• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

question about Sky High (2 Viewers)

joelly

hello everyone,
i have a question about Sky High but it is hard to explain... i think anyway.

Does anyone think that story could possibly be a metaphor for something else? like something about when she was young, and now she is old? that probly doesnt make any sense but if anyone knows what im talking about can they put it in simple terms for me??

Thanks heaps!

bails

Metaphor for the process of changing physically, emotionally in the process of growing older is all i can think of. Ur not goin to try make it harder for yourself are you? :) simplistic = easy. just tell them what u no & use techniques and all is good!

Winston

HSC
it's not could it possibly, it is.
it's about a young girl reminiscing her child hood times, and how she misses it, when she was free, and when her favourite washing line was much of a quest to reach to the top of, and also the feeling of nostalgic.

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
i know what you mean and i hav thought about it myself and come up with a few idea... BUT they're to quintessential and i dont see the need to delve into such detail for 'simple' texts, such as sky high.
frankly i agree that it is best to keep it simple and discuss the main ideas of change in so far as child --> adult, emotional, mentally, physically etc

good luck

bec

...Robert allows the reader to engage in a childhood memory experienced by the author, utilizing poetic techniques employed to complement the nostalgic subject matter (as in she looks fondly back on her childhood).
The comparisons within the text elevate the significance of differences in both a childs life and that of an adults (responsibilty and perspective change as maturity is obtained).
The only aspect of the work that is referred to metaphorically is the washing line and its washing, this is used as an anchor or the pivotal point of her memory, all the rest of the back yard is seen literally by the author. If u think about the quote at the end "there are too many things tying me to the ground" you can tell the clothes line is a metaphor used for her new - found maturity but desire for childhood and simplistic ways. I hope that helps you... couldnt tell if it made sense or not. Good luck in the HSC

tempco

HSC
What is she referring to when she says: "I now write my own semaphore secrets in colourful tshirts and mismatched socks."? I'm not sure myself, but does that highlight her new responsibilities of child-bearing and motherhood?

Or is it referring to her views of the washing that her parents used to hang up, with her not knowing what exactly it was for?

lm1122

HSC
I think it symbolises her new belonging in the adult world. It is symbolic of how she is now one of 'them', something that she found entertainment in as a child now represents responsability... i dont know...

numg

HSC
It shows her change in perspective from a child looking up at the mysterious washing, to an adult who puts up their own washing. To me it shows how in growing up, she has lost the mysterious magicalness of her childhood perspective.

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by lm1122
It is symbolic of how she is now one of 'them',
Sounds like the Borg... >_<

Well, I see your point.. her change from thoughtless childhood to the responsibilities of adulthood. But why would she refer to the washing in the point of view of the child? I guess the colours/patterns would attract the child's attention... but that paragraph was the older her talking... I'm confused...

~TeLEpAtHeTiC~

Aesthetically Challenged
HSC
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
What is she referring to when she says: "I now write my own semaphore secrets in colourful tshirts and mismatched socks."? I'm not sure myself, but does that highlight her new responsibilities of child-bearing and motherhood?

Or is it referring to her views of the washing that her parents used to hang up, with her not knowing what exactly it was for?
semophore refers to the communicational technique in which coloured flags are used to represent the alphabet, these are predominantly used on marine vessels although this form of communication has become outdated..
what she refers to as semophore secrets as an adults as i interpret it means that -- now she write her own future, as an adult she has resposibilities that must be catered for and so allows for her to make choices into how she wants to go about doing things -- ok now i am kinda waffling cause i can't think of the right words but hopefully u understand
this oppsed to her childhood where her semophore secrets were perhaps 'written' by her parents as they dictates her choices and her life.

or we could take a more physical look at it as in b4 she watched as the mismatched socks and colourful tshirts were hung up, whereas now she has the power, responsibility to do this herself, she can now right her own 'semophore secrets' on her own washing line..

hmmm i like my first interpretation better i just wish i could put them into beter words, but i guess thats what you get when u hav been awake since 12 noon yesterday *sigh

kieransgirl

hmmm ok she uses the childhood language as she is remembering and missing her childhood innocence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)