question for selective school kids (1 Viewer)

emily_02

HSC
Im just curious but for anyone that goes/went to a selective school (especially the top ranked ones), is there actually anyone that DOESN'T care about studying? As in their parents forced them to sit the entrance test but they don't really want to study themselves?? just asking out of curiousity

I kinda have a bad impression of selective school kids since i went to tutoring at matrix and most of the people in my class were from selective schools and super arrogant and self centred(obvious from the way they talk down to the teacher + ignore people from nonselective schools when it comes to teamwork activities --> aka looking down on them) I know not all selective school kids are like that but if you went to one, were there also a lot of people that were really up themselves and just flex their marks everywhere?? xD

blyatman

HSC
N/A
There will always be kids from any school that don't care about studying. The median ATAR of the top schools is usually very high. However, the average is usually significantly lower. There are still people who get an ATAR in the 70s-80s range, even from James Ruse.

Most selective school kids that I knew who went to the top schools weren't really arrogant - they were pretty normal, just like any other kid. However, there's always bound to be a few overconfident cocky ones. But being super smart doesn't necessarily mean you'd be super arrogant. For e.g. I would classify some of my friends as insanely smart - one who did 4u maths when they were 12yo, and others who went to MIT, Harvard, Cambridge, Princeton etc, another who did 4th year university-level maths in his first year of uni. They were all pretty humble, and didn't brag (though I admit most of them didn't go to a top-tier selective school). Only one of them was super arrogant, and they came from a private school lol.

Kids from selective schools (particularly those on the North Shore) usually go to tuition centers to learn ahead, so if you were to find an arrogant student, you're probably more likely to encounter them there than anywhere else. But overall, I'd say they're that arrogance among selective school students are the exception rather than the norm.

emily_02

HSC
There will always be kids from any school that don't care about studying. The median ATAR of the top schools is usually very high. However, the average is usually significantly lower. There are still people who get an ATAR in the 70s-80s range, even from James Ruse.

Most selective school kids that I knew who went to the top schools weren't really arrogant - they were pretty normal, just like any other kid. However, there's always bound to be a few overconfident cocky ones. But being super smart doesn't necessarily mean you'd be super arrogant. For e.g. I would classify some of my friends as insanely smart - one who did 4u maths when they were 12yo, and others who went to MIT, Harvard, Cambridge, Princeton etc, another who did 4th year university-level maths in his first year of uni. They were all pretty humble, and didn't brag (though I admit most of them didn't go to a top-tier selective school). Only one of them was super arrogant, and they came from a private school lol.

Kids from selective schools (particularly those on the North Shore) usually go to tuition centers to learn ahead, so if you were to find an arrogant student, you're probably more likely to encounter them there than anywhere else. But overall, I'd say they're that arrogance among selective school students are the exception rather than the norm.
ahh i see. it's so hard to believe they'd be people who get 70s-80s in james ruse though :eek:

blyatman

HSC
N/A
ahh i see. it's so hard to believe they'd be people who get 70s-80s in james ruse though :eek:
Remember that the selective test is something you sit at 12yo. A lot changes by the time you're sitting the HSC. You could do well in the selective test and just not give a crap once you hit HS. As the saying goes, past performance is not indicative of future results.

Flop55

HSC
I have a friend who goes to a selective school and she used to be really studious because she was aspiring to get into medicine, but then she realised she didn't really want to do medicine as it was her parents' dream rather than her own and she now wants to do something that requires an ATAR in the 70s so she doesn't really study that much anymore lolol

blyatman

HSC
N/A
I have a friend who goes to a selective school and she used to be really studious because she was aspiring to get into medicine, but then she realised she didn't really want to do medicine as it was her parents' dream rather than her own and she now wants to do something that requires an ATAR in the 70s so she doesn't really study that much anymore lolol
Yeh most people (I'd say >75%) that do med (or law) only do it because they got the mark or because its prestigious (and most of those people will either deny it, or are subconsciously unaware of it).

Good that your friend realised early, otherwise she would've spent 10 year studying to be stuck in a career that she hates. If she doesn't need that high an ATAR to get into her course, then yeh I guess she doesn't need to study that hard for it. Winner winner chicken dinner.

emily_02

HSC
yep i remember that time my tutor made us do a self introduction and literally EVERYONE in the room said they want to do medicine. Although it can be their personal goal or dream job a lot of the times people are influenced by their parent's dreams + temptation of the job being highly prestigious and well paid. Im happy to hear she's realised what she wants to do though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)