Question About Subject Exemptions (1 Viewer)

BeyondDeath

HSC
I would like an explanation of what I have to do to get exemptions coz I transferred from UWS and would NOT like to redo some of the subjects again if I can avoid it. I know there is a sheet available online, but do I fill it in and hand it on orientation day or something? I'm asking this coz I absolutely dont want to stuff anything up and end up having to do everything again. Any help is appreciated :headbang:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
If i remember correctly, when i transferred from UNSW Science to UTS forensic science, i only got 1 subject exempted. Basically what i had to do was bring the academic transcript from the uni i previously attended to make sure you passed the subject and then the subject coordinator will fill out the rest.
You could do it yourself if you say there is a sheet available online, and then at orientation day, hand it in when you do the enrolment.

BeyondDeath

HSC
Academic transcript? Where do you get that? Also, is it possible that they refuse to give you an exemption based on your marks and stuff? Like do they have a minimum standard or do they just grant you an exemption as long as you passed the subject?

EDIT: UWS just releases marks online. Can I just print it out or do they need something more professional?

Last edited:

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
I think you will have to contact the UWS people and ask them if you could order a transcript. You have to pay though and according to the UWS website, its $20.
They probably give you an exemption as long as you passed the subject, and also to see whether the subject you completed at UWS is similar in terms of course structure to the subject that you want exemption from at UTS. Maybe its best to contact your UTS course coordinator and see what he/she says.

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
id rather pay $20 for an academic transcript than waste $800 and half a year on a subject that couldve been exempted though

BeyondDeath

HSC
True that.

I emailed them on whether I should get the official transcript or if I can just print the results out. Lets see what theyll say...

Last edited:

BeyondDeath

HSC
Ok so I've dished out 20$ and got the transcript and on the list of things to bring in for the exemption, it says you also need the relevant course outline for the subjects you want to get exempted in. Now I cant for the life of me find the outlines, I may have thrown them out somewhere along the way, and I cant find them online. Are the outlines absolutely necessary? Help coz I'm going for enrollment tomorrow!

Edit: Nevermind, I found them on their library website.

Last edited:

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Ok so I've dished out 20$ and got the transcript and on the list of things to bring in for the exemption, it says you also need the relevant course outline for the subjects you want to get exempted in. Now I cant for the life of me find the outlines, I may have thrown them out somewhere along the way, and I cant find them online. Are the outlines absolutely necessary? Help coz I'm going for enrollment tomorrow!

Edit: Nevermind, I found them on their library website.
The rest is garbage! just bring your transcript. I was confused aswell, i just took my transcript and it all was sorted out. Just have a read on the UTS:Handbook, so that you can negotiate and know what your talking about if they don't exempt and stuff like that. Good to have some background knowledge.

maka

HSC
Take your academic transcript and any course outlines.

As the UWS transfer to UTS is quite common, they will most likely have a list of approved subject exemptions.

BeyondDeath

HSC
Ok so I've submitted my exemption form last Friday during enrolment and they told me it will take around 2 weeks to process it, but uni's starting next week. Do I just attend my first year subjects that I'm currently enrolled in until they tell me I can switch over?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Yeah just attend them just incase and wait for the verdict =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)