Question About Pilot - Engineering Degree or Flight Experience? (1 Viewer)

alan7948

HSC
Hi All,

Im looking in the future to become a commercial pilot and i was wondering if it is better to undertake an Engineering Degree (Aeronautical) or actually spend money into gaining and upping flight experience/hours? This is for becoming a cadet under any commercial airliner...

Pretty much what i want to ask is which option (ie Engineering Degree or Flight Exp) would increase my chances of getting a cadetship?

I have had many differing views and opinions and i would like to clear this up.

Thanks! =]

Last edited:

idling fire

HSC
I'm doing Aeronautical Eng. at USYD, and I'd have to say go with the flight experience. That said, I have no idea about the process of applying for a cadetship. Just looking at the Qantas website for it, it seems that they have different ones depending on how much flight experience you've had... Qantas careers - Pilots ... I don't know what other airlines do.

Wastrel

HSC
N/A
I have had many differing views and opinions and i would like to clear this up.
I currently work in aviation (not as a pilot) and this is an endlessly debated topic which won't get cleared up any time soon. :jedi:

If you have a look in the search function of D&G, which is the Australian section at pprune.org (a big aviation forum) there are a lot of opinions available from people who work in aviation as pilots and managers.

Don't post the direct question without searching first or you may get flamed, it's been discussed there a lot already.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)