Question about Science/Education (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
It seems that only a certain bunch of courses in the Science handbook can be taken with this course. I would imagine that the ones I can take are the ones that a standard Science degree has, but I have to do chemistry/physics to do it properly. Any idea if this is correct or not?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
You can major in any area of Science in your B Science part. It's just like a normal B Science degree as long as you do the core subjects and complete the requirement for that major. You can major in Chem or Physics. What seems to be the problem?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
No problem anymore, thanks a lot. It seems I've merely got to do one that relates to one of the BOS areas, which is essentially everything offered in the BScience degree.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I have a problem :S

I want to major in Mathematics, and have already done MATH 1151 as part of a different degree.

I wanted to do MATH1131 anyway, but it turns out I'm not allowed, so it looks like I'll just do 18 UOC in the first semester instead of 24 (18UOC is still considered full time right?)

So.... first semester I should enroll in discrete MATH1081, omit MATH1131 because I've got exemptions from it, and do MATH1231 in 2nd semester.... that's all the maths subjects required for a major in Mathematics in the first stage.

For Education, I guess I'd do EDST1101 in first semester, but that only gives me 12UOC... what other subject should I be doing?

I know I'm rambling on a bit, should I just go visit the relevant school and ask them?

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
You must complete a major in Science or mathematics for BSc and a major in Education consisting of Educational Theory and Teaching Methods for BEd.

You are best off contacting the School of Education for further information. The rules aren't that simple. If you want to become a science teacher or graduate in natural sciences (not mathematics) you need to complete a Science major, 12UOC in level 1 of another teaching discipline, 12UOC in level 1 chem or phys and 6UOC of each teaching discipline. The 5 teaching disciplines are biology, chemistry, physics, earth and environmental, and mathematics.

So in response to your original question, you must complete at least 2 subjects (12UOC) in level 1 chem or physics, regardless of your major.

Bigandy88

HSC
what subjects should i chose for wanting to become mathematics teacher

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I'm doing BSc/BEd, majoring in Mathematics for the science component with the aim of becoming a maths teacher.

Damn.... looks like I'm in the minority ;)

So it looks like for S1, I'll do MATH1081, EDST1101, and COMP1081, just to get the 6 UOC of computing courses out of the way.

That's only 18 UOC, but that is still considered full time right? I don't have to do MATH1131 because I've already done MATH1151, so can I get away with just doing 18 UOC in a semester?

Edit: God damnit.... my reason for only wanting to do 18 UOC in S1 is so I can work and earn money to pay my freaking rent..... and there is no way I can arrange those three courses so I get even ONE weekday off.

Last edited:

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Also, while I'm in a question-asking mood, would there be any problems if someone did MATH1151, then MATH1231 rather than MATH1251, apart from the obvious problem of learning Matlab and swapping to Maple? :p

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
Yeah, I've done all of the ones you mentioned in 1141, and 2/4 that you mentioned for 1241, so I should be ok.

BillyMak

Silent majority
HSC
I think I'll just go with the 18 UOC, even though I know I'll probably regret it down the track.

The three subjects EDST1101, COMP1081 and MATH1081 manage to stretch themselves over FIVE days, and each subject has it's lectures on one line only, so there's absolutely nothing I can do about it.

Realistically I'd like to do 24 UOC and not care about how much time I have off, but I'm going to be pretty stripped for cash this semester, and unfortunately the rent isn't going to pay itself ;)

Edit: hmm.... looks like I could arrange Friday so it only has one EDST lecture on it, I suppose it could be skipped so I could work one day a week :)

Last edited:

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
BillyMak said:
Also, while I'm in a question-asking mood, would there be any problems if someone did MATH1151, then MATH1231 rather than MATH1251, apart from the obvious problem of learning Matlab and swapping to Maple? :p
Shouldn't have a problem. You might possibly have a problem with the online enrolment system saying you haven't met the prerequisite, but speak to the maths department and you'll be fine.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
For those of you doing a Science/Education program, the education faculty, specifically Dr. Paul Ayres gave me this helpful little table. If everyone's seen it, then I'm a fool, if not, it could prove useful. Unless you're doing a maths major in which case it's useless and I'm sorry for wasting your time...

Clickity

There are a few mistakes scattered about here and there. The one for me was in the first year bio/geo table. If you wish to do a physical geography major, ensure that you move the 2CHEM/PHYS to year 2 and do a maths unit and a geoh unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)