Question need solution (1 Viewer)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
gravitational field strength is proportional to inverse of radius squared , so the first graph should look some what like an inverse function...

2nd question, you can use constant = T^2/ R^3... which of course, means you will need radius of the earth...

jyu

HSC
conman said:
Can some one help me to solve this question?
http://img167.imageshack.us/my.php?image=physiceo6.png
(a) Work out the area under the graph from h = 4x10^5 to h = 6x10^5. This give you the work required for each kg of the satellite.

:. total amount of work = area under graph x 800

(b) Use T^2/R^3 = t^2/r^3, where T period and R orbital radius of space shuttle, t period and r orbital radius of satellite

Notes: In using T^2/R^3 = t^2/r^3, the mass of the earth is not required.

T and t can be any unit as long as they are the same, also R and r can be any unit as long as they are the same.

R and r are measured from the centre of the earth, .: you need to know the radius of the earth.

:) :) :wave:

jyu

HSC
xiao1985 said:
gravitational field strength is proportional to inverse of radius squared , so the first graph should look some what like an inverse function...
It appears straight because you are looking at comparatively short distance (a small section of the graph).

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
jyu said:
It appears straight because you are looking at comparatively short distance (a small section of the graph).

oops admittedly...

didn't see the question properly... i mistakenly thought the graph is a graph of GPE vs height...

(i blame it on lack of sleep and excess partying + alcohol)

conman

HSC
jyu said:
(a) Work out the area under the graph from h = 4x10^5 to h = 6x10^5. This give you the work required for each kg of the satellite.

:. total amount of work = area under graph x 800

(b) Use T^2/R^3 = t^2/r^3, where T period and R orbital radius of space shuttle, t period and r orbital radius of satellite

Notes: In using T^2/R^3 = t^2/r^3, the mass of the earth is not required.

T and t can be any unit as long as they are the same, also R and r can be any unit as long as they are the same.

R and r are measured from the centre of the earth, .: you need to know the radius of the earth.

Where u get the formula total amount of work = Area under gaph x 800

I still don't get the relationship between area under the graph and the work required. I though the work done is equal to GPE, but they don't ask u to find GPE. That's reason why I still stuck at this question.:wave:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
work = Force x distance

and gravitational field strength are as indicated... however, that's not the force on the satellite... the force is GFS x mass (ie, 800)

now, force changes as you go up... so what do you do? you integrate under the graph... which means finding the area under the graph...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)