Question - Didnt make course. (1 Viewer)

Satori

HSC
I missed out by my most wanted course - Arts at Sydney by 2.25. But number 2, Science at Usyd by 0.25.
That is assuming the score I needed doesnt change.
If that's the case, are there any steps I can take to still try and make one of the courses for next year?
I really don't know how the system works so I don't know if I have any options.

kow_dude

HSC
Don't be disheartened by last year's cut-offs. For example, in 2003 the cut-off for pharmacy was like 97ish and it had dropped significantly the year after. I didn't think i would make into pharmacy and so didn't do the STAT test, but i would have made it in if i did it. So yea, there's still chance for you to make in the desired courses.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Satori said:
I missed out by my most wanted course - Arts at Sydney by 2.25. But number 2, Science at Usyd by 0.25.
That is assuming the score I needed doesnt change.
If that's the case, are there any steps I can take to still try and make one of the courses for next year?
I really don't know how the system works so I don't know if I have any options.
There most definitely is. For one there are transfers - its most likely you could make the cutoff for BArtsandSciences and take the same units in first year as you would in BArts then transfer into your second year with full credit.

Alternatively, you could take these courses at another uni that has a lower cut-off, perhaps UNSW or UWS or Open Education? And then transfer to USYD for your second year. I know these might not be your ideal choices but they're still pretty good.

Satori

HSC
How hard is it to transfer from a uni with a lower cut-off like UNSW to a higher one?
And at what point can it be done? End of each semester? year? ?

manifestation

What?!
HSC
I don't know how useful this is, but Usyd offers B Arts and Sciences with a UAI of 75.00, where you do a major in Arts and a Science (well that's what i read, and that's what I'm going to do.) So maybe you might want to read up on that.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Satori said:
How hard is it to transfer from a uni with a lower cut-off like UNSW to a higher one?
And at what point can it be done? End of each semester? year? ?
End of year I believe, and it makes no difference what the cutoff of your course is - only your grades from your uni study and your UAI matter for this kind of transfer. Check out the transfer forum for more info, there is a *great* thread stickied in there.

Satori

HSC
manifestation said:
this is the link to the info about the degreee if you want to read more about it
:http://heifer.ucc.usyd.edu.au/ugcou...el=UG&za_a_WebSearch=Arts&-recid=33258&-find=
Thanks for that. I studies the UAC book pretty carefully but somehow completely missed that. I think i'll certainly have to put it onto my preferences list. Would probably be a decent point to transefer to a full Arts or Science course at Sydney too. I think.
*will check out the transfer forum*

HSC
N/A
Not sure whether it's been mentioned yet, but aside from decreased cut-offs (which do happen!) there is transfer from another degree within the university, or even transfer from a whole different university altogether! Depending on which University you want to enter, internal/external transfer can actually be easier. (For example, MQ only requires a GPA of 2.5 to transfer - yes, NO UAI REQUIRED!)

Additionally your Careers Advisor/Principal may be able to make a phone call :) I'm not sure what the exact terminology is, but you can be below the cutoff and still get into the course provided you have someone powerful to support you and say that you're very suitable for the course and would do well in it :)

stryder_au

[ - єsçãpè - ]
HSC
right on with what glitterfairy said.
don't be disheartened... there are ALWAYS OPTIONS!

just to let you know, i know somebody that got a UAI of 85.5 but really wanted to do commerce at usyd (93).. decided to take up commerce at UWS and after a year, transferred to Sydney. if you really want to do your course, you can.

Satori

HSC
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and support. I'll certainly be doing whatever I can.
Do you think it would be better, if I wanted to do Arts at Sydney (2.25 above my currant UAI for 05) whould I be better off applying for the Arts course at UNSW and trying to transfer from that, or going for the 'Arts and Sciences' at Syd and transferring from that? I'm so confused.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Satori said:
Thanks a lot for the suggestions and support. I'll certainly be doing whatever I can.
Do you think it would be better, if I wanted to do Arts at Sydney (2.25 above my currant UAI for 05) whould I be better off applying for the Arts course at UNSW and trying to transfer from that, or going for the 'Arts and Sciences' at Syd and transferring from that? I'm so confused.
The two important things you need to look at are - will I get credit for the units I have done? And are there differences between internal and external transfer that will prevent me entering?

With the first important thing, a BA at UNSW would presumably give you full credit and put you into a second year BA at USYD after transfer - however UNSW has general education unit requirements and it might be best to do some looking around to see if they fit into USYD's basic idea of a BA. On the other hand BArts&Sciences requires a legal studies unit or two and you should look up the website and see if those areas are accredited in the USYD BA.

The second important thing shouldn't be a problem for you though, as your score is so close to the BA cutoff already that it shouldnt be a hurdle in external procedures.

So basically the answer is that you should have no problem transferring from either if you do well, and the majority of the units will probably count - you just need to be careful what you pick first year and check the subject handbooks on the uni sites for the rest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)