Question on Vietnam!!! (1 Viewer)

nanaxdd

HSC
N/A
Why did the South Vietnamese regime come to rely so much on the United States in the period from 1954 to 1965?

How do I answer this question with the 10/10? What points should I talk about the most? Please Help.TIA

memaa

It's unpossible!
HSC
They became increasingly invovled as they didn't want the Domino of Vietnam to fall.. The president of South Vietnam- Diem was assasinated and thats when the escalation of the war began to take place. LBJ didn't wanna be seen as the president to lose the war. So when you look at it, look at the instability of the south, the growing numbers of the VC, the fact that America didn't wanna look like they were losing the war and by that point they weren't they were winning battles strategically but losing them pyschologically particularly with TET (68).

“Moreover, the United States began involving itself directly in the political affairs of South Vietnam, at first supporting and then contributing to the overthrow of the repressive regime of President Ngo Dinh Diem in 1963. From that point on, events moved swiftly as U.S. intervention mushroomed both politically and militarily” (Dudley 13).

I hope that helped..

cait33

Doctor's Companion
HSC
nanaxdd said:
Why did the South Vietnamese regime come to rely so much on the United States in the period from 1954 to 1965?

How do I answer this question with the 10/10? What points should I talk about the most? Please Help.TIA
the Sth Vietnamese had to rely on the outside help because they were not functioning properly as a state themselves- the despotic leaders (diem) had close ties to the americans (until he alienated himself from the US and they condoned his assassination)
american money was being used to build much of the infrastructure (and dancehalls...)

Kennedy kept up aid in his policy of tentative escalation sent in the "military advisers" who were key in training their army to fight the north- they supplied all (i think) the ammunition and weapons and helicopters (and pilots)

the South could not possible have sustained itself through those years with out aid from the US. whether this was a good thing or not is another question
:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)