Question about the maths involved in Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
If they don't offer general more people will drop maths than do 2U imo.
General Maths absolutely has a place in the HSC for students who want some background in it, but dont really need maths going forward for university.

leehuan

HSC
General Maths absolutely has a place in the HSC for students who want some background in it, but dont really need maths going forward for university.
I'm more or less saying, given how the general population even views maths most will elect to ditch rather than attempt harder, if the above posts were true. That is, they scrapped general.

mreditor16

HSC
Speaking from my own experience of actuarial studies and drawing upon the feedback I receive from my peers, I have got to say I completely agree with motaba's post, 100%! Couldn't have said it better! (Y)

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I agree with Drongoski. I'm confused about why Universities in NSW allow any student to do a course without certain prerequisites into the course, and only assumed knowledge. Actuarial Studies, a person without any knowledge of Maths SHOULDN'T be accepted into it. Engineering. The SOLE reason why the dropout rate is so HIGH is because people don't have the capability to do Maths at Uni, when it is assumed knowledge at HS.
As I have suggested many times: The universities deliberately dropped the subjects and the minimum grade achieved as prerequisites so that they are then free to enrol even students they know shouldn't be admitted. Why? Because they need the enrolment. More students mean more fees and more fees mean they have the required funds to run their programmes. 50 and more years ago, it was standard practice to list, for many courses what the prerequisites and minimum high school subject grades should be; e.g. if you want to do Electrical Engineering, you need to have successfully completed to credit or better, your Physics and higher level maths. Long ago, if you were required to complete 3 subjects in your 2nd year,say, then if you passed 2 but failed one, and failed that again in your supplementary exam, you have to repeat your whole 2nd year, including those you passed before. (I'm not saying this is a good policy, but things were tough then). There were no such nonsense as the ATAR - which has skewed many a decision in subject choices.

Recently, USyd announced a re-introduction of Maths prerequisites for 62 courses effective 2019. And a spokesperson from UNSW indicated it was looking into this.

PS
Amended, thanks to leehuan.

Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
As I have suggested many times: The universities deliberately dropped the subjects and the minimum grade achieved as prerequisites so that they are then free to enrol even students they know shouldn't be admitted. Why? Because they need the money. More students mean more fees and more fees mean they have the required funds to be happy. 50 and more years ago, it was standard practice to list, for many courses what the prerequisites and minimum high school subject grades should be; e.g. if you want to do Electrical Engineering, you need to have successfully completed to credit or better, your Physics and higher level maths. Long ago, if you were required to complete 3 subjects in your 2nd year,say, then if you passed 2 but failed one, and failed that again in your supplementary exam, you have to repeat your whole 2nd year, including those you passed before. (I'm not saying this is a good policy, but things were tough then). There were no such nonsense as the ATAR - which has skewed many a decision in subject choices.

Recently, USyd and UNSW have announced a re-introduction of Maths prerequisites in certain courses, where maths is pertinent.
Ftfy

Also when did UNSW announce maths "prerequisites"?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)