Question: Tutes first week? (1 Viewer)

zaqwerty

HSC
Do all lectures, tutorials and practicals begin on the 25th February, or is there a week of, say, just lectures/just tutorials/etc..? Because I know that my sister does a week of just lectures and the tutes begin week 2..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Question...

Depends on the subjects, usually theres no tutes, but its best to go to your first lecture and ask it or or the lecturer will actually tell you.

Kegs

HSC

I hate threads with such broad names. Question... come on people! At least give us an idea of what it is about! That is the point fo thread names.

CloudStrife

HSC

Week 1 has no tutes unless they specify that there are tutes. Actuarial subjects generally also have tutes in the first week.

X

xeuyrawp

Kegs said:
I hate threads with such broad names. Question... come on people! At least give us an idea of what it is about! That is the point fo thread names.
I've given up asking... I just change the titles now. :p

CloudStrife said:
Week 1 has no tutes unless they specify that there are tutes. Actuarial subjects generally also have tutes in the first week.
No, incorrect.

If your tute is before your first lecture, still go. At the very least, you will find where your room is (sounds less important than it is), and at the very most, you'll meet your tutor and have an informal session.

If your lecture is before your first tute, make sure the lecturer tells you whether the tute's on. They'll probably mention it in the lecture, but if they don't, either stick your hand up and ask when they're near the end or ask them personally after.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A

French/languages have tutes first week?

X

xeuyrawp

jb_nc said:
French/languages have tutes first week?
Do any of your classes actually have 'tutes'? Most language classes just have seminars or whatever.

Anyway, if going to the first tute is a hassle for anyone (say they'd have to come in early), they can always ring or email the convener and ask them.

edialeda

HSC
Yeah when I did French last year the seminars (2 lots of 2 hours) started first week.

X

xeuyrawp

edialeda said:
Yeah when I did French last year the seminars (2 lots of 2 hours) started first week.
Yeah, it's the same with GMN; 2x2hours. Starts first week.

maka

HSC
Does anyone know when WebCT will be available with unit outlines etc?

Its just that I have 2 tuts on Monday morning and if its only available on Monday morning, it will be a difficult scenario of to just end up rocking up for uni for textbooks/readers and a few coffees.

I am thinking LAW would just follow its usual pattern of tutes in Week 1 but just want to be certain of it.

g_dob

HSC
i heard that at unsw and usyd they dont have lectures/tutes during oweek.. im guessing its different here?

miss-smexy

HSC
mmm are you sure we go to tutes in the first week? =/ Because I thought otherwise...

X

xeuyrawp

miss-smexy said:
mmm are you sure we go to tutes in the first week? =/ Because I thought otherwise...
If your tute is before your first lecture, still go. At the very least, you will find where your room is (sounds less important than it is), and at the very most, you'll meet your tutor and have an informal session.

If your lecture is before your first tute,
make sure the lecturer tells you whether the tute's on. They'll probably mention it in the lecture, but if they don't, either stick your hand up and ask when they're near the end or ask them personally after.
^

maka

HSC
I dont know why they dont put up WebCT with all the units the Friday before semester so people can work out their classes in the first week via the course outlines.

9 am Monday.... might skip it if its not 100%

HSC
the mentors at my thing said that they thought law tutes are on during the first week...
if so, that means the first thing i go to on monday would be a law tute, but i dont want to rock up if it's not on, so i just wanted to clarify with others if they are on or not???

antisheep

HSC
Surely there wouldn't be any harm in rocking up even if it weren't on... everything i've heard suggests that law does run tutes first week, but if no one turns up then you'll know where your class is and have a chance to check things out, the o-week stalls etc.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Law does tend to run tutes in their first week. Arts doesn't most of the time. That said you are better rocking up because sometimes they mark people absent if they dont turn up in the first week and thus they have already used an absense.

X

xeuyrawp

chocolatecookie said:
the mentors at my thing said that they thought law tutes are on during the first week...
if so, that means the first thing i go to on monday would be a law tute, but i dont want to rock up if it's not on, so i just wanted to clarify with others if they are on or not???
I have no idea how many times the same thing can be said:

melsc said:
If not it might be on webct. Generally with law subjects though there are almost always tutorials in the first week!
maka said:
I am thinking LAW would just follow its usual pattern of tutes in Week 1 but just want to be certain of it.
pwaryuex said:

If your lecture is before your first tute,
make sure the lecturer tells you whether the tute's on. They'll probably mention it in the lecture, but if they don't, either stick your hand up and ask when they're near the end or ask them personally after.
That being said, you really don't have to go to your first tute. Or your last tute. Or any tute in between.

This is uni, where noone gives a shit what you do, until it comes time for your tutor to mark down your attendance/participation, and you'll be FAILED. If you have the attitude that you couldn't be bothered to rock up to your first tute in case it's not on, I'm telling you now, you will not do well.

At uni, you need to put effort in to ensure that you do well, and this means going out of your way with assignments, rocking up to tutes, etc etc.

Blackboard is alive for a few of my units - check if they're open for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)