Question on the HSC - Speeches. (1 Viewer)

Divinity_

HSC
What are the possibility that Board of Studies ask us to do specific speeches? I know that in 2002 they did.

dizzyizzy

snubble
HSC
Like anyone actually knows the possibility...
Doesn't matter if they do - essay-->speech isn't a big jump.

cd285

HSC
Even if they did i would like to think that they would give us Paul Keatings speech because not only is it easy but its the one that most schools do really well whereas Sadat is just barely skimmed over and i doubt that they would really think that students would memorise 15 pages worth of content nor even mark it. so maybe study at least 4 speeches in depth and just memorise key quotes from the others

please correct me if im wrong

sazleberry

HSC
Even if they did i would like to think that they would give us Paul Keatings speech because not only is it easy but its the one that most schools do really well

I hope not... My teacher discouraged us from doing Keating because he said so many students choose it because its short. Alot of my class are doing Sadat because they knew alot about him from Modern history...

Eek maybe i should learn some of Keatings!

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC
Agreed, my teacher said that if there they do ask for specific speeches, then it would be Paul Keating's.

I really hope they don't! Something must have gone chronically wrong for so many students in 2002! Hopefully, the reason that they haven't done it since is because they've realised that it'll screw most people over.

But then again, Board of Studies are evil incarnate. Bastards.

lilainjel

Rambler
HSC
My teacher was a lot of help (sarcasm). Basically named half the speeches could possibly be specified, but i suppose she gave reasons to back up her claims. These are the ones I'd agree with.
Keating - Short, everyone knows.
Deane - The easiest speech, most likely everyone in the state would've studied it.
Bandler - Apparently HSC exams are written near beginning of the year (?) So since this is a relatively short, new speech, and also because of the recent context with Rudd's apology, she thought this might be selected.

I feel the only speech that would kill everyone if it was specified is Atwood's :cry:

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
i say the chances are very very low because alot of kids got stuffed in that 2002 question.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
i say the chances are very very low because alot of kids got stuffed in that 2002 question.
Not really - if people actually bothered looking at the question:

Compose their conversation which should include consideration of the structure, language and ideas of the text.
In your answer, you must refer to Abraham Lincoln’s, Government of the people, by the people, for the people, 1863 and at least ONE other speech.
If you had actually researched, the Abraham Lincoln speech (aka Gettysburg Address) is like 250 words.... That's like 4% of Sadat's speech.

Zak Ambrose

Title Cost $20
HSC
Not really - if people actually bothered looking at the question:

If you had actually researched, the Abraham Lincoln speech (aka Gettysburg Address) is like 250 words.... That's like 4% of Sadat's speech.

yes you're right,
from the 2002 notes:

Most candidates were comfortable with the compulsory inclusion of the Abraham Lincoln speech.
This indicated the importance of studying every set speech as presented in the HSC Prescription
list.
i got confused with another module where people stuffed because it asked for a specific text.

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
That's why I read Sir William Deane's speech today, because if they did ask for specific speeches, I could only think that it would be the shorter speeches (as stated above already).

Still, I REALLY hope they don't.

SSRabbitohs2009

HSC
My teacher was a lot of help (sarcasm). Basically named half the speeches could possibly be specified, but i suppose she gave reasons to back up her claims. These are the ones I'd agree with.
Keating - Short, everyone knows.
Deane - The easiest speech, most likely everyone in the state would've studied it.
Bandler - Apparently HSC exams are written near beginning of the year (?) So since this is a relatively short, new speech, and also because of the recent context with Rudd's apology, she thought this might be selected.

I feel the only speech that would kill everyone if it was specified is Atwood's :cry:
I enjoyed Atwood's speech- quite humourous. But, I think Sadat's speech would screw everyone. I would start crying.

lilainjel

Rambler
HSC
I enjoyed Atwood's speech- quite humourous. But, I think Sadat's speech would screw everyone. I would start crying.
Our grade would be sending our teachers presents if Sadat were in it. :drink: They made our whole grade know it because it was compulsory in our assessment.

HSC
Our grade would be sending our teachers presents if Sadat were in it. :drink: They made our whole grade know it because it was compulsory in our assessment.
we did that but for suu kyi.

if they specify a speech, im fucked!
and then i would blame my teacher who said that if they specified a speech they would have to provide us with the speech. so yeah.

tayz92

HSC
One teacher at my school had a premonition that they would specify a speech and ask for 3 speeches.
I hope to god she is wrong.
But i have a feeling they might specify as they cut out a few speeches this year - hence making the topic 'easier'.

MatildaR

HSC
My teacher thinks they are going to specify one because the elective is 'easier' than others, she also thinks it'll be one of the Australian ones because they seem to be focussing on Australian speeches this year.

susstorm

HSC
My teacher thinks they are going to specify one because the elective is 'easier' than others, she also thinks it'll be one of the Australian ones because they seem to be focussing on Australian speeches this year.
yeah, my teacher thinks the same. for our generic essays, she recommended us have a third speech that was delivered by an Australian.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Hurlstone? :p

Yeah, I wouldn't mind that. Nearly half the speeches are Australian anyway.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)