question on increasing function (1 Viewer)

cossine

HSC
hmm i tried a few times still not sure how to do it, don't we find the domain of g(x) and intersect with domain of f(g(x))?
So you have been given the domain of g. When it say map [1, 4] to [2, 6] this means [1, 4] is the domain and [2, 6] is the range of g. Actually the question does not explicitly state the domain of g but without making that assumption the question is not doable.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Where are you guys getting these random proof questions 😭 I stg I'm doing all these and everything is all normal and then I come on here and you have these wack ass questions 😭😭😭

mathsbrain

HSC
N/A
So you have been given the domain of g. When it say map [1, 4] to [2, 6] this means [1, 4] is the domain and [2, 6] is the range of g. Actually the question does not explicitly state the domain of g but without making that assumption the question is not doable.
So we are looking for domain of f(g(x)), x values of g only makes sense if x values are within 1 to 4.
then f takes the y values of g as its x values, which means f takes values between [2,6] but domain of f is [0,5], so surely that means f takes values from 2 to 5? so I'm not sure how you are getting 3.5?

cossine

HSC
So we are looking for domain of f(g(x)), x values of g only makes sense if x values are within 1 to 4.
then f takes the y values of g as its x values, which means f takes values between [2,6] but domain of f is [0,5], so surely that means f takes values from 2 to 5? so I'm not sure how you are getting 3.5?
No, you want find {x : 0<= g(x) <= 5}. Notice x = 3.5 satisfies the condition.

#so surely that means f takes values from 2 to 5? so I'm not sure how you are getting 3.5?
This is not what the question is asking. When we consider domain we need to consider values of x not g(x).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)