• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Question about related texts and Ted Hughes Poetry (not suggestions) (1 Viewer)

samopperman11

HSC
Hi guys,
so for my Ted Hughes essay I have used as a related Plath's Ariel anthology, and have been linking the individual poems with Hughes' poems etc. If I have done that, do I still need to include another related text, which isn't actually related at all? What I mean by that is, I've read past essays where people have used say the Atonement as well, and discussed how perspectives in that conflict but not conflicting it with Hughes' poetry (obviously because it has nothing to do with it...) Should I be doing this, or is it better to learn texts which directly conflict with Hughes' poems? I was thinking of learning the film Sylvia and relating that to the poems but I'm not sure.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
You know the point of conflicting perspectives is not to focus on the perspectives in conflict, i.e. Hughes' perspective on their marriage vs Plath's perspective on their marriage, but to focus on WHY perspectives do conflict with each other, and how a composer can manipulate their text in ways that compel readers to believing a certain perspective. You should be able to find conflicting perspectives within Hughes's poems themselves, not on their relationship, but on how his own perspective is in conflict, e.g. in Fulbright, his memory is constantly challenged with his incessant aporias which gives rise to the an atmosphere of uncertainty and the question "how trustworthy is his memory?" You can also discuss how through gained knowledge and experiences, perspectives can change when reflecting in hindsight, again using Fulbright as an example, "Noted your long hair, loose waves -/ Your Veronica Lake Bang. Not what it hid."

You need to be able to look at the poems without any context of the Hughes/Plath relationship and be able to find conflict with solely what he's saying by examining his language choices and representations. An individual can NEVER gain a totalised/objective perspective on an event, situation or personality because it will inevitably be influenced by certain things like bias, personal understandings, personal knowledge, personal experiences, PERSONAL PERSONAL PERSONAL. You must analyse the inconsistencies with his poems and anything that could remotely look like his perspective is subjectively in conflict with another. Explicit conflicting perspectives are worth mentioning, like their conflicting perspectives on their marriage, but they shouldn't be driving your essay. If you are using Plath's Arial as a related, you will need to get a second related to show that you understand the module. Do NOT use the movie Sylvia because that just shows your knowledge of the module does not extend passed the Hughes/Plath relationship. If the question is on "ONE" related only, use a related that has nothing to do with Hughes's poetry, preferably a different text type. You should be analysing the malleable nature of perspectives and representations within texts and why that causes conflict, don't focus on the Hughes/Plath relationship solely. I use Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bernhard Schlink's The Reader as relateds. One's a movie and the other a novel. The idea is that you analyse the different techniques composers implore in the text type to coerce audiences into believing a certain perspective, e.g. poems - poetic techniques, novels - literary techniques, movies/films - filmic techniques such as camera shots, shadowing, lighting, etc.

Sorry if this seems aggressive, I know that the exam is in a week, but I'm just trying to help out here :)

Last edited:

sdhrt

HSC
You know the point of conflicting perspectives is not to focus on the perspectives in conflict, i.e. Hughes' perspective on their marriage vs Plath's perspective on their marriage, but to focus on WHY perspectives do conflict with each other, and how a composer can manipulate their text in ways that compel readers to believing a certain perspective. You should be able to find conflicting perspectives within Hughes's poems themselves, not on their relationship, but on how his own perspective is in conflict, e.g. in Fulbright, his memory is constantly challenged with his incessant aporias which gives rise to the an atmosphere of uncertainty and the question "how trustworthy is his memory?" You can also discuss how through gained knowledge and experiences, perspectives can change when reflecting in hindsight, again using Fulbright as an example, "Noted your long hair, loose waves -/ Your Veronica Lake Bang. Not what it hid."

You need to be able to look at the poems without any context of the Hughes/Plath relationship and be able to find conflict with solely what he's saying by examining his language choices and representations. An individual can NEVER gain a totalised/objective perspective on an event, situation or personality because it will inevitably be influenced by certain things like bias, personal understandings, personal knowledge, personal experiences, PERSONAL PERSONAL PERSONAL. You must analyse the inconsistencies with his poems and anything that could remotely look like his perspective is subjectively in conflict with another. Explicit conflicting perspectives are worth mentioning, like their conflicting perspectives on their marriage, but they shouldn't be driving your essay. If you are using Plath's Arial as a related, you will need to get a second related to show that you understand the module. Do NOT use the movie Sylvia because that just shows your knowledge of the module does not extend passed the Hughes/Plath relationship. If the question is on "ONE" related only, use a related that has nothing to do with Hughes's poetry, preferably a different text type. You should be analysing the malleable nature of perspectives and representations within texts and why that causes conflict, don't focus on the Hughes/Plath relationship solely. I use Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 and Bernhard Schlink's The Reader as relateds. One's a movie and the other a novel. The idea is that you analyse the different techniques composers implore in the text type to coerce audiences into believing a certain perspective, e.g. poems - poetic techniques, novels - literary techniques, movies/films - filmic techniques such as camera shots, shadowing, lighting, etc.

Sorry if this seems aggressive, I know that the exam is in a week, but I'm just trying to help out here :)
fuck off corbett

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)