Question Regarding Your School and Your UAI (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
How exactly does your school effect your UAI?

I know that if you are ranked middle in a class not doing so well, you can get pulled down.

My school is ranked pretty badly, 540th last year to be exact. However that was a particularly bad year, and my grade looks to be just about the best that's come through the school in maybe 6 years or so.

To escape being pulled down, you just have to be right up the top, right? Ranked 1-2?

I'm damn worried. My school is one of those ones that get a whole lot of -30 UAI people. And I need high 80s.... only about 3 people acheive that each year :(

serge

HSC
School affects UAI by how hard they mark your assessments
Generally speaking, schools that expect high marks will
mark harder so that the students try to perform at the
higher level...

If your school doesnt expect high UAIs they might
give you easy tests, which might under-prepare you
for the HSC.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
Serge is right...

But also, I dont think that your actual school has an effect on your UAI, because at the end of the day, you are being ranked as an individual against all the other individuals in the state. It is not as if you UAI gets scaled down because you go to a school that is 500th in the state. You just happen to go to a school that does not get many students who rank against the rest of the state, the only effect that this has on you is that perhaps the teaching staff are not quite as good as other schools.

If you go to a school like that, it is good to be ranked at the top of the class, because assumably you are not going to get a good aligned assessment mark otherwise. The alignment of your assessment marks is when the candidature at your school does come in (which makes me a hypocrit - ie the first paragraph...lol). If you are at the bottom of an ordinary school, your are going to get poor assessment marks, which ultimately give you a lower HSC mark.

That is my understanding...tell me if I'm wrong.

dawso

needmorecustomstatusspace
HSC
serge said:
School affects UAI by how hard they mark your assessments
Generally speaking, schools that expect high marks will
mark harder so that the students try to perform at the
higher level...

If your school doesnt expect high UAIs they might
give you easy tests, which might under-prepare you
for the HSC.
yeah, i agree wit that, so many people think they are going well cause in their school assessments they are getting high marks, particularly in english where it is all up 2 the marker

good indications are by doin past hscs and seeing what u get, normally trials are fairly standard as well

as 2 ur school average affecting ur uai, technically it doesnt, its just the fact that ur in a nature of ....lesser acheivers that it brings ur own marks down, but that being said, if ur school assessments are near the top, and if u hav a fairly large gap between u and others, then its alrite

this happened with me last year, wen i did earth and enviro science, all year i was just equal first cause we nearly all got 100% in the assessmnet tasks, buit then after the trial i was nearly 20 marks ahead of the rest of them, thankfully my hsc results reflected this difference and my mark of 90 was alrite i suppose

just 2 clarify somethin, ur school wont affect ur uai, as ur uai is independant of any school scaling, for example.....someone at james ruse with the identical subjects and identical final hsc marks as someone at Unadata (some school i made up out in middle of no where) then they get the same uai,......

dont confuse this with them getting the same internal assessment marks....for example, someone hu gets first in 4unit maths at ruse, cannot necessarily be compared to someone hu gets first at Unadata....although they may hav the same ability......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)