Question about phasing out of DFEE places (1 Viewer)

LILSandy

HSC
this might be a stupid question and i'm calling macquarie uni about this tomorrow, but thought id see if anyone here knows the answer...

so kevin rudd is gonna start phasing out DFEE places in 2009, no? i was offered one but i wanna defer till next year...does this mean my place might not be available to me next year even though i got an offer for it this year, or is it only that there wont be any new DFEE places offered to this years year 12? any help would be greatly appreciated cause im really confused atm

LILSandy

HSC
oh ok, so even though im not starting till 2009 my place will still be there?

also, does anyone know how hard it is to switch to CSP once youre at uni? i know you have to maintain a certain gpa...and i have no idea how id pay full fees for 5yrs so im really hoping i could switch to CSP

loser101

HSC
High Distinction Average - Distinction Average u can transfer to any course u want.
Cr Average usually only courses in the UAI 90 range
Pass average usually only courses in the 85 range
Less than a pass average, your staying where u are or dropping out

how hard is it? HD average - Dn average only 10% of students get that
Cr Average is obtainable
Pass is if u do the bare minimum
Fail is your lazy or really dumb

Last edited:

Arithela

HSC
I posted this in another thread, but maybe more people will look here:

Does that mean, as of January 1 2009, there will be no DFEE places for sure? This means there will be more CSP places but what would this do to the CSP cut-offs?

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
Yes, as a matter of fact I was just on the phone asking the UAC the same thing and as for UAI cut offs the standard would be roughly the same as last year's.
They didn't have alot of information on it though.

ness.xox

Member Member
HSC
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
I was told the cut-off would increase due to higher demand for csp courses. Before demand was split between csp and dfee, now all students will apply for csp.
Argh I hope not! I'm going to cry if thats the case noooooo!

BackCountrySnow

HSC
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
I was told the cut-off would increase due to higher demand for csp courses. Before demand was split between csp and dfee, now all students will apply for csp.
DFEE places will be abolished, leaving more CSP places.
So if anything, cutoffs will decrease.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
BackCountrySnow said:
DFEE places will be abolished, leaving more CSP places.
So if anything, cutoffs will decrease.
You do realise that with more places (as you'll need 3 csp to fill 1 dfee place) the quality of education will indefinitely diminish? The funds allocated for the salary of academics (i base this on first-hand hearsay from a professional) will not increase, and unis will find it difficult to pay these hard-working 'public servants'. As a result, there will be larger lecture and tutorial classes and less time allocated for each student (for eg during consultation).

There's also the argument of market forces that waf et al have outlined in the other thread that you yourself started.

Anywho, as a current university student, i am definitely worried about courses in 2009, and if Australia can remain competitive in delivering world-class education. The 08ers have not seen it yet, but some faculties already operate under limited budgets (ie arts) and many others (incl. the commerce and economic schools you wish to enter backcountrysnow) will be affected at university soon.

While i have great respect for most of Federal Labor's policies thus far, this one i think will come back and bite them in their proverbial behind.

ness.xox said:
Yes, as a matter of fact I was just on the phone asking the UAC the same thing and as for UAI cut offs the standard would be roughly the same as last year's.
They didn't have alot of information on it though.
According to the latest publications from UNSW Faculty of Law (June 2008), UAC are still deciding if dfee places will be made available for law courses (and by extension i would believe, all others) in 2009. In the booklet, they stated that full details will be available in August, so there is no need to discover all info at this stage.

So instead focus on and best of luck with your trials for the rest of this week nessa :)

Conspirocy

HSC
Seriously why can't we just scrap international students...I know it sounds slack, but really the government should fund the universities and they should be for Australian's. God I sound so racist.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Bobness said:
You do realise that with more places (as you'll need 3 csp to fill 1 dfee place) the quality of education will indefinitely diminish? The funds allocated for the salary of academics (i base this on first-hand hearsay from a professional) will not increase, and unis will find it difficult to pay these hard-working 'public servants'. As a result, there will be larger lecture and tutorial classes and less time allocated for each student (for eg during consultation)
That is a valid point, I was merely saying that because of the increased number of csp positions cutoffs are likely not to rise. However, as someone may have arlready pointed out, the excess positions may be instead be given to internationals.

bobness said:
So instead focus on and best of luck with your trials for the rest of this week nessa :)
Thanks. =]

fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
Perhaps it would benefit you to look at past cut-offs?
how would that help? in the past there were always dfee positions.

