Question about word counts (1 Viewer)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Mainly because I'm scared about going over and I'm hauling hiney to get this stuff in to my teacher - do they count words like "a", "and", "the" etc. in the word limit? My log is a bit over, which is my main concern.

Spanks in advance :D

T

Testpilot

Most teachers allow a plus or minus 5-10% of the max and min word counts. Therefore if the max word count is 6000 for example you could get away with between 5700 and 6300 words. However if you're unsure and if it is for the Pip which is a large assessment task, ask your teacher.

heathen72

HSC
N/A
Best make certain that the marking criteria says something about word count. If it doesn't, you're safe because only what's in the criteria can be marked

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
One fantastic way to help cut the fluff from something is to use a feature in Microsoft Word that picks out essential text.

Go to the TOOLS menu then choose Autosummarise.

This is a great way to make summaries of your text as well.

To cut down text, choose the "Highligfht Key Points" option and then set your percentage. So, if you are 20% over the word limit, set the summary percentage to about 80% and hit OK.

Then you can review what the computer thinks is essential and cut, edit and so on to get the word limit down. This is a great tool and helped me cut 7500 words down to 5000 for a Uni essay and made it a tighter, more specific essay without the unnecessary fluff.

Hope this helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)