Question regarding past papers (1 Viewer)

TigerMaster

HSC
So is it effective to write in dot point when doing past papers? It will be less time consuming and u get the main point so u can do as much past papers as you can. Is it advise? My teacher doesn't want me to do that so what's ur advise?

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
I'm not very experienced in the area of past papers but here is what I would do:

If I wanted to focus on coming up with main ideas and 'dot points' I would use prompts or other 'questions' that are standalone which could be gotten from teachers and other websites. I feel like past papers are so you can get the feel of putting your thoughts down on paper in essay form and to be familiar with test structure (this would be lost if dot points were used). I assume you're talking about subjects like English & Legal Studies that require Extended Responses and not something like Music where dot points when explaining the concepts is sufficient.

I'm not sure how much reliability my answer has but hope it helps!

kashkow

HSC
So is it effective to write in dot point when doing past papers? It will be less time consuming and u get the main point so u can do as much past papers as you can. Is it advise? My teacher doesn't want me to do that so what's ur advise?
Remember, understanding is more important than the past paper.

If you already know the exact answer to a question back to front, you don't need to do the question! If you are not too sure, maybe give it a go or do dot points to refresh your memory of things. If you have no idea or are really struggling with a question, probably try writing out the answer and looking at the answer (or do dot points to start understanding the topic and getting a feel for the main ideas/understand it more - however you like to learn).

So it really depends on what you are trying to do. If you are testing yourself for time or want to know if you can succinctly write a response to a question, do the writing.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
If you're doing humanitarian subjects and you want to practice then sure dot points are a valid way of ensuring you cover the main points without wasting too much time trying to make it sound nice. However, it's probably a good idea to do some exams under timed conditions if you really want to test yourself and then writing the responses you do in those exams in full then having a friend or teacher look over them for proper feedback.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)