Conspirocy said:
Seriously why can't we just scrap international students...I know it sounds slack, but really the government should fund the universities and they should be for Australian's. God I sound so racist.
But then if everyone had that mentality Aussie students wouldn't be able to study overseas if we wanted to. Perhaps further restrict the number of internationals allowed in, but to scrap them is unreasonable.

X

xeuyrawp

Bobness said:
and if Australia can remain competitive in delivering world-class education.
Hahah fuck that's lolworthy. Despite what any survey/research/whatever you'll want to throw at me, Australia has never delivered world-class education.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Hahah fuck that's lolworthy. Despite what any survey/research/whatever you'll want to throw at me, Australia has never delivered world-class education.
Haha i knew someone would nitpick, pwar :uhoh:

I wanted to say something along the lines of "it is now even more difficult for us to deliver world-class education, especially if - arguably so - our academia is already in the pits" but i wanted to be as succinct as possible. And also not to crush the hopes of 08ers. (And i guess also, so i can take more pride in what i may end up doing :))

Rankings are insubstantial backcountrysnow.

X

xeuyrawp

pwaryuex said:
Despite what any survey/research/whatever you'll want to throw at me
BackCountrySnow said:
ANU is ranked 16th on THES...
Want to try again? Or would you not classify the THES as any survey/research?

Bobness said:
Haha i knew someone would nitpick, pwar

I wanted to say something along the lines of "it is now even more difficult for us to deliver world-class education, especially if - arguably so - our academia is already in the pits" but i wanted to be as succinct as possible. And also not to crush the hopes of 08ers. (And i guess also, so i can take more pride in what i may end up doing )

Rankings are insubstantial backcountrysnow.
Meh, the Australian education system is so insular that it's not like there's any real choice for 08ers anyway, other than to go to an Aussie uni.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Bobness said:
Anywho, as a current university student, i am definitely worried about courses in 2009, and if Australia can remain competitive in delivering world-class education. The 08ers have not seen it yet, but some faculties already operate under limited budgets (ie arts) and many others (incl. the commerce and economic schools you wish to enter backcountrysnow) will be affected at university soon.
Too true. The poor UNSW Faculty of Arts isn't fairing too well. It saddens me that niche interest courses are so massively discouraged (/prohibited?) due to the fact that they attract so few students. The odds of my encountering subjects dealing with things as esoteric as modal or paraconsistent logics are thus very slim.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'm still confused as to why it's ok for a non-citizen to pay their way in, but not a local student :/

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Its not, but until unis in australia start becoming exclusive/elitist rather than accepting every dog and their master the business model they've gotten themselves into isn't going to change.

X

xeuyrawp

KFunk said:
Too true. The poor UNSW Faculty of Arts isn't fairing too well. It saddens me that niche interest courses are so massively discouraged (/prohibited?) due to the fact that they attract so few students. The odds of my encountering subjects dealing with things as esoteric as modal or paraconsistent logics are thus very slim.
It only get worse when universities inevitably become more business focussed. Our new head (essentially - although it's not her official title) of undergrad has decided that subjects which have anything greater than a once per two years rotation should be axed, along with anything that has less than eight students in that two year rotation.

Does really well for Egyptology, which has heaps of units rotated every three or so years, with only something like 4-8 students each time it's offered. It's so stupid, though, because you could argue that so-called "Centres of Excellence" like that which get huge amounts of ARC funding serve a business purpose in promoting the strength of the university. Many times have I been promoting the uni, and people who are completely uninterested in Egyptology are impressed with the work that Macquarie does.

Anyway, it's all going to hell soon, and departments which don't have huge lines of students end up having to seek funding from elsewhere.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)