Question about UNI's (1 Viewer)

tomn8r

HSC
Hii All
I'm not sure exactly what I want to do at uni, BUT I'm in love with the Bach of Communication course at Newcastle.

The bach of media (journalisum and comms) at UNSW
and the Bach of Communication at UQ seem to have much less a practicle element in the course. is this the case?
What would be the better course to do, and are they really comparable.
I like the Bach of Arts (comms and media) I THINK thats what its called at Syd but I didnt get a UAI high enough for it.

I guess Im very interested in organising things, film/adverisitng/screen, writing and public relations sort of stuff. My uai was 87.1

What are your thoughts on these courses and what do you think I should do? If anyone else is heading down the same path let me know!

Last edited:

piitb

HSC
and yes you do get your head flushed down the toilet on the first day!!! :D

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
tomn8r said:
I guess Im very interested in organising things, film/adverisitng/screen, writing and public relations sort of stuff.
Are you talking about the kind of work that a producer does?

tomn8r

HSC
Yes, and other things. You see I'm very undecided about an actual career path. I like making films but I'm also broadly interested in the whole P.R/Marketing/Advertising thing. Many of the Communication degrees seem to combine both these areas.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
If you are interested in making films, there's only one place to go - AFTRS. If you wanted to study producing, the place to be is both the AFTRS and VCA in Melbourne. PR/marketing/advertising are very different fields and very different degrees, and there are other places you can go to do get a good education in those areas. If you were to try and find a course that attempts to combine all of these, it's likely to be at a very mediocre institution, which would be a shame really. If you want the best, you have to choose what you want to focus on and go to the institutions that can best give you what you're looking for.

tomn8r

HSC
Then perhaps someone could clarify what a communication degrees purpose is then.

HSC
tomn8r said:
Then perhaps someone could clarify what a communication degrees purpose is then.
Community Relations
PR & Publicity
Marketing Communications
Corporate Affairs and Issues Management
Govt + Public regulatory affairs
Internal Communications
Investor Relations
Media Relations
Account Management - Advertising
Creative serves - Advertising
Journalism
Media Liasons
Copywriting

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
tomn8r said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across so obtuse before.

I was trying to say, if you are interested in filmmaking and/or film&tv producing, you could gain immeasurably more at a dedicated film&tv institution like AFTRS and VCA. When I say 'more' I mean in terms of resources, experience, industry connections and networking.

If you're interested in advertising/PR then you will gain more from the communications degree.

Marketing is normally taught via a commerce/business degree.

tomn8r

HSC
RogueAcademic said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to come across so obtuse before.

I was trying to say, if you are interested in filmmaking and/or film&tv producing, you could gain immeasurably more at a dedicated film&tv institution like AFTRS and VCA. When I say 'more' I mean in terms of resources, experience, industry connections and networking.

If you're interested in advertising/PR then you will gain more from the communications degree.

Marketing is normally taught via a commerce/business degree.
ahhh...
decisions....

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
PRIA Accredited degrees:

Development - Public Relations Institute of Australia

As for communication, depending on where you go, it'll either be a case of journalism as communication, a mix of media theory with some practical as communication, or a practical course with a bit of theory communication.

If you want to produce and shit, like someone has said AFTRS is quite good, but if you want to learn a wider range of skills, the various courses at COFA (UNSW) relating to media/communication/digital production, or the UTS Visual Communication ones are probably the best bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)