Question: OKE Historical Period syllabus (1 Viewer)

Kao

HSC
What on EARTH is the difference between these three syllabus bits? And if there's a big difference, then what info goes into each one?

Unification of Egypt
Development of the Pharaonic state
Establishment of the capital at Memphis

Sorry if it's obvious, but my teacher really sucked. We were never actually taught anything.

hipPo3

HSC
Kao said:
What on EARTH is the difference between these three syllabus bits? And if there's a big difference, then what info goes into each one?

Unification of Egypt
Development of the Pharaonic state
Establishment of the capital at Memphis

Sorry if it's obvious, but my teacher really sucked. We were never actually taught anything.
unification is only 1st to 2nd dynasty
- so only the Re/horus names and Seth tittles follow the pharaohs
- 1st dynasty is about unficatating upper and lower Egypt and maintaining this
- 2nd dynasty id restablishing unification and maintaining this

Development of the Pharonic state
- im guessing its just how the pharaonic status changed throughout 1st to 6th dynasty
- Dynasty 4: Pharaohs has the tittle as 'Horus'
- Dynasty 5: 'Son of Re'
- Dynasty 6: 'Osiris'
- Also the remember declining power of Pharaohs and the increasing power of individual Nomarchs

Establishing the capital at Memphis
- This was done in then Unification Period by Namer (menes/Scorpion King) in the 1st dynasty
- i guess u could tie this in with Unification...

is that what u were asking for ?

Kao

HSC
You are my favourite person ever :D

With things like unification, how much time should be spent going over the predynastic stuff in an essay? Because I have a whole lot of info about the northward movement of Upper Egypt's culture and military action between the two which contributes towards Egypt being unified. It's relevent, but not technically part of the syllabus...

hipPo3

HSC
Kao said:
You are my favourite person ever :D

With things like unification, how much time should be spent going over the predynastic stuff in an essay? Because I have a whole lot of info about the northward movement of Upper Egypt's culture and military action between the two which contributes towards Egypt being unified. It's relevent, but not technically part of the syllabus...
how much time ? .. its basically just an eglish essay with sources .. so 40 mins ?

when doing the unfication type essays always have sources such as Narmer Pallette, Ceremonial Pallette and of course the well-known Mereruka.. those are the basics u neede to say anything relevant to the Question

I dont think they would ask u a specific question about "how narmer Unified Egypt"

quote: G.Calender "the narmer pallette could represent upper Egypt smiting foreigners in the Delta regein"
this suggests that unification happend through other reasons (like marriage between upper and lower rulers etc) so basically if u have sources and understand them well-enough, u can actually say anything relevant.

The Questions are going to be very generic like
"Evaluate Foriegn contacts of O.K.A.E" or for Unification: "Evaluate the Impact of TWO Egyptian Kings" and so forth ..

Kao

HSC
hipPo3 said:
Establishing the capital at Memphis
- This was done in then Unification Period by Namer (menes/Scorpion King) in the 1st dynasty
- i guess u could tie this in with Unification...
Is there much to say for this one that's completely separate from unification? Because it still feels like unification/establishment of the capital is pretty much the same thing :s

Last edited:

butterflybird

HSC
what is this mereruka business? i've heard of the other ones eg narmer palette

it would actually be really good if we got 'influence of two kings' you could talk about ANYTHING depending on what you had studied ^_^

hipPo3

HSC
Kao said:
Is there much to say for this one that's completely separate from unification? Because it still feels like unification/establishment of the capital is pretty much the same thing :s
it is basically in the same time period .. Narmer found Memphis, therefore it goes in Unification

butterflybird said:
what is this mereruka business? i've heard of the other ones eg narmer palette

it would actually be really good if we got 'influence of two kings' you could talk about ANYTHING depending on what you had studied ^_^
Mereruka is the vizier to Teti (the first pharaoh of the 6th dyansty). His tomb has details about practically everything except the obvious pyramid contructions and whatnots .. Hes a good source because most things u say can be justified by his tomb alone. Its good not just to rely on that one source alone, so for unification till 6th dynasty try and get atleast 3 sources u can back up with anything (narmer pallette, Mereruka, Herodotus etc)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)