QUESTION TO ALL 2nd Year and above uni students (1 Viewer)

4jess7lov

HSC
I have a question about tutorial marks.

Is it true that you get rly rly bad marks if you dont talk at all and they realise you dont talk much at all. What has your past experience been? Did u get like 2/10 for not talking at all or do they just give you say 5/10 cause u turned up.

I'm worried cause i dnt talk much at all in some of my tutes and today one told me you dont talk much at all.

Tutorial marks are 10-15% for my subjects so im worried now :S

any past experience/marks that you guys can share to show me how the whole tutorial participation mark thing rly works.

Iruka

HSC
N/A
I think the idea with tutorial participation marks is that if the tutor likes you they give you good marks and if they don't like you then they don't.

If they don't even know who you are, I guess you have a problem.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I have a question about tutorial marks.

Is it true that you get rly rly bad marks if you dont talk at all and they realise you dont talk much at all. What has your past experience been? Did u get like 2/10 for not talking at all or do they just give you say 5/10 cause u turned up.

I'm worried cause i dnt talk much at all in some of my tutes and today one told me you dont talk much at all.

Tutorial marks are 10-15% for my subjects so im worried now :S

any past experience/marks that you guys can share to show me how the whole tutorial participation mark thing rly works.

wait, what?

what subject is this you are referring to?

arts and engineering tutorials are taught differently.
the latter is more introverted.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
you don't normally get told what your tute participation mark is, so it's hard to tell whether someone who barely participates is getting a mark of 1/10 or a mark of 5/10.

spence

HSC
My ancient history tutor told us that we get 5/10 for attending, and the rest for participating. But it varies

4jess7lov

HSC
im refering to arts...not engeneering Uncle but thanx...anyone else? im srsly rly scared i want to do well but my tutor even told me i dont say anything ever..not one word :S does anyone know their past tutorial particiaption marks and what they did? or what they have heard about the topic? anyone?

plzzzzz

spence

HSC
maybe you should talk more then? just a thought

DTFM

HSC
im refering to arts...not engeneering Uncle but thanx...anyone else? im srsly rly scared i want to do well but my tutor even told me i dont say anything ever..not one word :S does anyone know their past tutorial particiaption marks and what they did? or what they have heard about the topic? anyone?

plzzzzz
One of my friends got high distinctions for all of his assignments and exams in two of his subjects but only got credits for his overall marks in them because he didn't speak in class. Another friend failed a class despite getting passes and credits for his assignments for the same reason. You have made a gigantic mistake by not participating in class discussion, and to be honest, people like you who don't contribute are scumbags who just leech off of the other students ideas without giving anything back. Fuck you.

Last edited:

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Why not speak up? It's a simple solution to a pretty simple problem.

Also, a previous poster said they got 5/10 for attendance and the other 5 for actual participation and that's been my experience as well. I've always gotten full marks for participation because I don't know when to shut up, plus, there is nothing worse than attending a two hour tutorial where 90% of the class says nothing. I have no idea how you learn anything or further your ideas if you don't participate either.

Rafe14

HSC
If your not talking because you have social anxiety, ask your doctor for meds to help you overcome your anxiety (SSRI's, propanol or benzos) or alternatively ask your tutor what you can do, perhaps take an alternative assessment to make up those participation marks.

If you dont have SA, then make the effort to speak up.

4jess7lov

HSC
so you get 5/10 and 7.5/15 just for turning up? and for the record i talk in 2 of my subjects. the other two i hate and hate the tutors so i am just very quiet

izzy88

HSC
so you get 5/10 and 7.5/15 just for turning up?
you can't arbitrarily say that all courses (or arts courses) will give you half the marks just for turning up. It depends on the uni, the department, the subject, the lecturer or the tutor (you get the drift).

If you're that worried about it, go and talk to your tutor and ask them! And talk in the tutorials you've got left.

cottoneye

HSC
N/A
One of the principal skills that employers expect arts graduates to possess is the ability to express themselves clearly. If you cannot speak up in a room full of other students (excepting those with disabilities) then you are going to have real trouble later in life. In the workforce you might not like you boss, your colleagues, your clients, or the task at hand but that is no excuse for not participating.

Tutorial discussions serve a number of purposes, they help you refine your ideas, hear different viewpoints, practise arguing with other intelligent people, and practise vocalising complex ideas. As someone else mentioned, there is nothing worse than being in a tutorial when most of the class do not speak. The more people speak the easier it is for everyone. We have all been in classes where the tutor dominates the discussion and may alienate some students with their style, politics or method. The more other people speak though, the better for everyone.

I would suggest that you consider why universities insist on having tutorials (considering they are the most expensive way to teach students) and what you can get out of them. They are more of a burden on the institution than the students, appreciate and take advantage of them while you still can.

HSC
I've just finished my first semester, and for all of my units I've been told my participation mark. The way that its been worked out has been different for all of my units.

In Politics, participation was out of 15. My tutor said that we got one mark for each tutorial that we attended (so 10 marks for 10 tutes if you went to them all), plus a mark out of 5 for your actual participation. But someone else I know who did this unit this semester had a different tutor to me. She went to all 10 tutes, but only got 8 marks. I guess it must vary between tutors as well.

In English, my tutor was just happy to give one mark for each tute where you participated to her standard. This was marked out of 10, but there were 12 tutes (so you didn't actually have to attend them all to get full marks). But because this was mostly a workshop/share your ideas tute, everyone would have participated accordingly if they attended.

My othe two units had an arbitrary "the tutor has a list of things, and then they'll make a judgement" process.

So I guess the moral is that its completely different for each tutor as well as each unit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)