• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question??? Can you change campuses? (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, I was looking at my preferences and I noticed that last year the course I want to do at Parramatta is also avaliable at Campbelltown and last year the Campbelltown course had a few spare places, if I were to get a place at Campbelltown could I transfer to the Parramatta campus after a year???

Jonathan A

HSC
You can. It depends though. Parramatta has limited spots and campbelltown generally doesn't. If you wanted to do a law elective only offered at C/Town, that would be fine by the law school, however if it was offered at Parra, you would need approval. Generally there is no reason why you can't move around campuses.

L

LaraB

Mel - keep in mind that often they'll say for combined law courses its offered at parra/campbelltown - but in fact its parra+bankstown or penrith or whatever - the campus refers to the 'law' campus you'll be at - the other half of your degree may be elsewhere

as far as changing campuses - it depends - if UAI entries are different for different campuses they may not let you transfer from a lower UAI entry one to a higher UAI entry campus coz logically that's kinda unfair coz it's like you're getting accepted in someone elses place at that campus since UAC are screwy and accept 2 'groups' for the 2 campuses.

It will be easier to transfer campus after you've been at uni for a semester for eg coz all that uai stuff becomes kinda irrelevant.. but if you wanna do it like in the first week or so you may have to get permission and they can refuse coz they only admit the number of people that the lecturers/facilities can cope with at each campus and at 1st, generally everyone turns up lol but later in the semester when they don't its much less of a prolbem:)

EDIT: also mel - the same units are not offered at the different campuses each semester - eg have a look on the website at the 'map' of the order of units - certain years, campbelltown will offer in semestre 1 units offered in semester 2 at parra so you can't just swap back and forth

Last edited by a moderator:

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah my other units I think will be at Bankstown, last year the UAI was the same only Campbelltown had spaces after main round. I thought that problem might arise as one sem they do a topic and then it is done at the next semester at the other campus...I didnt mean transfer after a week...6 months would work due to the units but what about after a year?

Its just another option on my list of plan b's

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
Yeah my other units I think will be at Bankstown, last year the UAI was the same only Campbelltown had spaces after main round. I thought that problem might arise as one sem they do a topic and then it is done at the next semester at the other campus...I didnt mean transfer after a week...6 months would work due to the units but what about after a year?

Its just another option on my list of plan b's

MEL COME TO PARRAMATTA!!!!

lol

AFter 6 months shouldn't be a problem.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I want to come to Parramatta, its getting the UAI thats the problem, I'd much prefer the 15mins which would take me to drive from Stratty to parra than the 50 mins at least for Campbelltown. How does it take you to get to Parra and Bankstown...according to where is, its 15 to parra 23 to Bankstown :rolleyes:

I promise I'll try and come to Parra I promise

Last edited:

klh

HSC
you are able to transfer campuses, most probably via UAC again as there are limited places at Parramatta and the internal transfer system will not allow it, so its up to the external (UAC) system. susally if you want to transfer to another campus, the internal forms are fine, its Parramatta.
Also, after that you will then have to submit a academic credit form too.
Some people will enrol at Parramatta in units that they know are not full so that there are places so they can get in, even though its technically not allowed. Im not sure if law units are usually full or not at parra, but it most likely will be if its a popular unit.

hope it helps.

edit: it may be possible for a internal trasnfer...i remeber it stating clearly that you arent allwoed to trasnfer to Parra but nows its gone frolm the form or policy...

Last edited:
L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
uai entries are the same everywhere now, they thought it was stupid to have a different entry for the same course at the same uni.
they may not be though - UAI isn't set... it's supply and demand... if no one applies for campbelltown this year and hundreds apply for parra, parra is likely to be higher than campbelltown..

if you go thru UAC u apply for the campus and course, not the 'course' so UAI's aren't always the same at all campuses - just happened to b for a lot last year

they don't i guess... 'fix' UAI except for things that are fixed at 60 coz of DET recommendations

L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
Nah the UAI entrance was being set by the uni, they decided against doing that.
- From one of the more frank/honest lecturerers.
if u say so.. its still has a supply/demand aspect tho - eg they have to set it, if they do, at a point where it attracts the 'right' students.....

if they 'set' it at 90, if the last person accepted into the course has a UAI of 91 at parra, but 93 at campbelltown, logically, the cut off isn't 90 - so whether it is on paper or not, in reality the cut offs are 91 at parra and 93 at campbelltown so set or not, they have a limited numebr of places in each course so the real 'cut off' is the lowest UAI of the last student, not necessarily what the unit 'sets'...

its exactly the same as how Usyd has a cut off for full fee paying students, or so they so on paper to make it looks 'better' i suppose coz there's no other reason for it, of - 96.15 but a girl i worked with got 94 something but still got in on fee paying even though officially the 'cut off' was higher......

Last edited by a moderator:

Kally17

HSC
melsc said:
Ok, I was looking at my preferences and I noticed that last year the course I want to do at Parramatta is also avaliable at Campbelltown and last year the Campbelltown course had a few spare places, if I were to get a place at Campbelltown could I transfer to the Parramatta campus after a year???
I had a friend who transferred courses. If you receive a place at Campbelltown, as long as you complete at least one semester at that campus and there is room in the course at another campus, you can apply for the Guaranteed course transfer, the catch being you have to have an above 5 GPA. Otherwise you have to apply through UAC where they assess you on a mixture of things like your HSC, post secondary studies, work experience and the STAT test. Hope that helps! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)