?
3) To get into Computer Programming/Engineer, what universities can teach me about it or where should I go to learn about it what UAI?.... if needed.
4) Would the job pay well? What opportunities can I have with the job?

It would be appreciated if someone could help me out, just give me a overall knowledge about being a computer programmer/engineer and answer my questions, Thanks.
no need to double post, del has already answered them for you in the software forum, and it was the best forum to ask

1) Physics, 3 unit maths, SDD

2) Vaguely remember the cut-off was around 93 - 94

3) Sydney Uni, UTS, UNSW, any uni really, it's all good anyways, but some just have better reputation

4) Yes they do pay well depending what area specifcally your heading into, e.g. System Analyst, they make a fair bit

one last thing, i'd advise you to get into at least one language unless you already have and your experienced in programming, but if not choose one i.e. Visual Basic, some would say go for VB 6.0, but i'd say Visual Basic .NET, as it is true blue OOP langauge and it will allow you to build from a better foundation rather than traditional VB 6.0

just to see if you really like programming, you should try it if you haven't touched it before

and don't think it's all programming, there's alot of documentation and yucky boring work related to it

Last edited:

John

1) Cool, so the physics is for the engineering and the SDD and 3 unit maths is for programming??
2) 93-94 for WHAT? Do you have an exact figure?
3) Cool, any rough figures of their cut-offs?
4) Cool, how much would a programmer in VB while doing engineering make on average you think???
I have Visual Basic 6.0 and I am TRYING to learn how to use it and starting to program and I know the basics but I dont know where to start. Do you think Programmer/Engineer good combination? Which is better? Please give as much info as possible and it would be greatly appreciated...Thanks.

Winston

HSC
i'd certainly advise you to broaden your horizon's a little

play around with programming a few more months, make a few apps and ask people how they think etc, and if it's easy for you

Winston

HSC
just think a tad clearer
dont head into it becoz u fink its gonna earn u good money

the average person undergoes 7 career changes in their lives

i like software becoz i have a passion for it, and i still struggle to understand bits of it
if ur not generally good with computing and understanding its concepts, dont rely to heavily on this course
try other ones too

John

I'm heading into it because I love computers and I think I would be good at Programming and Engineering and it would be interesting and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible about it..I really wanna know...THanks anyway Winston, what do you do for a living? whats your a/s/l? do you use MSN or anything?

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by John
I'm heading into it because I love computers and I think I would be good at Programming and Engineering and it would be interesting and I'm trying to gather as much information as possible about it..I really wanna know...THanks anyway Winston, what do you do for a living? whats your a/s/l? do you use MSN or anything?
lol im still in yr 12

but becoz i did such a gay crappy choice of subjects
well its easy lol, not much work, but for my UAI i have to work harder

so yea oh well

yea i use msn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)