Question regarding good tutors 4 ACCG310/340 and BUSL320 (1 Viewer)

blackrider89

HSC
So far I have had more bad experiences with tutors at MQ than the good ones. Hence, for the above subjects supposed to be very rigorous and important I wanna choose good tutorial classes to enroll in.

Can u guys suggest me some? I've also heard that Florentia (Bishop) is good at teaching BUSL250/301, is she good at BUSL320 as well? And 4 ACCG310/340, can u guys recommend me some names? Is Ann Sardesai 4 ACCG301 a wise choice?

virus_89

HSC
James Lau was the LIC for us in, sem 1 2010 for Accg310 and hes probably one of the best tutors for the subject also...i wasnt enrolled in his class but i went to a few of his anyway, because my tutor was horrible.

He gives extra notes and goes through everything thoroughly imo.

tajid73

HSC
agree james lau is the best tutor for accg310 but he's really strict at marking quizzes though.
and eventhough ur not enrolled in his class just go there, noone will notice.

340- My tutor was Kymberly Lu. She's really good and if you have questions after tut u can talk to her for like half an hour to an hour and she'll answer it happiliy.
Barbara is a good one as well, however she's really strict at marking quizzes.
Some ppl said Medhat is a good tutor but I dont think so.

busl 320- hmm all my friends said florentia bishop doesnt know how to teach.
My tutor was Tony, he's good but is an EXTREMELY hard marker. I would suggest u to enrol in the LIC's tut (Hope), as he won't allow those not enrolled in his class to attend

blackrider89

HSC
agree james lau is the best tutor for accg310 but he's really strict at marking quizzes though.
and eventhough ur not enrolled in his class just go there, noone will notice.

340- My tutor was Kymberly Lu. She's really good and if you have questions after tut u can talk to her for like half an hour to an hour and she'll answer it happiliy.
Barbara is a good one as well, however she's really strict at marking quizzes.
Some ppl said Medhat is a good tutor but I dont think so.

busl 320- hmm all my friends said florentia bishop doesnt know how to teach.
My tutor was Tony, he's good but is an EXTREMELY hard marker. I would suggest u to enrol in the LIC's tut (Hope), as he won't allow those not enrolled in his class to attend
Do u know their mails so that I can mail them and ask them about their tutorials' date?

Thanks heaps in advance. And is Tony u mentioned a Tony Shum, a Hongkongnese guy?

Last edited:

tajid73

HSC
hmm i dun have their email and there's no point of asking them now as they won't know when are their tutes. They might know like at the end of July after all results are released and enrolment starts so that unit admin can then allocate how many tut classes are needed and stuffs like that.

And plus I do not think JAmes Lau will tell you his tut time. My friend asked him about this last year and he was replying like "it wouldnt be fair if he's telling you".

And yes that's the Tony I mentioned, I think he taught accg323 and 310 as well.

VLTURBO

HSC
Florentia is the WORST tutor I have ever had. If you have her for busl320 change classes straight away!!!

virus_89

HSC
ugh, im doing busl320 this coming sem...hope i dont get this bad tutor you people speak of

theaussieinhk

HSC
Hey Guys,

When I did ACCG 340 I found it so hard, so I asked my friends which tutor they had and if they were any good. I ended up going to 3 tutorials for 340 (including the one I enrolled in) and I had a blast! (I know its not for everyone but it worked for me)

ACCG310:
Colly He (she is the best tutor ever - she also tutors 323)
James Lau

ACCG340:
Alicia (forgot last name)
Yige Ma

BUSL320L
Tony Shum

blackrider89

HSC
Umm...I'm finding a way to figure out the teaching schedules of those "good" tutors...Any suggestions men?

tajid73

HSC
YigeMa is a new tutor. She just finished her degree last semester but she's soooo smarttt..
My suggestions are probably ask your friends who are having them as their tutors this sem as what times and what days their tutes are. If everything stays the same (number of students enrolled, number of tutes and stuffs), probably their classes would still be at the same date and time.
But as I said you will not be able to find out about the exact time the tutes are as even the tutors and unit administrator don't even know now as people have not enrolled yet, but there's nothing wrong trying to send them email asking them about this a few days before the semester starts. Some tutor might want to answer you but I am sure some won't (the likes of tony shum and james lau).

Ou yes forgot to mention colly was great, she was unit admin when i did accg323 and my friends said she was great and before accg310 final exam, I went to her consultation time and she helped me a lot.

mcboobies

HSC
florentia is great as long as you don't rock up to tutorials completely clueless.

she expects you to at least have a clue during the tutorials, so if you're one of those people who rock up to tutorials just to take down notes she'll grill you. otherwise she's great at motivating you to actually do some work instead of bludging your way through the semester only to cram at the last minute.

as for me, i bludged my way through the semester anyway. i just have a look at the lecture notes, then read up a couple of paragraphs from the textbook prior to the tutorials and i ended up looking like i knew something, which was great considering the rest of the class consisted of international students who can only read out paragraphs from textbooks but couldn't actually answer a question if their lives depended on it lol..

tony shum on the other hand, what a bastard. from corresponding with him in regards to some submission issues i had with the mid sem assignment, he shot me down with some of the poorest english i've ever seen. so i lost my 10% from the assignment and still passed busl320.. thank god lol..

if the busl320 course i did in 2009 is anything to go by, your cheatsheet for the finals is paramount for passing the unit. i was lucky to have been handed various different cheatsheets handed down from prior students, which i used to compile my one.

i'd say if i didn't have those notes to compile off, i would've ran out of time trying to compile my own ones from scratch and most likely would have failed.

X

xeuyrawp

I completely came to this thread late, but it needs to be said that teachers do read this site and that you should always be of the attitude that anything you post online could be traced to you.

Essentially, don't post something if you can't handle everybody knowing that you said it.

X

xeuyrawp

So tutors come on BOS and check uni sections? daaa hell.....:eek:
This site has >370,000 members and something like 10 million monthly hits, so it's reasonably large. Secondly, lots of members continue to use the site from high school to uni study to uni teaching. Lastly, it's pretty common to do a vanity search nowadays and because of bos' above popularity, google preferences it highly in the search hits.

blackrider89

HSC
I completely came to this thread late, but it needs to be said that teachers do read this site and that you should always be of the attitude that anything you post online could be traced to you.

Essentially, don't post something if you can't handle everybody knowing that you said it.
Should they know how bad/good they are? I think it
s good 4 them.

X

xeuyrawp

Should they know how bad/good they are? I think it
s good 4 them.
I agree 100%; teachers should know whether students think they're good or bad.

However I'm not saying the above for the sake of tutors; I'm saying it for students who might regret putting some stuff online about their teachers. It's happened before here, so /shrug.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)