• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Question: The Best Visa Debit Solution? (1 Viewer)

Geezer28

HSC
N/A
Hey all,

I just thought I'd raise the question, what bank is the best for students to take out an account with? My bank at the moment is fine (BoQ) for everything that I need, depositing, withdrawing, ATMs and EFTPOSing. No fees because I'm a student. But it doesn't have a Visa Debit option, like ANZ or NAB do.

Do you use a Visa Debit? Which one, and does it cost anything per month?

~ Geez.

sXcGuRl69aU

I'M BREAKING LOLZ
HSC
fOxYcLeOpTrA89 said:
ANZ's Visa debit card is also good
it is NOT, it is a fucking awful, terrible card, i used to have one and i would never, ever recommend it to anyone, ever.
the fact that you have to press credit to withdraw money from atms prevents you from using it at any place with poker machines (so pretty much any pub, club, or bar anywhere), the account balance was ALWAYS inaccurate and i swear to christ there was money just like... disappearing out of that account. also the magnetic stripe is this silver holographic thing and a lot of eftpos terminals had a lot of trouble reading it, i went through three cards in the year or so that i had the account with them. fucking terrible.

the st george express freedom account with visa debit card, is however, excellent. i'm not a student and i pay $5 a month which includes unlimited st george atm withdrawals and eftpos transactions/cash-outs. they let you choose from two cards, one is the normal every day style of atm card and the other is similar but it does not have your name on it and the numbers are printed on the card rather than embossed or whatever. this is an advantage because if you misplace your card, you can go into the bank and get a new one straight away, rather than wait a week for them to post a new one out to you. it also means when you sign up for one you can get the card straight away.

in conclusion, st george good, ANZ fucking terrible.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
yeah I'm thinking I might get rid of my ANZ debit account.

I specifically asked for my account NOT to have an overdraw facility, just like any debit card. So if there aren't enough funds it just says 'insufficient funds' and i use my other card and there's no problem. I ticked the box on the application form.

But they didn't do it. So I've overdrawn my account a couple of times because I wasn't sure how much was in it. I'm used to being told "NO MONIES" when I have no monies.

Plus fees. If St George has no fees I'll switch to them.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
ANZ visa debit sucks cock and costs $36 a year.

You can get a credit card w/ the Commwealth as a student with no fees and a low limit so it's like a VISA debit but not shithouse.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I have a westpac account *student so I pay no fees except when u use other ATMS* and a debit mastercard linked to it, I pay no fees for the mastercard unless the place u buy things from charges you extra to use it but thats the same as all of them

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Commmonwealth bank is reeli good, No fees cause your a student.
and also ATMS are freakn everywhere.

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
sXcGuRl69aU said:
the account balance was ALWAYS inaccurate
um, that's because it's a CREDIT CARD.

I have had an ANZ Visa Debit card for a few months now and it has been perfectly fine, no troubles at all. If you want to use it for basic stuff you need a credit card for these days, like online shopping, I'd recommend it. The $3 a month fee is better than paying fees for using EFTPOS and never finding an ATM with St George.

efhat

HSC
st george is great.......im on the student account, no monthly fees, unlimited everything, and i got a visa debit with it.......i got a credit car with them as well $45 yearly fee and only 9.95% interest......but yeh the only thing is the problem of not enough atm's......but yeh get it

goodridgewinner

HSC
Guess what.
BOQ are actually getting Visa Debit cards this year!
I went into Redbank BOQ the other day, and just out of curiosity, I asked if they were getting them in...and she said "Yes, but not until later this year (2008)"

So there we go. I purposely joined this forum so i could tell you haha.

boris

Banned
HSC
Most credit unions (mine does anyway) have low or zero fees and have visa debit cards

lala2

Banned
HSC
Everyone seems to use St George, the overwhelming majority of customers I serve who pay with Visa Debits use St George. Anyone know anything about NAB's?

Azamakumar

bannèd
HSC
Yeah I got mine. No fees for students, sms verification for purchases made online (ie they send you an sms [for free, because theres heaps of asians out there], and funds are frozen until you approve the transaction), unlimited electronic transactions @ NAB atms/eftpos etc etc.

Good deal imo.

EDIT: The only thing is you wont get declined if you can't afford a transaction, you'll just overdraw. I'm not really worried by that, but if that $30 fee worries you because you might, just apply for an overdraft I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)