Question regarding course material, books, texts, etc (1 Viewer)

darkroomgirl

HSC
Okay, so this might sound like a dumb question, but anyway.

Im doing Classical Mythology this semester and I've just checked out the list of materials that I needed for the course. I nearly fell off my seat when it listed 60+ materials, most of which appear to be library books! Do I necessarily need to borrow/buy all of those books? And also, would it be wise to borrow BEFORE lectures start?

Hey, someone has to ask the stupid questions!

Last edited:

lozzie17

HSC
Darkroom girl, no, I asked a similar question so you aren't the only one. But I think people thought mine was silly, because nobody replied to it!

"On the outline of my courses (from handbook) it tells me some of the texts I need for some subjects - but others don't say anything. Do I need textbooks for these subjects or will it just comprise of online readings etc - will my lecturers get mad if I don't have these books on first day(expecting us to go to co-op) - or will they tell us on the first day what these books are that we need? Ta"

Shaking Paper

HSC
I was wondering how to know exactly what to borrow/buy and when too. So I guess we're all team dumb.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
A lot of what you will find are termed References/Further Texts or something similar, text books generally fall into 3 categories

Set Text (or similar): you need to buyt it
Reccomended Text/Reading: Dont need to buy it, but you should read it, references will be made to it during lectures
References: more further shit, dont really need to read it unless your REALLY into your subject.

there are also readings (usually contained in a course reader, or set from one of the first 2 categories) readings are usually examinable, whereas reference books usually arent.

to simplify: find out wat ur set text, if any is. borrow the other books if and when nesescary, or buy them if u wanna be a nerd/think they'll help

EDIT: or what he ^^^^ said

Shaking Paper

HSC
So, they'll just list the texts during one of the first lectures and we need to write the title down and scuttle off to get them?

Can someone explain what the Student Notes that you can buy are to me?

lozzie17

HSC
Ok well so long as I don't have a rehash of year 12 when on the first day back after term off my ex english class my teacher screamed at me in front of everyone for not having some book which we were supposed to have . . I swear I wasn't told . . and I'm not - as these posts may suggest that scatty . . .im actually rather organised! :p

Last edited:

o0_jolie_0o

HSC
first of all, i don't think it's silly to ask such a question... since I was too scared to list them myself...

how did you find out what materials you needed??? I'm curious...

I don't have a clue about my course... especially the education course... what does the 'workshop' involve...

if they expect us to have all the matrials in first lecture... well they should've told us at least a day or 2 before we have the lecture >_< or else i'll just walk in empty handed with a pen and a notepad to jot whatever the lecturer says that i can remember (i'll most likely forget within 5 secs if i dun write it down asap) down

lozzie17

HSC
wikiwiki said:
the first lectures are always introductory "this is what we do in this subject and this is what you need"

relax dudettes.
Yeah thats what my friends at unsw said. They said you get like outcomes and stuff. . .

darkroomgirl

HSC
o0_jolie_0o said:
how did you find out what materials you needed??? I'm curious...

I don't have a clue about my course... especially the education course... what does the 'workshop' involve...
On the My Learning section (from MyStudy) in your UniKey, if you click on a UoS it lists all the texts and sources you need :)

lozzie17

HSC
Yeah, Im seriously hoping that I don't need to read all those things, cause some of my courses have a gagillion things for me to read.

Shaking Paper

HSC
Well I figured a lot of them would be, like, small extracts anyway...

lozzie17

HSC
Hey, can someone please tell me what the student copy things are? Ie the things that you get at the student copy centre? My friend just asked me if I had them, and I am completely lost. Are they needed? Do they cost money? Is this something that will be explained in the first lecture, and are my friends just freaks who are really prepared!?! ta

gerhard

HSC
Shaking Paper said:
So, they'll just list the texts during one of the first lectures and we need to write the title down and scuttle off to get them?

Can someone explain what the Student Notes that you can buy are to me?
Student Notes (im assuming by this you mean a course reader) - a book produced by the uni for your course. It contains photocopies of readings, other stuff written by your lecturer, course info etc. Most likely you will not have to search out any of those 60 books, as the relevant sections from all of them will be in your book from the copy centre. These cost around 20ish dollars usually. Maybe more for you because photocopies from 60 books sounds like it would be quite thick. This will be all youll need to buy

lozzie17

HSC
Gerhard, these books from the copy centre, do we NEED them or are they just reccomended? And should we get them before first day or will our lecturer tell us if we need them or not? Does every subject have one

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
I just answered this question in the other thread :)

ujuphleg said:
This is in the wrong thread but anyhoo...

Student Notes are also referred to as "readers" and are photocopied, bound books that are distributed by the University Copy Centre on the instruction of your lecturer, in direct relation with your course.

The main purpose is to provide you with a wider variety of sources for investigation, rather than the opinion of just one person in a textbook.

They are usually anywhere from $15 - $40 depending on the unit of study. They can be ordered online through MyUni/MyStudy. Some subjects may require you to get your readers from KopyStop on Mountain Street in Broadway.

Some subjects only have a reader, others have a reader and a textbook, others have no readers. It really depends on what your lecturer has decided upon.

Don't fret, you'll find out what you need in your first lectures.

gerhard

HSC
if your subject has a reader, then its been prepared by your lecturer so youll either have one and need it or not have one. its the only thing you will have to buy for your course though. pretty much everyone buys readers and no one buys textbooks. if you even have a textbook for history subjects, i dont know.

it doesnt really matter when you get it. probably in the first couple weeks of uni would be best. there are quite long queues though it might take you half an hour to get it. you wont need it for lectures, youll probably need it for tutorials, and youll need it for studying.

dont worry so much, less stress. stuff will get explained to you a hundred times anyway.

viviena

rawr.
HSC
darkroomgirl said:
Okay, so this might sound like a dumb question, but anyway.

Im doing Classical Mythology this semester and I've just checked out the list of materials that I needed for the course. I nearly fell off my seat when it listed 60+ materials, most of which appear to be library books! Do I necessarily need to borrow/buy all of those books? And also, would it be wise to borrow BEFORE lectures start?

Hey, someone has to ask the stupid questions!
Haha, I did that subject as well, last year... I don't think it was possible for anybody to do all the readings, but if you just get the reader and pay attention in the lectures, you should get a credit. You shouldn't need to buy any books, and if you need to borrow, make sure it's a few days before the actual lecture/tute (each week has a topic), as they're often all borrowed out after then -- tutes, IMHO, are a greater priority in getting readings than lectures. In any case, you can find a lot of readings online. Also, decide on a tute topic early (for your paper), and borrow the books in advance, if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)