question concerning everybody (1 Viewer)

redherring

HSC
i just did an assessment and the first question was to identify (recognise and name) statistics.
i did that, but the teacher said i lost marks because i didn't explain them! what the hell, that wasn't the question. before doing it, i even looked up in the verb list- what identify was, but the teacher wouldn't give me the marks that they unfairly took off.
also, the marking guidelines said identify as well.

i was just wondering if you guys think this is unfair and if it has ever happened to you?

G

gaoOO

redherring said:
i just did an assessment and the first question was to identify (recognise and name) statistics.
i did that, but the teacher said i lost marks because i didn't explain them! what the hell, that wasn't the question. before doing it, i even looked up in the verb list- what identify was, but the teacher wouldn't give me the marks that they unfairly took off.

i was just wondering if you guys think this is unfair and if it has ever happened to you?
that has never happened to me before. Usually when the question says IDENTIFY, we are marked according to basic dot points required by the question.

dr baby beanie

*is so happeeeeee!!!*
HSC
Identify: Recognise and Name.

Maybe the 'recognise' part might mean a minor explanation. I would definitely bring it to your teacher's attention and discuss it. Better you learn now than get it wrong in the HSC.

This has never happened to me but I've had physics test (by slightly dodgy teacher) who put in questions with formulae we had never learnt and that wasn't on the data sheet. Also on another question I got one part of it wrong so I lost a mark there (fair enough) then I lost MORE marks coz I used my wrong answer for the next. In the HSC this doesn't happen if u get something wrong then use it right in the second part you still get the marks. DON'T U? The tests are so dodgy that every time we have a tests and after we get them back and go through them, practically the whole class lines up to question why they didn't get the marks for certain things. Feeling so pedantic about physics now.

G

gaoOO

dr baby beanie said:
IAlso on another question I got one part of it wrong so I lost a mark there (fair enough) then I lost MORE marks coz I used my wrong answer for the next.
that shouldn't happen. The mistake should be carried on for the remainder of the section where questions are related. i would argue against that.

HSC
redherring said:

i'd go to your head teacher and discuss it with them.

dr baby beanie said:
Also on another question I got one part of it wrong so I lost a mark there (fair enough) then I lost MORE marks coz I used my wrong answer for the next. In the HSC this doesn't happen if u get something wrong then use it right in the second part you still get the marks. DON'T U?
IF the next part of the question was worth more than one mark, and IF you used the right formula, just the wrong value put in, then yes, you SHOULD get the marks.

Last edited:

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
This concerns me how? :p

If I was you I would go to your head teacher and discuss it maybe even compare what you did to what other students did and still got marks for it. Depending on how many marks the question was would depend on if your answer was also right as in it might of been 1 to identify and 2 to explain, 3 marks per term then you should of at least got 1 or .5 marks.

G

gaoOO

pritnep said:
This concerns me how? :p

If I was you I would go to your head teacher and discuss it maybe even compare what you did to what other students did and still got marks for it. Depending on how many marks the question was would depend on if your answer was also right as in it might of been 1 to identify and 2 to explain, 3 marks per term then you should of at least got 1 or .5 marks.
regardless of that, the fact that the question said IDENTIFY means that anyone who identified key points should get full marks.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
But clearly if say there are 3 terms to identify however 6 marks then in that situation in would mean you would need to identify and example. Without knowing the marking guidelines it is hard to comment on what I would do in that situation.

G

gaoOO

pritnep said:
But clearly if say there are 3 terms to identify however 6 marks then in that situation in would mean you would need to identify and example. Without knowing the marking guidelines it is hard to comment on what I would do in that situation.
if it said "identify" for 6 marks, i would have given 6 points. If it was "explain" i would say three with a bit of expanding on each.

It would depend on how the question was worded exactly, and maybe also the subject.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
does identify and outline mean the same thing?
Not quite. To 'identify' something means you need to recognise and name it, while to 'outline' something means you need to give a brief description as well.

I_F

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Ask other people in your class about what they put and the marks they received. I find this to be an effective way of arguing for more marks.

redherring

HSC
pritnep said:
actually, the section was only worth 3 marks, so i drew up three tables and wrote a 1 page summary- where i identified and suggested reasons for the trends in the statistics.
i got .5/3, which is the lamest thing i've ever heard.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Well in that case then what you did should of been fine. So I guess you have every right to take it up with someone. However it is pretty unlikely you will get more marks and if you do depending on the teacher might damage your relationship with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)