Question for Actuarial Students (1 Viewer)

Puppylove

HSC
I am being offered a place in UNSW Actuarial Co-op and I'm weighting on the offer.

However there is a question for some Actuarial Graduates: how much do you earn straight out of university and how likely are you to get a job?

Any answer and/or statistics would be hugely appreciated.
[especially personal experiences as that would be most genuine]

Affinity

HSC
1. Fresh graduates earn about the same about as other commerce graduates
2. I haven't heard of a co-op not getting a job upon graduation. whereas for others it might be a bit difficult, quoting lecturer sachi in his first lesson: you should go and ask the third years about job prospects

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
LOL why are all actuaries money orientated

If you want money when you graduate then don't be an actuary. Go be a lawyer.

Affinity

HSC
Wonder why else will induce someone to do a commerce degree... It's a fairly vocational program.

That said, I think actuarial students are not as money orient as accounting/finance majors.

Ofcourse, we all know that business takes alot more than the piece of paper you get after 3-5 years here.

lawforever

HSC
Affinity said:
you should go and ask the third years about job prospects
Apparenly Aus job market is kinda full for actuaries whereas in overseas there is better employment prospect.

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
lawforever said:
Apparenly Aus job market is kinda full for actuaries whereas in overseas there is better employment prospect.
Any country which doesn't have an established Actuarial authority. Such as China.

lawforever

HSC
redslert said:
Any country which doesn't have an established Actuarial authority. Such as China.
China does have actuarial authority like here. It z developing.

AreYouAlright?

Actuarial Co-op 2006
HSC
If you've been given a place in the co-op that really really annoys me that you are asking that question, because shortlisted people like myself who really really really want to do Actuarial Studies are being kept out by people like yourself who just want money. Med or Law would pay better anyway... grr if you don't have an interest in the course why are you considering the scholarship... that should come last.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
AreYouAlright? said:
If you've been given a place in the co-op that really really annoys me that you are asking that question, because shortlisted people like myself who really really really want to do Actuarial Studies are being kept out by people like yourself who just want money. Med or Law would pay better anyway... grr if you don't have an interest in the course why are you considering the scholarship... that should come last.
I feel for you. Unfortunately, its the way the system works. But I agree with you, the original poster has applied and been successful with getting the scholarship, yet he or she is not sure whether to do actuarial studies - it all depends on the money!

You would think those getting the scholarships would all be people who have a passion for that field or are financially disadvantaged etc, but it doesn't appear to be so. And no, I'm not directing this at the original poster in particular.

puppylove: I really suggest amongst other things, that you seriously consider the workload required in Actuarial Studies.

Last edited:

lawforever

HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
I feel for you. Unfortunately, its the way the system works. But I agree with you, the original poster has applied and been successful with getting the scholarship, yet he or she is not sure whether to do actuarial studies - it all depends on the money!

You would think those getting the scholarships would all be people who have a passion for that field or are financially disadvantaged etc, but it doesn't appear to be so. And no, I'm not directing this at the original poster in particular.

puppylove: I really suggest amongst other things, that you seriously consider the workload required in Actuarial Studies.
but is there any people who doesn't want the money doing actuarial /wanting to do actuarial ?

plus I disagree that scholarship should come last. Co-op means money as well as experience hence it s a very very precious privilege.

GoodToGo

HSC
N/A
If you want money I wouldn't go into law...unless you plan to get into USYD or otherwise be at the very top of your class at any other uni with kick-arse extra curriculars and a flawless interviewing technique.

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
lawforever said:
but is there any people who doesn't want the money doing actuarial /wanting to do actuarial ?

plus I disagree that scholarship should come last. Co-op means money as well as experience hence it s a very very precious privilege.
I for one, find actuarial challenging and that keeps me interested. Its not so much the money that made me do actuarial.

I'm not saying don't take the money.. just keep in mind actuarial is not just about the money, you have to work hard to get there, and its not easy.

lawforever

HSC
t-i-m-m-y said:
I for one, find actuarial challenging and that keeps me interested. Its not so much the money that made me do actuarial.

I'm not saying don't take the money.. just keep in mind actuarial is not just about the money, you have to work hard to get there, and its not easy.
That doesn't negate my point. Money is still taken into consideration. You gotta appreciate the opportunity of co-op by studying hard and developing professional ability.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Actuarial isn't just about the money (which isn't as good as in IB). You also have fairly good working hrs (9hrs/day) compared to mgmt consulting and IB.

wanton-wonton

HSC
Okay, here's what was gathered from a third-year Actuarial Studies student from UNSW doing B Comm (Actuarial Studies)/B Science (Maths) who found a job at AMP (I think) mid this year.

Here's what the person said about the job prospects.

"Positions are limited" or something along those lines. In other words, it's not that easy finding a job as an actuary. However, with a Co-op, I'm sure the chances GREATLY increase.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)